Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

New unsubstantiated betting rumour - please don't

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:06 pm
Post subject: New unsubstantiated betting rumour - please don'tReply with quote

Apparently a new, completely unsubstantiated rumour "swept social media" yesterday (Thu, 8-Aug) regarding multiple players and coaches betting on games.

Eddie's denied it and requested an investigation, and I know that won't be any type of proof for many of you, but don't post names or any alleged details until mainstream media does so.

This thread merely acknowledges the existence of the rumour - before someone else attempts to do so with less care.
Ads7 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:40 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Rumour been doing the rounds the last few days on social media (Twitter, Facebook, Big Footy). The Big Footy thread has now stated rumour has been busted (i.e. is not true). No official story has been published.

A few journos have rubbished it (see below - sorry for sizing).

When asked about it during weekly presser this morning, Bucks refused to comment. Sounded like he didn't want to give it any attention/oxygen.

Only Collingwood official to comment thus far is Eddie:

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/eddie-mcguire-slams-collingwood-gambling-rumours/news-story/f1ad73f7b87a15cf52a1f0822b303d47

This stuff really grinds my gears. Assuming it is BS, text messages have been fabricated (including player names) and spread like wildfire. These are people's lives and it's infuriating that people think it is okay to do this. This comes days after Treloar so courageously spoke about his struggles and the scrutiny AFL players are under.

We don't need this distraction. I hope people are held accountable.

Screen Shot 2019-08-09 at 12.28.14 pm.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-08 at 3.57.23 pm.png

Last edited by Ads7 on Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rick Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:41 pm

I got a phone call from a mate about it around midday yesterday then my old man forwarded a text message in the afternoon.

Other than that, I didn’t hear or see anything about it. I was shocked there wasn’t anything on here until today. Apparently all the posts on Facebook AFL fan sites have been removed?! (I’m not on FB).

Sounds like an elaborate hoax.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:33 pm

To all Nicksters and Moderators
Apologies for my post on this subject

BazBoy

23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:21 pm

I advised you all yesterday but my post was deleted Twitter was flooded with rumours
Wonka 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:25 pm

Do you really not understand why it was deleted?

You don't get it.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:28 pm

Tom Browne's correct, there's something suspiciously coordinated about this smear attempt.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:30 pm

Herald Sun today:

Fake claims 10 Collingwood players were involved in a betting scandal will be investigated by the AFL’s integrity department after an official Magpies request.

Leading media lawyer Justin Quill yesterday warned the fake texts were the worst kind of defamation because of the person’s “egotistical desire to see a lie go viral”.

Eddie McGuire isn’t happy about a fake text that started a Collingwood betting rumour.

But Quill said a screen shot of a text was much harder to trace back to its source than an email or tweet, given the lack of a data trail.

Furious Collingwood president Eddie McGuire yesterday said the AFL’s integrity department was on the case given the serious nature of the claims which swept Melbourne on Thursday.

The league will investigate after being handed a copy of the fraudulent texts, with their integrity department to attempt to source their origin.

As Quill says, the allegations are especially damaging because of how damaging they are and because they mention specific players.

Mark Robinson

@Robbo_heraldsun
Gambling rumor doing the rounds ... utterly false. So, no more tweets thanks.

“Maybe it’s because of an egotistical desire to see a lie they made up go viral.

“It’s sick and its easily actionable but this is the critical thing, only if you can identify who was the person who started the lies.

“The person who does it knows it’s a lie and starts it and spreads it and clearly that person has done it maliciously.

“But if you trace it back it will look like a grapevine and the end of it goes through the whole vineyard.

“It is deviously evil because as with all conmen and liars they use an element of truth around a player being suspended and make it all the more believable. It’s the evil, sinister nature of it.”
If the person who started this rumour is exposed, he will bear the full brunt of Eddie MacGuire's wrath, that is certain.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:35 pm

What did Tom Browne say ????

I have my own theory that there are person or persons unknown hell bent on seeing we never rise to be a power by periodically starting rumours about the team and individual personal at our club—-lot out there hate us and maybe enough to stoop low

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:17 pm

BazBoy wrote:
What did Tom Browne say ????

I have my own theory that there are person or persons unknown hell bent on seeing we never rise to be a power by periodically starting rumours about the team and individual personal at our club—-lot out there hate us and maybe enough to stoop low

Yep I’ve had my say about this too. I’m no conspiracy theorist, but there are people at the top who have it in for Eddie and the club and have no qualms about throwing us under the bus. There’s more, and worse, happening at other clubs and it doesn’t even reach Big Footy. And then there’s the general public, most of whom hate us because they were raised to hate us.

It’s just bizarre how quickly journos like Robinson squashes the rumour, when they’ve had no issue speculating and shit-stirring and completely making shit up in the past. Bizarre.

Someone knows who did it, and it’ll come out. It might just be a 13 year old kid, like the Beams troll.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:24 pm

That “raised” to hate us is factual as the game that Clinton Young dropped a mark at Metrocon I overheard two 10/11 yr old kids in Suns colours say

“Hope we beat this mob —really hate Collingwood “

Yep raised to hate us alright

Cuthbert Collingwood Aquarius

Once was on fire, now all at sea

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:12 pm

If footy was politics and Collingwood was a political party this would have smashed us at an election Wink
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:50 pm

I read about it on big footy yesterday and actually came here to check but saw nothing which gave me some comfort. Then I saw the Robbo tweet which whilst not conclusive also helped

But to link this to a broader conspiracy is a bit ambitious. It’s the post-truth fake news twittersphere we live in today

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:14 am

BazBoy wrote:
That “raised” to hate us is factual as the game that Clinton Young dropped a mark at Metrocon I overheard two 10/11 yr old kids in Suns colours say

“Hope we beat this mob —really hate Collingwood “

Yep raised to hate us alright

2014 :And he never played another senior game again; dropped an absolute PUD after a cracking centering pass from Blair near the boundary.

And those kids are probably cocaine heads now, such is the putrid culture up here, and will be full blown meth addicts by the time that mob ever play a final.

shawthing Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:35 pm

When Slobbo comes out and squashes a rumour you simply KNOW it cannot be true.

Glad to know it! If there was any skerrick of truth to it then Eddie and Bucks would have to go immediately.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: