Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Grundy re-signs.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:42 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

mugway05 wrote:
... Didn’t Richmond sign Dusty and Lynch on $1.2m+ deals.
No one raised an eyebrow about those deals. ...

No. I wish they did. If they paid Lynch $2million a year I'd be happier.

"Free agent ... Tom Lynch has agreed to a heavily backloaded seven-year deal worth close to $6.5 million. ...

It is understood that Lynch will be paid in the vicinity of $500,000 for 2019, 2020 and 2021 ...

The Lynch deal is about $920,000-$930,000 a year over the seven years..."

(Niall)

People did raise eyebrows... that Lynch came so cheap.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:48 pm

There are no guarantees if you veiw Sydney who after a flag in 2012 signed Buddy on a 9 year deal 2014
They haven’t won a flag in his 6 seasons at the club—not lay down masaire

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:51 pm

Oops make Buddy deal 9 yr for $10 million
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:52 pm

There are no guarantees if you veiw Sydney who after a flag in 2012 signed Buddy on a 9 year deal 2014
They haven’t won a flag in his 6 seasons at the club—not lay down masaire

simon tonna 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:58 pm

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
He's still only 25... like most big men the best is probably still to come

simon tonna wrote:
Is that a contract length record?

Buddy was 9 years, $10m. Whitfield & Coniglio have already signed 7 year deals at GWS

Sorry, for a Collingwood player.
If so, we must of been scared we were going to lose him.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:00 pm

K wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
... From the reports I saw, the Club was never fussed about the money - it was the 7 years that worried them. I don’t quite understand why the 7 years was a problem. He’ll be a great player for at least 5, barring some bad injury, and we’ll be rebuilding then, anyway. I don’t ever want to see him go...

We'll have to wait and see. This is the same thing they said when they re-signed Trav Cloke. ("He's very durable. His father was very durable. He must have durability genes.") If our club could really predict durability, maybe there wouldn't have been 8 years of injury carnage.

This is a peculiar view to express. Every time a great player is available for contract, their price and length of contract is dictated by what other clubs will pay. Collingwood played ducks and drakes over the length of Thor’s next contract for a long time and it appears that they finally accepted that he wasn’t going to stay unless they gave him 7 years. When those decisions are made, you can’t have club officials saying, in effect, “We can’t contract him for that long because we don’t think we will be able to get him on the park”. Collingwood’s injury and rehab record has been very worrying for years but the recontracting of our best player can’t be allowed to be dependent on perceived inadequacies of the hired help.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:12 pm

What is the peculiar view you think is being expressed?

Presumably the club (and Ned G. wasn't around then) did truly believe Trav would age better than he did. But that's not the worst mistake the club has ever made (if you can even call it a mistake). And obviously some sort of projection of future performance has to be a factor in contract negotiations, unless you can persuade the player's manager to agree to all sorts of performance clauses in the contract.

Last edited by K on Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:15 pm

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
He's still only 25... like most big men the best is probably still to come

simon tonna wrote:
Is that a contract length record?

Buddy was 9 years, $10m. Whitfield & Coniglio have already signed 7 year deals at GWS

Alistair Lynch signed a 10 year $3Mil deal with Brisbane to leave Fitzroy in 94 as a 25 year old.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:38 pm

Exactly every one —it’s not nothing new but oh shit lets get a story that sellls newspapers
K 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:54 am

Pie-supporting journo P. Ryan:

Is signing Grundy for seven years too big a risk?

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/sport-thought-is-signing-grundy-for-seven-years-too-big-a-risk-20200118-p53slo.html

"However, signing Grundy on such a long-term deal appears riskier than the decisions of the Giants to secure Josh Kelly, Stephen Coniglio and Lachie Whitfield on deals of at least seven years that end when they are all well into their 30s.

The risk is not about Grundy's talent.

The risk surrounds the value of ruckmen compared to champion midfielders or key forwards when determining how vital they are to winning a premiership.

How much of a salary cap does a club want to allocate on a ruckman, albeit the best one in the game?

At the moment, a star key forward ... is the AFL equivalent to a quarterback in the NFL, the money men, with midfielders more akin - in determining value only - to a left tackle or a defensive end.

Where a ruckman sits is less clear as just one of the past 10 premiership teams have included a ruckman that finished top 10 in the club's best and fairest.

But at the moment, supporters still assume that clubs can't afford to lose their best player so if the Magpies had wanted to frame a reasonable, albeit controversial argument about letting Grundy walk they may well have been shouted down (who would be a list manager?).

Still, Geelong and Hawthorn supporters got over the loss of Gary Ablett and Lance Franklin when the clubs they left won flags the season after they departed.

While the players hold the cards at the moment, there will come a time soon enough when clubs take the punt on losing a star rather than locking them in until retirement."
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:55 am

The value of a player is very subjective
There’s more than one way to view it
Firstly it’s market driven what will a rival club pay to extract that player from your list
Depending on the position played and the perceived value a rival club may be willing to pay “overs” in terms of cash or years
Secondly a club looks at the value of a player differently. It’s a juggling act with 44-46 players who have to be retained each year whilst balancing your list with the best players to give you the best chance of success

Let’s look at Grundy
He’s a star no doubt so when suitors from his home state come calling it’s a big decision for the player
Return home a star and be handsomely rewarded
The new club must not only satisfy the players needs but also his current club
If his current club thinks it can afford to let that player go then the draft picks offered are the true value
Getting the best deal can lessen the blow of losing a established star via the draft but it’s risky

So we decided to keep Grundy a wise move I believe
I’m no expert on AFL but I can relate my experiences from NRL to this situation
When I was with the Brisbane broncos we met each month with the senior coach list manager retention committee and me (the bean counter)
It was my job to keep up to date financial records so we know what we had spent and what we could afford to spend going forward including cap increases and other changes
A coach will want to keep a player but list management might see it differently after discussions with the players agent
They might want X and the club may have set aside Y and the difference at times can be quite large
It seems from the outside looking in it wasn’t so much the dollars but the length of the deal with Grundy
He wanted to secure his future but the club was mindful of not over committing to one player a balancing act
So when weighing up everything let’s look at it not knowing what we know
Grundy is a very good ruck man yes we wish every hit out went to our hands but that’s not the case
His mobility is second to none and his endurance is revolutionary
His marking has improved and he’s a better than average kick
What sets him apart is his clearance and second effort work and his ability to run opposite players off there feet
He’s certainly in the absolute top echelon of current players
At the broncos our coach always said ask yourself one question when valuing a player
Can you still win as many matches with out the player as you do with the player !!
If the answer is yes then his value isn’t high if it’s no then he’s valued highly
So can we win as many or more matches without Grundy as we did with him absolutely not
We don’t have a like for like replacement that’s for sure

Lastly the thing I think people don’t understand about negotiations is a player will often leave money on the table (take less) to ensure the club can keep other key players to give him the best chance of premiership success
Grundy has done that
He’s left enough on the table to give us the best chance to keep the next wave like JDG Moore etc
I expect the club will re-sign both likely on 2 year deals giving us some breathing room
Dunn Goldie Varcoe Reid Langdon will all be gone by then
Pendles will be in his last year or 2 Sidey on a reduced deal likely veterans deal Beams the final year of his deal (if he hasn’t gone before)
The salary cap will be larger and our ability to offer more then will be possible
Lastly one thing we as supporters don’t know is how much off field earnings a club assists a player get that all adds into his earnings
A powerful club like ours can open many doors now and after footy for player like Grundy and maybe they take $200k less a year now for the opportunity for more lucrative earnings post football thus extending there maximum earning potential

I get where people come from with the length of the deal many things can happen on 7 years but Grundy’s durability is outstanding
Whilst there is no guarantee going forward I’m more than comfortable with the deal
thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:20 am

Thanks Qldmagpie.

Really appreciate your insights into the internal mechanisms of clubs around these complex salary cap issues.
K 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:44 pm

Tony Shaw:

"I look at Buddy's body now and he might not get to nine or 10. He (Grundy) is 26 but ruckmen are a different breed and they are only one jump and one bad landing and one knee hit away from not playing for a long time.

"I would have given him five. That would have been heaps. If he didn't want it, sometimes you have got to go to the well and hard. He is a good player but the thing about Brodie is that he has become like a midfielder. Have a look at the last couple of premierships that have been won – they didn't have a dominant ruckman.

"Good luck to him. I have no worries about him. He is a ripper but, to me, you are one jump, you are one contact, you are one bad fall away from doing your knee as a ruckman."

"We lost a grand final and a preliminary final but we should have won the preliminary. As a matter of fact, that last seven minutes of ruck work, it wasn't his fault, but the organisation around the ruck work was horrible and there was probably a lack of leadership in those last seven minutes.

"I felt worse after the preliminary final loss last year than what I did in the grand final the year before."

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/grundy-s-seven-year-contract-is-too-long-shaw-20200128-p53vct.html

P4S will now change his name to P4S(bnT) (but not Tony).
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:34 pm

Tony’s entitled to his opinion. Frankly, as long as he isn’t coaching Collingwood, he can do and say anything he likes.
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:34 am

Problem: Need clickbait for our AFL page
Answer: Collingwood is the most read-about AFL team - get a quote from Tony Shaw. It's certain to be controversial.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20
Page 20 of 20   

Jump to: