Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Homelessness

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:33 pm
Post subject: HomelessnessReply with quote

Working back in the city after 10 years, one thing that's changed is the number of homeless people begging, sleeping rough on the streets. Some of it reminds me of the US, people curled up on the footpath in some blankets or a sleeping bag while people walk past them on the way to work in the morning, sitting on the ground holding a sign asking for money in the afternoon.

Some are clearly drug effected. I've had one shirtless little bloke walk past me into the middle of a side street, yelling out "who want's a fight? Who wants to punch on?" I stood there having my smoke, avoiding making eye contact with him until after a minute or so he seemed satisfied that no one was responding to his challenge and stalked back to his spot.

Another youngish Asian guy with a mullet likes to yell at nothing and join morning commuters heading to work by marching along the footpath in the middle of them, arms swinging and knees lifting like a soldier in a parade, while yelling stuff I can't understand.

People can become homeless for a variety of reasons, drugs, alcohol and mental illness account for a number but not all, and it becomes a catch 22 situation where they don't seem to be able to access a number of services unless they have somewhere to live, but if they had somewhere to live, they wouldn't need access to several of them.

Imagine trying to get a job if you're homeless.

I read this article and also saw a bit about it on the news. It's not the panacea but it has to help.

Quote:
Ozanam House, the new 10-level homelessness supercentre on Flemington Road in North Melbourne. It will be Australia's largest accommodation service for rough sleepers when it opens its doors in the coming weeks.

Around 25,000 people experience homelessness in Victoria, including almost 400 in the city and inner suburbs.

It began in 1953 as a night shelter for single men, but the redeveloped Ozanam House will welcome women for the first time. It will also be a one-stop centre for support services.

As well as housing for 134 people, including 60 short-term crisis accommodation units, the building will have a range of drop-in health services, including dentistry, optometry and alcohol and drug intervention.

There is also a tech hub, with free wi-fi, cloud storage and a place to recharge phones. A gym, laundry and library are also available, while a cafe will provide meals.

It's hotel room style accommodation, with locking doors, rather than dormitory style and each room has it's own bathroom/shower.

Ideally, something like this provides an opportunity. With an address, access to support, shelter and food and the ability to maintain personal hygiene and launder clothes, there's the chance to get employment, move into a rental or share house and re-enter society, vacating the spot for the next person in need.

I really hope it works and it doesn't become The Gatwick v2.0

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/victoria/would-we-want-to-live-here-inside-australia-s-newest-largest-homeless-shelter-20190628-p522ch.html

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:22 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

<snip – please give the racism a rest, thanks.>
Our ex-servicemen and women have daily struggles and the support for them is lacking to say the least.
Meanwhile, the Government is making Billions upon Billions above their revenue forecast from Iron ore and Gold... crazy world hey.

Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:35 pm

its pretty grim, you are right Stui it has become a lot worse the last few years.
The end of Elizabeth St near Flinders st is an absolute cesspit after dark. The people are all alcoholics and druggos. There is a girl everyday on corner of Collins and Elizabeth holding a sign everyday that reads is he 3 months pregnant and homeless. The has been holding that sign for 2 years

I see beggars now on their knees and elbows begging. third-world stuff.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:54 pm

If ya back in the city Stui we have to catch up for a beverage or ten. I see it as well, I have a few meals to give away on my way into work tomorrow. If you are on Centrelink the cost of housing eats up most of your income, throw in utilities. As told to me, "least I can afford to eat". Many have mental issues and no one will give them a job let alone support. I have helped two people get into emergency accommodation but that runs out and is not permanent.

The Voters voted for themselves and not others. A tax cut means less Government revenue which means cuts in services as we have to have a surplus. We have to care for others or send out execution squads and remove them, you can't have it both ways.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:42 pm

Happy to catch up for a drink Culprit, I'm on Elizabeth St not far from the Vic Market.

WoY, yeah I've seen one bloke on hands and knees with his head on the footpath. 10 years ago it was nothing like this. I went to the US and was stunned, came home got a job in the city and I'm transported back to Frisco.

Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:09 pm

Sometimes you have to wonder how many are genuine. Pretty easy work for tax-fee $400 per day.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/fake-beggars-alleged-operation-melbourne-cbd-000225001.html

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-15/professional-beggars-intimidate-women-tourists-melbourne/6621824

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:28 pm

Just from observation I'd say the number of genuine cases has increased a lot. The professional organised beggers were there 10 years ago, but it's a very different CBD.
Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:14 pm

I have seen these old Chinese women begging, i knew something was suss. Next time i will film them
Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:16 pm

Also, be aware of fake buddhist monks giving you some worthless trinket and then expecting a donation. these guys are chinese scammers as well. they often hang around Degraves St
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:53 am

I had leftovers from yesterday and packed up a container and dropped it off to the guy I see daily. He's very appreciative and I don't judge people who are doing it tough as I have been there. Give them food or a coffee and if you want to give cash give to the Salvos as they do more for the homeless than most I know. You can pick the fake ones, they have nice phones and are wearing $200 runners.

Stui, I'm at the Barracks so we can meet in the middle. Start and Finish early, normally around 3pm so let me know if you interested for Friday and can get out in time? Have Fattos Bar this side of the bridge $5 beers and $10 Pizzas.

Next week I am out as Train works on my line so I am working from home.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:20 pm

Where's the barracks?

I don't work Fridays, just do 4 days a week and loving it.

I'm not able to get out early this week or next, so I'll take a raincheck and we'll figure something out.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:02 am

You Lucky Bugger with a four day week. Victoria Barracks opposite the "Shrine of Remembrance". I am quite at home here as it's the last blue stone building in Melbourne with bars on windows and armed guards on every gate. Razz

OK, I am pretty flexible and can get out on release at anytime.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:53 am

This morning I noticed my regular crew so to speak have been moved on. Vic Pol at work doing real policing once again.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:38 pm

Culprit wrote:
I had leftovers from yesterday and packed up a container and dropped it off to the guy I see daily. He's very appreciative and I don't judge people who are doing it tough as I have been there. Give them food or a coffee and if you want to give cash give to the Salvos as they do more for the homeless than most I know. You can pick the fake ones, they have nice phones and are wearing $200 runners.

I did the food thing a couple of times in Frisco. Portion sizes are huge and every joint will put your leftovers in a take away container. Breakfast particularly, one morning I ate enough for 2 meals and still had 2 meals left over so I took it and gave it to two homeless people curled up on the footpath on the walk back to my hotel.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:09 pm

If the government keeps tanking the dollar to help out Gina and Twiggy there are thosands of people in Thailand, Vietnam . Phillipines etc that are heading homer.to Australia. Many of them own homes in Australia that their kids are living in so they will get the boot, Others will demand social housing. I know 5 who gone back in the last 6 weeks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: