Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Grundy re-signs.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:21 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Kelly, who is half the footballer, just got a 6 year deal and Treloar is already contracted to the end of 2025. You can’t expect our best player to take less than is on offer for players with half his ability and a quarter his influence.
K 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:31 pm

scoobydoo wrote:
... Cannot give in because it will set a precedent for other
Players to hold the club to ransom. ...

Too late! Probably too late by decades (though it depends who you are).
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:44 pm

^ ^ ^

I guarantee if I was a current collingwood player and the club had to create a precedent to keep the best ruckman in the comp, I wouldn’t give a stuff about any precedent.
I would be a lot happier knowing we have just done whatever it took to allow us to remain a premiership chance.
Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:20 pm

^ ... unless they were your papers that the club stamped in order to free up the cap space Smile
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:56 am

Matt Lloyd says this
Gary Lyon says that

Shut the :;:;;;up and leave it to Grundy & the club

Nothing but ruck makers

K 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:10 pm

In fairness to Lloyd, he also says a lot about Daniher.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:09 pm

^ ^ ^
That’s a valid point in part but if I’m under contract at the club, then I’m not going anywhere without being paid out. Or if I am coming out of contract and I’m not wanted because of cap space, then there’s every chance you will find a new home with a club that does want you ( assuming you’re not a spud )
And if you are a spud, then your future was always limited in the first place.

There’s always fall out in salary cap management but these days the good clubs work a lot harder at setting you up elsewhere if you are part of the collateral damage.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:30 pm

I wonder whether Collingwood has the big 2020 re-signings better-covered than the media beat-up would have us believe. Subject to anything we do over the next few days, Collingwood has 20 players coming out of contract next year. Most of those are not “guns”. There are some untried kids (Bosenavulagi, Tohill, Tyler Brown, Will Kelly, Keane and Murphy), some role players (Mihocek, Mayne, Greenwood, Aish, Scharenberg, Appleby), developing youngsters (C Brown, J Daicos), a spare-part (Roughead) and the 5 big-ticket items (Pendlebury, Grundy, Cox, Moore and De Goey).

That’s effectively half our list. It looks to me like there is very substantial potential for doing what needs to be done, depending how those 20 players go over the season.

There’s also the 2019 list, comprised of Reid, Crocker, Varcoe, Madgen, Sier, Noble, Wells, Goldsack, Dunn, Lynch, Wills, Murray and Broomhead.

When you look at it like that, there are not too many players on inflexible contracts. They should be comfortably able to d what’s necessary - of course, it probably isn’t in the Club’s interest to put that message about: you’d probably want the big names to think that they need to meet us halfway.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:49 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
I wonder whether Collingwood has the big 2020 re-signings better-covered than the media beat-up would have us believe. Subject to anything we do over the next few days, Collingwood has 20 players coming out of contract next year. Most of those are not “guns”. ...

Don't worry. The media and the supporters will talk them up into stars who deserve huge and long contracts.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:03 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
I wonder whether Collingwood has the big 2020 re-signings better-covered than the media beat-up would have us believe. Subject to anything we do over the next few days, Collingwood has 20 players coming out of contract next year. Most of those are not “guns”. There are some untried kids (Bosenavulagi, Tohill, Tyler Brown, Will Kelly, Keane and Murphy), some role players (Mihocek, Mayne, Greenwood, Aish, Scharenberg, Appleby), developing youngsters (C Brown, J Daicos), a spare-part (Roughead) and the 5 big-ticket items (Pendlebury, Grundy, Cox, Moore and De Goey).

That’s effectively half our list. It looks to me like there is very substantial potential for doing what needs to be done, depending how those 20 players go over the season.

There’s also the 2019 list, comprised of Reid, Crocker, Varcoe, Madgen, Sier, Noble, Wells, Goldsack, Dunn, Lynch, Wills, Murray and Broomhead.

When you look at it like that, there are not too many players on inflexible contracts. They should be comfortably able to d what’s necessary - of course, it probably isn’t in the Club’s interest to put that message about: you’d probably want the big names to think that they need to meet us halfway.

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head. It would be silly to think the people who are employed to manage our cap aren’t well ahead of the game, despite what some want / choose to think.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:13 pm

This might become one of the Longest Threads on Nicks Ever
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:08 pm

Like all other "long" threads on Nick's, Dave, it will be mostly comprised of posts commenting on how long it is/is going to be. Wink
Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:30 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:

And just 12 months ago, we had a million bucks in the cap to offer Tom Lynch. We picked up Beams instead on a reduced deal as low as $500kpa, stretched to 4 years to get his total earnings up where he wants them.

Leaves us $500k out of that kitty to spend each year.

Up to 12 players took pay cuts of between $30k and $40k to help get Beams to Collingwood - https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/11/29/report-pies-take-pay-cut-to-squeeze-beams-in/ . This was done again by offering longer contracts at reduced rates.

Now.... did the space cleared up by those moves help give us the original $1 million for Lynch or did it come along afterwards? None of the stories mention Lynch at all.

So it could be that we have between $860k and $980k available again. Or maybe 'just' $500k. Either way, we have plenty of wriggle room, even with Grundy asking for as much as 350kpa more this time round.

Guess we'll know more when details of Grundy/Moore/JdG's contracts come out. Or if and when we pitch a massive bid at Jeremy Cameron next year.

I have little doubt that we'll keep all our high priced stars this time around though. And we can thank our not getting Lynch for that as his contract would have been ruinous to our list. Yes, he may have got us a lot closer to a flag this year, but he came back to Victoria with a PCL complaint and with our bunch of you bewt fitness staff, he'd have been a double amputee by round 6 and we all know it. And we'd still have to sack some major talent in order to keep Grundy on the list.
K 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:21 am

Geek wrote:
...And we can thank our not getting Lynch for that as his contract would have been ruinous to our list. Yes, he may have got us a lot closer to a flag this year, but he came back to Victoria with a PCL complaint and with our bunch of you bewt fitness staff, he'd have been a double amputee by round 6 and we all know it. ...

So any questionable list management decisions are justified by our club's farcical injury management. Wink
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:30 pm

Funny how Wiggles players have taken a pay cut to get Kelly there.... and our players are haggling for more money and longer contracts?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 11 of 20   

Jump to: