Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Fans getting warnings and booted for being too loud

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:25 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Joffa's message: This is our place, leave us alone

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/joffa-s-message-this-is-our-place-leave-us-alone-20190616-p51y83.html
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:30 pm

I never got to experience the tribalism in Melbourne of the VFL in the 70's, but fact is those days are gone forever. They aren't coming back, they only live on in memories.

Footy back then was a product of the times, the times have changed

thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:03 pm

Congratulations to Jeff Kennett for now making this discussion about racism.
Great job in providing covering fire for the AFL dipshit:

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/afl-hawthorn-jeff-kennet-new-arrivals-racism-controversy-security-002516014.html
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:37 pm

This is obviously a much bigger issue than I thought.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:26 pm

stui magpie wrote:
I never got to experience the tribalism in Melbourne of the VFL in the 70's, but fact is those days are gone forever. They aren't coming back, they only live on in memories.

i did! it was awesome!! even as a teen!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:31 pm

bump!

Woods wrote:
When footy was so much better — without sushi, armrests and AFL interference
by Terry Brown, Sunday Herald Sun, 16 June 15, 2019

On a soggy Saturday arvo, three quarters and seven cans in, no place in the world was finer than One Eye Hill at Victoria Park.

Amenities? It lacked the lot, and so what? Who cared?

Rain kept the toxic cloud from the urinals down. VB stayed cold in rigid steel cans that stuck to your flesh, and you can only get so wet, right? More fun than footy now.

If we wanted warm, cosy, or nice even, we would have gone to the Hopetoun Tea Rooms.

Footy is not about niceties, though. It was always about the opposite.

For three hours you could randomly, or pointedly, howl at the players, umps and footy gods, insanely cold until all feeling went, steam coming off your booing. You could bait total strangers too, a personal favourite.

Every bit of crap your boss and life had thrown at you since the Saturday before flooded down the hill like noisy mustard gas, better out than in.

The best part was the banter. There was an art to it. Bald headed flog and green maggot would not have made it off the bench, such was the quality.

You needed a thick skin to be at the footy anyway, if only because there were no puffy parkas back then. Duck down was a panicked scream as a kick-to-kick Sherrin tried to scalp some child. St John’s must’ve treated more kids than a Nimbin measles ward. Lucky ones would get it in the forehead, laces out, branded clearly for show-and-tell at school.

Duffel jackets, beanies, bonds singlets, long sleeve knitted footy jumpers and the obligatory beer overcoat were in vogue when football was pure. On a wet day you’d go home several kilos heavier and a lot wittier and better looking.

There were no video screens, sushi, armrests, chairs or inflatable advertising clap sticks, but somehow we survived. No multiple roaming flogs wielding microphones like alien probes.

There was no escape from the rain, sure, but no real problem either.

Yeah, footy had it all before the league fixed it up.

Back in the day Ross Oakley, the chief, kept a straight face and said they didn’t want to own the game. They were just custodians of the treasure.

The difficulty is that the AFL is that dodgy caretaker who steals your silver bit by bit, sending you broke and wondering if you’re mad? With loud barracking an official caution now, we’re down to the bent fish forks.

It is hard to point to the exact moment the AFL got fair dinkum about despoiling the game. They never ask, of course. Stuff just turns up like something on your sole.

How do people come to be the AFL chief, and who votes for them, and who votes for those people, all the way down the AFL centipede?

I’d bet it’s a long time since any of them got wet at the footy, or sat in Row ZZ bleeding from the ears to Nickelback maybe, or drank water labelled beer out of plastic. Betcha.

The rot set in when? The murders of Waverley, the Roys and South? Culling the crepe paper flogger? Branded ovals?

Light blue M&M navy blues, Captain Carlton’s hovercraft, the annual joke that is the draw, changing the songs and hoping no one notices, plastic cups of mid-strength fluids best left in Pathology? The list is longer than the MCG goalsquare, er, rectangle.

Maybe it was when the hills and standing room were morphed into individual plastic buckets to keep fans contained. Booked seats stopped you randomly consorting, the ground DJ stopped you talking and, if you were near a speaker, ever hearing again.

Everything the AFL touches, it screws up then presses ahead with unfazed, in the certain knowledge fans got it wrong again.

Every-poll-ever says to leave the big one alone, and every year until Gill gets fireworks the league will cough up the rancid furball of an idea that is a Twilight Grand Final. They already killed the replay without asking, the one that gave two clubs fans a bonus week’s bliss and some hope of going, but plays hell with the fly-ins and corporates. Boo.

Twilight Sunday games, megawalls, exhibition matches, Roaming Brian, Channel 7 in every nook and orifice, the jumping castle they run-through in Perth that looks nothing like an eagle? Who asked for any of it?

AFLX, under any merciful God, would be taken out the back of Etihad/Marvel/Colonial/Docklands Stadium and dropped in the harbour, weighed securely down by chipped-off corporate signage and oversized zooper goalposts.

The sooner Me-Too claims KissCam, the better. You can’t yell flog, but you can still penetrate a stranger with your tongue.

The core problem is the AFL doesn’t much like football, especially its lack of showbiz and its rough ways. Pity the players. Nuns drink more and spend less time around hospitals and schools. The league has cracked down on drugs too, unless they’re sold at Chemist Warehouse, who sponsor the injuries — ghouls.

The league contracted buggering the tickets up to Ticketek, too busy were they watering the beer, scheduling Chinese matches and inventing rules nobody can umpire without looking like a flog.

Now the best available reserved MCG seats come with an unobstructed view of 30,000 better empty ones.

The video review system has great views too and provides exclusive and conclusive content to Channel 7 — but not the umps, whose cock-ups are then replayed from nine angles in slow-mo.

No wonder they are grumpy and are taking it out on fans who correctly identify the floggishness of their haphazard ways.

(If they do not like being derided, perhaps don’t dress like leprechauns?)

Joffa has had it up to his beanie and he is not alone, but how do you stand up for footy when there’s no standing room?

It is enough to make you scream, except that’s a prohibited weapon now.

No, it’s check your passion at Gate 5, I guess. Bite your tongue or, if KissCam’s on, someone else’s? That’s OK with the AFL.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:33 pm

K wrote:
Joffa's message: This is our place, leave us alone

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/joffa-s-message-this-is-our-place-leave-us-alone-20190616-p51y83.html

brilliant!

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:15 pm

Yeah, congratulations to Joffa on a very well written and persuasive article.

I thought he was a bit overly generous toward Kim Jong Gil at the end, but I guess he was simply being diplomatic.

Personally, I think this whole crowd control stuff is just a symptom of a greater problem of elitism in the AFL - with Gil the main culprit. However, those battles will be for another day.

Well done Joff.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:57 pm

Gil apologised and said he's appalled at the security escalation against fans. I can't believe it!
KenH Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:59 pm

think positive wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

Went to nearly every home game from aound 74 to the 81!

Surprised you didn't go Stui you are around my vintage.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:17 pm

KenH wrote:
think positive wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

Grew up in country NSW mate, didn't move to Melbourne til 85. Just had the transistor radio after coming home from playing juniors and the 7 replay and the Winners on ABC

Redlight 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:34 pm

KenH wrote:
think positive wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

For all of it's rough edges (or perhaps because of them) the game really did feel like it belonged to the fans back then didn't it?

Buying walk-up tickets at Vic park and finding a spot in standing room amongst all the other true believers, hot pie in hand, really was something.

I've been lucky enough to be given Medallion club tickets at Marvel before and did I have a comfortable seat? Yep. Was I protected from the weather? Yep. Did I have more food and bev options? A good view? Yep and yep.

Was it better?

No. No it wasn't.
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:53 pm

This just keeps getting more and more bizarre. An overzealous security guard was going to break up an on field scuffle:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06-18/afl-ground-security-attempts-to-separate-fighting-players/11219462
AnthonyC Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:19 pm

thesoretoothsayer wrote:
This just keeps getting more and more bizarre. An overzealous security guard was going to break up an on field scuffle:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06-18/afl-ground-security-attempts-to-separate-fighting-players/11219462

I just saw that too, that is phenomenal vision.

For all the rhetoric of these people having special training to deal with 'the issues', that proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that the guard has no understanding of The Game.

Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:23 pm

Benny Hill stuff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8   

Jump to: