Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Grundy re-signs.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:57 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

There's still the De Goey, Moore and Langdon threads.
Monco Matt Aries

Do it to THEM before THEY do it to YOU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:42 pm

Glad to have re-signed him but reports are it is $1m per year. If that is correct then I feel that is overs for a ruckman, especially one that does not feed his midfielders enough. If we payed $700k for him that would be fine, but it feels way too much. We need to spread the cash around to build a deep list that can win a flag. Teams that invest too much at the top end tend to fail. Have we set ourselves up for 7 years of near enough is good enough? The premiers of the last 15 years since probably Dean Cox in 2006 have had average but capable ruckman, not a superstar. Hawks, Cats & Tigers whom have won multiple flags in that time I don't believe had a high priced ruckman. Time will tell I guess.

MONCO: Your life.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:14 pm

$1M a year for a player of Grundy's calibre is trivial.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:28 pm

He's still only 25... like most big men the best is probably still to come

simon tonna wrote:
Is that a contract length record?

Buddy was 9 years, $10m. Whitfield & Coniglio have already signed 7 year deals at GWS

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:32 pm

So Grundy says on 7 news that Bucks made him a couple of Ham and Cheese sandwiches which sealed the deal He ate the sangers and signed up.

Bucks responds on Twitter.

Quote:
Nathan Buckley
@ncb_cfc
I poured my heart into those tuna, cheese, tomato and avocado on sour dough toasties (w herbed salt and cracked pepper) Took me an hour to prepare. Only to be reduced to “ham and cheese” 😐Reassessing the relationship right now
@brodiegrundy

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:35 pm

Haha

Don't know what there was to consider about a 7 year/$7m deal, which colour biro to use?

skaman Taurus

One step beyond.......

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:41 am

Not overs by a long shot. Brodes is blue chip. we build around him. smart move Pies
skaman Taurus

One step beyond.......

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:46 am

Monco Matt wrote:
Glad to have re-signed him but reports are it is $1m per year. If that is correct then I feel that is overs for a ruckman, especially one that does not feed his midfielders enough. If we payed $700k for him that would be fine, but it feels way too much. We need to spread the cash around to build a deep list that can win a flag. Teams that invest too much at the top end tend to fail. Have we set ourselves up for 7 years of near enough is good enough? The premiers of the last 15 years since probably Dean Cox in 2006 have had average but capable ruckman, not a superstar. Hawks, Cats & Tigers whom have won multiple flags in that time I don't believe had a high priced ruckman. Time will tell I guess.

nup. sorry. but players of Grundys quality are rare , he is equal and more important than big Len Thompson, and IMO better, and that's sayin something as big Len was exceptional.

mugway05 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:39 am

Is Grundy our only player on $1m+ a season? I don’t see why everyone is up in arms about this. Didn’t Richmond sign Dusty and Lynch on $1.2m+ deals.
No one raised an eyebrow about those deals. Grundy is a equally as important to us as those 2 players are to the Tiges.
The salary cap increases every year. $1m in 5 or 6 years time will be equivalent to $700k now.

Great move Pies. Now on to De Goey & Moore.

Not so stressed about Pendles. He’s not going anywhere

Check out: www.myspace.com/mugway05
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:04 am

Kane “The goose “Corns says

A big investment for a player who is “overated “

Another Collingwood bash if you look at let’s say Tom Lynch 7 yr deal
And there are a lot of 6 yr deals around

thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:27 am

skaman wrote:
Monco Matt wrote:

nup. sorry. but players of Grundys quality are rare , he is equal and more important than big Len Thompson, and IMO better, and that's sayin something as big Len was exceptional.

Agreed. Hopefully though he has more success at winning flags than Thommo did. Personally want at least 2 flags during the 7 years.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:08 am

Look at it as 2 x half million deals for two top drawer players.
One DURABLE high quality first ruckman on half a mill a year.
And one inside mid who leads your clubs clearances and averages mid twenties for possessions every week on half a mill a year.
Bargain and he’s only taking up one locker
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:31 am

mugway05 wrote:
Is Grundy our only player on $1m+ a season? I don’t see why everyone is up in arms about this. Didn’t Richmond sign Dusty and Lynch on $1.2m+ deals.
No one raised an eyebrow about those deals. Grundy is a equally as important to us as those 2 players are to the Tiges.
The salary cap increases every year. $1m in 5 or 6 years time will be equivalent to $700k now.

Great move Pies. Now on to De Goey & Moore.

Not so stressed about Pendles. He’s not going anywhere

He probably is the only one at Collingwood on $1M a year but not “everyone” is up in arms about that. Most of us don’t care what he is to be paid, just that he’s been re-signed. From the reports I saw, the Club was never fussed about the money - it was the 7 years that worried them. I don’t quite understand why the 7 years was a problem. He’ll be a great player for at least 5, barring some bad injury, and we’ll be rebuilding then, anyway. I don’t ever want to see him go (I repeat that he is just about the most influential player I’ve seen in our jumper - and what I’ve seen live goes right back to the 60s) but presumably if he decides to go home in 4 or 5 years that can happen on this deal and we can extract good value for him. You don’t let guys like this go because you can’t meet their price - Grundy is a once every 50 year player across the entire competition. If our team is good enough, he can give them enough clearances, first use of the ball and midfield grunt to win several flags. If we fail, it won’t be because we paid Thor “overs”.

I just want to add one thing to that: Grundy is not my favourite player and will never take that spot from McKenna, Thommo, the Richardsons, Greening, Daicos, Millane, Russell etc, etc. in fact, in many ways I find his footy uninteresting to watch. But I’m not commenting on likes or aesthetics or style of play. I simply do not think I’ve ever seen a Collingwood player dominate the opposition as consistently - and as thoroughly - as he does.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:20 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
... From the reports I saw, the Club was never fussed about the money - it was the 7 years that worried them. I don’t quite understand why the 7 years was a problem. He’ll be a great player for at least 5, barring some bad injury, and we’ll be rebuilding then, anyway. I don’t ever want to see him go...

We'll have to wait and see. This is the same thing they said when they re-signed Trav Cloke. ("He's very durable. His father was very durable. He must have durability genes.") If our club could really predict durability, maybe there wouldn't have been 8 years of injury carnage.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:30 pm

If Grundy can improve his hits to advantage by 10% and we improve our centre clearances by a similar margin... it will be Flagpies 2020. Is one player worth a million over 7 years? Dunno, but Grundy plays as 2 so it's only like 500k each. Hairbear money.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 19 of 20   

Jump to: