Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Richmond safe injecting room

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:20 pm
Post subject: Richmond safe injecting roomReply with quote

Build it and they will come.

Variously a bible quote or a misquote from the movie Field of Dreams.

I don't know what the logic was in the location of the Richmond safe injecting room, but I would have thought being close to a primary school and in a residential area wasn't a great start. Whether the logic was Richmond had a high density of drug users or whether it was central enough to attract them from nearby, dunno.

It has no doubt achieved one of it's set purposes, it has saved lives. Quite a lot of them. Hundreds of people have overdosed there and been revived who would have died on the street, so on that front, tick.

However, there are other problems increasingly for residents, local traders and people just passing through with increasing volumes of drug impacted people.

In my mind, this was poorly thought out.

You put an injecting room in Richmond, at first you'll only attract locals. No junkie is going to travel any distance to shoot up if they already have gear and a syringe.

What happens next is back to the "build it and they will come"

The safe injecting room acts like a junkie magnet for the area. So more dealers move in. Where there's a concentration of demand is a good place to supply.

With increased supply through more dealers, more junkies are suddenly willing to travel to where they know where they can get a hit and as a bonus have a safe place to shoot up. Only thing is, not all of them are interested in a safe place, just getting high, so they shoot up all round the place and discard syringes carelessly.

So the down side to saving lives, is residents, traders and shoppers are coping with an increased number of drugfucked individuals causing problems.

One article I read has fiona patton who was behind the idea, blaming Police for backing out of the area and the injecting room hours of operation. But people are shooting up in laneways and in peoples front yards while the centre is open.

So, we have a situation that is apparently getting out of hand and locals, while generally supportive of the room, are getting pissed off with the collateral damage.

What's the solution?

Close it?

Move it?

Open more to spread the joy around?

A permanent Police presence to deal with the dealers and junkies?

"Not in my suburb" is a well known, used and abused notion, but the people who live and work there didn't sign up for this shit and shouldn't have to put up with it. Should anyone have to go out to their front yard wearing gloves to clean up used syringes before it's safe to take their kids to school because a government decided to put a junkie magnet nearby?

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:41 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I drive through North Richmond frequently. Victoria and Lennox St are particularly bad hot spots where junkies gravitate to. The area has been deteriorating for a while and only getting worse over the years.

This problem existed long before the injecting room was set up, but if anything it's only got worse and I feel sympathetic to residents and local traders who didn't sign up for this and have been adversely impacted by this policy to set up an injecting room in the area.

Don't know what the solution is, but the status quo isn't working and something needs to change soon.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:20 am

This is so backward. It’s saving lives and, yes, of course there should be more of them. The status quo that couldn’t go on was the one that existed before the injecting room opened. This is a huge step forward from that, and all the peripheral problems – which sound pretty hypothetical/anecdotal; are you sure this isn’t a beat-up? – can surely be managed.

I find it very hard to believe that this is actually increasing drug use, unsafe needle disposal or the numbers of users; and if all that is merely starting to concentrate in one area then maybe that’s a sign that the rest of the city must be a pretty shit place to be if you’re, say, a homeless addict. What you’re suggesting is like arguing in favour of closing down an underresourced hospital because sick people keep hanging around in the vicinity.

K 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:48 am

Jezza wrote:
I drive through North Richmond frequently. Victoria and Lennox St are particularly bad hot spots where junkies gravitate to.

Can you see that from the car? Shocked
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:21 am

David wrote:
This is so backward. It’s saving lives and, yes, of course there should be more of them. The status quo that couldn’t go on was the one that existed before the injecting room opened. This is a huge step forward from that, and all the peripheral problems – which sound pretty hypothetical/anecdotal; are you sure this isn’t a beat-up? – can surely be managed.

I find it very hard to believe that this is actually increasing drug use, unsafe needle disposal or the numbers of users; and if all that is merely starting to concentrate in one area then maybe that’s a sign that the rest of the city must be a pretty shit place to be if you’re, say, a homeless addict. What you’re suggesting is like arguing in favour of closing down an underresourced hospital because sick people keep hanging around in the vicinity.

No it's not, because I'm not arguing to close it down, I'm pointing out there's a problem. Google "richmond safe injecting room" and look at all the reports. It's not a beat up. Would you be comfortable if you had to check out the front for used syringes or people humping on your naturestrip before letting the kid outside?

I also didn't say it was increasing drug use, but it definitely seems to be concentrating it for the reasons I outlined.

That's a very knee jerk defensive response from you David

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:04 pm

It's just that this is the first I've heard of any negative outcomes related to the injecting room, and I'm not sure where these concerns are coming from.

Here's the first article I found, from a couple of weeks ago:

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/police-say-richmond-crime-has-risen-since-safe-injecting-room-opened-20190522-p51pxb.html

Quote:
Frontline police say the trial of Richmond's safe injecting room has led to a spike in crime and mental health issues in the area.

Local officers were surveyed by the Police Association, which has proposed moving the injecting room to an industrial precinct because of the centre's impact on crime since it opened in July last year.

However, Police Minister Lisa Neville said crime rates had actually fallen since the trial began, which has triggered a fierce backlash from some local residents and opponents of softer drug laws.

Ms Neville's claim is supported by recent data from the Crime Statistic Agency that shows the total number of offences in Richmond dropped from 2529 to 2198 during the first six months of the trial.

There was also a drop in drug-related offences in Richmond from 258 in the first half of 2018 compared to 184 in the second half of last year.

Contrast that with:

Quote:
A snapshot of the Police Association survey released on Wednesday revealed 68 per cent of members believe their workload has increased because of the injecting room.

About 50 frontline officers completed the survey or gave anecdotes in April, representing about a third of police union members working in the area.

Almost 80 per cent of those surveyed – about 40 officers – said they believed crime had increased since the injecting room first opened.

So police have a gut feeling that things are getting worse, but the statistics show that things are actually getting better. Huh?

The quote below would seem to back up some of your other comments, about the clinic attracting more people with drug issues – which makes sense, and can absolutely be remedied by opening more centres elsewhere. It might also go some way to explaining police officers’ perception of having a heavier workload.

Quote:
There has also been an increase in the number of mental health checks and welfare checks of drug-affected people, as well as an increase in homelessness, police members said in the survey.

And in the meantime, while we’re debating all this:

Quote:
Medical director of the medically supervised injecting room, Associate Professor Nicolas Clark, in April said more than 650 overdoses had been safely reversed in the facility within nine months.

I sincerely hope that we're not going to throw that away because of mere NIMBYism.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:27 pm

Quote:
The two-year trial has been declared a success by the Government and the ambulance service, but local residents have raised concerns about some unintended consequences.

City of Yarra Councillor Stephen Jolly said there were more people using drugs on the street than ever before.

"Not everyone who uses drugs is using the centre for a whole number of reasons," he said.

They're not NIMBY's, they support the injection room but want the unintended consequences fixed.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-20/extended-hours-for-richmond-safe-injecting-room/11033350

Quote:
More than a hundred Richmond residents have raised serious concerns about the suburb's safe injecting facility amid reports more than half of drug users in the area are shunning the centre to shoot up in public.

About 150 residents gathered at a community meeting on Wednesday night to discuss issues with the centre, as local councillor Stephen Jolly and safe injecting proponent Fiona Patten called on the state government to make urgent changes to the facility's operation.

So if Fiona Patten thinks there's a problem, would you concede there might be?

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/public-heroin-use-spurs-calls-for-change-at-richmond-injecting-room-20190410-p51cy6.html

man injects himself with young kid watching on.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/moment-man-injects-drugs-in-front-of-little-boy-outside-north-richmond-safe-injecting-rooms-005652683.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAAFAvroQVZXlPKU-ScMWnPp6FSqUE8iq5UJ9-EBJxCS421gFcfNLoTL5tyjafgq-uGe6JN4pxxSeTQW4U0uJPq40MUQHe4NZb-O79zVL9xSErTC5tqw4UEYZXpr_ZLBeUmbhPkaAR_UcFtQ3LQtmBhIITP9Cjd7yaeLNYXkK9aAO

As I said originally, the safe injecting room has achieved it's outcome of saving lives but failed in making residents feel safer. The trick is, how do you keep the positive impact while removing the negatives?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:46 pm

K wrote:
Jezza wrote:
I drive through North Richmond frequently. Victoria and Lennox St are particularly bad hot spots where junkies gravitate to.

Can you see that from the car? Shocked

yes you can, its been like it for years, back when i used to go there weekly when i was buying for my clothing business. the amount of syringes in the gutters...

but i do agree they are a necessary evil, just where do you put them?

not near me thanks, and so say all of us!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: