Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Fans getting warnings and booted for being too loud

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:25 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

The AFL member situation is a bit weird, had a row of around 12 Sri lankans in front and a Spanish family behind, was going off my head at the umpires, the poor kids in front got scared. I did apologise at half time and tried to explain the footy culture, they were nice people, but no idea where they got the tickets from, maybe AFL gives them to tourist operators
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:20 pm

or maybe they live in Australia, and have some kind of membership!

i sit an aisle from the cheer squad, its a rainbow of people, ive never given thought to where they might be "holidaying"from!

the only ones who piss me off are the ones not in Collingwood gear, oh and the droning radio caller directly behind me who talks a load of crap and occasionally smacks my seat with his thighs!.

i try to rein it in when there is kids around, but a kid who was with a reserved seat member a few weeks back, maybe 12 or so, was just getting so upset just at any yelling, the mother said she has never heard bad language before! so shes either in a cult or maybe has a disability. so we did try, but yeah, it was one of those games and we all lost it a bit! As a parent i would remove my kid from the situation, it really wasnt over the top language or yelling.

the umpire thing kills me i admit, as i have zero respect for AFL umpires right now, they are simply not good enough, considering they are full time paid umpires. they are far too inconsistent. the real holwer near our goal line this week, the ump was coping it and he just looked at them and laughed, which really didnt help! the cops walked down the ailse and someone made a joke about behaving and the cops laughed! i mean were they really going to throw about 10,000 of us out?

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:42 pm

They are not full time
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:43 pm

I'm not a full-time supporter, either - but I never abuse an umpire incorrectly. Wink
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:49 pm

The thing with umpiring, is yes they are pretty bad at the moment and I lose my shit at them plenty, even coming from an umpires perspective but, people talk about them being paid etc. They earn less than a 1st year player, the umpires who do the grand final may end up with about the same as a 1st-2nd year player in the end but that's just the best of the best.

Now, how many mistakes does that first year player make? Hell, how many mistakes does your $600,000+, AA superstar make a game? How many mistakes did the reigning rising star make on the weekend?

Its a very weird world we live in where we can forget the hundreds of errors our players make it every single week, but cannot forgive a couple of errors by umpires. Why are they expected to be perfect? Why is an umpire disgraceful for missing a head high tackle but its ok for full time footballers to miss a set shot from 30m out, directly in front, time and time again?
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:56 pm

That’s the dumbest thing I’ve read in a while. Not even worth explaining why.

One has a clear (not so clear any more) set of rules to adjudicate with two helpers for assistance, where common sense rarely prevails in a league governed by a lot grey areas.

The other has scope to be as creative or clinical as possible with ball in hand while being physically targeted by adult males from all angles while 50-100 thousand people scream at them.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:10 pm

If you seriously think adjudicating on the many possible infringements in a split second with 100,000 people yelling at you in any contest is easier than going back and taking 30 seconds to kick a relatively straight forward set shot which you are paid a lot of money to do and spend your entire time practicing for, then you're right, its not worth explaining

Last edited by eddiesmith on Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Abdul The Bull 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:11 pm

This whole situation has me concerned. The ejection process is the least democratic process there is. Who makes the complaint? Who assess the validity of the complaint? Is there an explanation to the ejected person as to why they've been ejected? Is there an opportunity for the ejected to learn from their "indiscretion"? Is there a right of reply or appeal? It's all very Orwellian.
Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:53 pm

Eddiesmith that is nonsense, umpires get a base salary of around 70K plus about 5K for each game. Technically not full time but Stevic etc would be on 150K
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:29 pm

Yeah, they are on less than a first year player who starts at about 90k!

Stephenson last year would have earnt more than the AFL GF umpires, so no its not nonsense
tbaker 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:40 pm

^ And just like politicians, would paying them more obtain better quality stock? I think not. How is making them full-time going to make them pay the free kicks they don't currently see or to umpire more consistently? These are split second decisions they make that paying them more won't fix. Having them full-time means they may end up fitter - that's all - I don't see how it can improve eye-to-brain-to-voice coordination.
tbaker 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:42 pm

From an Age article several years ago:
The AFLUA and AFL are also discussing a potential move towards full-time umpires, although Howe (AFL umpires association chief executive) said there was debate as to whether decision-making would improve enough to make it worthwhile.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:32 pm

tbaker wrote:
^ And just like politicians, would paying them more obtain better quality stock? I think not. How is making them full-time going to make them pay the free kicks they don't currently see or to umpire more consistently? These are split second decisions they make that paying them more won't fix. Having them full-time means they may end up fitter - that's all - I don't see how it can improve eye-to-brain-to-voice coordination.

Better fitness, better opportunities to educate the masses about the rules

I don't know, I was more pointing out how people criticise them because they are paid so well when in reality, they are the least paid people on a football field.

But better fitness does lead to better decision making, no doubt about it. Allows them to get into the best position and less chance of fatigue.

I question whether the shocking umpiring in the first half on Monday was due to the fact 3 of the umpires had already umpired that weekend and were just struggling to get into the game.

However it is unlikely to ever see them become full time, mainly as most of them have much better paying jobs, so would require a massive increase in salary to make it worthwhile for them
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:17 pm

eddiesmith wrote:
piedys wrote:
Jezza wrote:
I've noticed there's been a recent crackdown on crowd behaviour. Is this being directed by the AFL or the stadium management themselves?

... Next, we hear a Carlton supporter calling umpire Matt Nicholls a "bald-headed flog" at half time on Saturday which Nicholls overheard and directed security to have the supporter removed from the stadium.

Matt Nicholls is a "bald-headed flog" who can't handle the truth.
It's literally staggering that he can pinpoint somebody randomly in a crowd, most likely when he was watching the ball, and yet ballz-up the most basic umpiring decisions under his nose, particularly in our games. Dog.

It was whilst they were walking off the ground, its not that hard given how close the crowd is to the umpires at Marvel

Ah, just re-read my own waffle and have noticed the half-time factor.
If said brain-dead maggot was indeed walking off the field at time of sledge, then the likelihood of him seeing his "abuser" certainly magnifies.

Still, that's one Carlton supporter I'd go to war with in the trenches, on principal alone. He speaketh the truth. Laughing

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:32 pm

piedys wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:
piedys wrote:
Jezza wrote:
I've noticed there's been a recent crackdown on crowd behaviour. Is this being directed by the AFL or the stadium management themselves?

... Next, we hear a Carlton supporter calling umpire Matt Nicholls a "bald-headed flog" at half time on Saturday which Nicholls overheard and directed security to have the supporter removed from the stadium.

Matt Nicholls is a "bald-headed flog" who can't handle the truth.
It's literally staggering that he can pinpoint somebody randomly in a crowd, most likely when he was watching the ball, and yet ballz-up the most basic umpiring decisions under his nose, particularly in our games. Dog.

It was whilst they were walking off the ground, its not that hard given how close the crowd is to the umpires at Marvel

Ah, just re-read my own waffle and have noticed the half-time factor.
If said brain-dead maggot was indeed walking off the field at time of sledge, then the likelihood of him seeing his "abuser" certainly magnifies.

Still, that's one Carlton supporter I'd go to war with in the trenches, on principal alone. He speaketh the truth. Laughing

Especially a Carlton game at Marvel, probably not too many people around!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8   

Jump to: