Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post match. Pies overcome Swans. All comments please

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tbaker 

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 1:12 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

bally12 wrote:
What about Browny's goal on the line. They paid that as "blocking". So you can't shepherd the ball on the goal-line anymore? Not even a replay from CH.7.

That was ridiculous - forwards hold out their opponents on the goal line many a time, and that's the first time I've seen it paid. What exactly was he blocking? - the ball was sailing well over their heads!!!
Ch 7 commentary and replays were very biased tonight - highlighting and replaying all the ones that could've gone Sydney's way, but rarely the ones we we were screwed on. How about Franklin's play-on in the first qtr that should've been 50 - the umpire clearly blew his whistle a few times - and blew it for a sustained period - was a joke. The ch 7 commentary team were just willing the swans on all night, even barracking at times.

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 1:13 am

Pies4shaw wrote:

I was commenting on their goalkicking. There were other culprits but those two were very poor, particularly as they usually make the most of the chances they get. It’s informative to reflect on the fact that we had three contenders for goal of the week (Mayne, Pendles, Wells) but only managed 7 other goals from all those chances.

Aah, right. Thanks Pies4Shaw. Yep, set shot goal kicking was woeful and usually Checkers is reliable with those. Hopefully, just an off game for him. Yet, a few others missed very achievable ones too eg Ben Reid (not Sam!!!) , so I couldn't quite work out why the focus on Checkers.
The goals you mention above from Mayney and Pendles were truly brilliant and kept us in it!!
tbaker 

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 1:17 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
What about the non-free to Grundy. I understand that the Swans player probably didn’t actually intend to elbow him in the face and send him from the ground, bleeding. But that’s scarcely the point. Forceful head contact is forceful head contact and it was occasioned by a bloke throwing his arm back recklessly. That should have been a set shot on goal.

Grundy should've received a free in that contest that led to the last qtr mark and goal to Blakey - Grundy was clearly taken out of the contest (pushed in the back) as the ball came sailing towards the pack, giving Blakey clear run to take the mark.

tbaker 

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 1:21 am

Cam wrote:
What a cow paddock, how long was the grass? No AFL ground has grass that long. Aish kept us in touch in the first half, one of his best games for the club. Mayne was inspirational. Grundy, should have got the medal, and if it wasn't in Sydney, he would have. 64 hit outs, 18 disposals and 8 tackles...

Didn't notice the long grass. Grundy was indeed better than Reid - did much more over the whole game and across the ground. Reid did nothing in the last qtr when the game was there to be won; Grundy on the other hand performed at an elite level to get us over the line...

Cam wrote:
Buddy sooks after every possession. He's an embarrassment.

You mean after every failed possession attempt - looks at the umpires wanting a soft free or blames his teammates...

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 1:40 am

Magpietothemax wrote:

I agree with you: our ball movement seems to have lost some of the aggression and speed we saw last year. I am not sure why: are we attempting alternative methods and structures focussed on limiting the opposition instead?

This is an interesting point you raise MTTM. I take heart in the fact that we can burn off the opposition with fast and direct ball movement when it's applicable (eg in last quarter against Carlton last week), but can also grind it out, when the opposition is defending well against us, such as tonight.
In other words, I'm hoping it's a plus for us that we can play both game styles and still win!! Smile
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 1:46 am

Geez, just watched that incredible goal from Chris Mayne again. It was Federer-esque in terms of brilliant reflex!! Also, has anyone else noticed that Mayney rubs his own head when he's kicked a goal?
Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 2:12 am

watt price tully wrote:
Jezza wrote:
Grundy is a beast!

The best ruckman of the last 50 years.

I suspect you can only really comment on the last 20 or so years Wink
Very Happy
Jezza had to use it all to make a point! But he could be right!
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 8:57 am

Happy to have won obviously. Difficult game to watch though. Mihocek and Reid's misses were verging on unforgivable. Still a good result with our 9 players missing, and there were many positives...

* Well's cameo (would we have won without him, even though he only played a half?) - what a shame he couldn't finish the game
* Greenwood, his best game ever in B&W?
* Roughhead and Aish performed above expectations
* Grundy surpassed even his usual brilliance - career best?
* Langdon amazing with zero clangers, GA or turnovers...
* Pendlebury evergreen once again and a special goal
* Brown continues his development, great goals
* Mayne, terrific contribution
* Crisp fantastic as usual
* Treloar a ball magnet again, not always great with it but "if he has it, they don't"

The thing that frustrated the ABSOLUTE HELL out of me tonight was our apparent insistence on making Wills our preferred forward target. WTF?? He took 2 marks the whole game and I don't think either were I50. He's not De Goey, what were we doing?? OR was he presenting when nobody else was IDK? Either way he didn't make much of it

EDIT: Also, Aliir nearly single-handedly sunk us! Great game by him, need to find a solution next time

Last edited by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 on Sat May 25, 2019 9:31 am; edited 2 times in total
TC 

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 9:00 am

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
Pies win - all that matters

All that needs to be remembered about this ugly match.

A few observations if I may

I thought it was me but another poster here noted that the Channel 7 commentators were horribly biased, basically willing Sydney on to win over the Mighty Pies.

What happened to the Pies singing the club song? Just watched the replay on Kayo and they just cut to some rubbish show straight after the match called up the guts or something like that.

We were missing about 7-8 players 6 of which would be in our best 12 easily if not out best 6. Wonder what would have happened if we had some of them available this week?

Lastly on a humerous note I think the best Collingwood player for this match should be awarded to Dane Rampe of the Swans. What a spectacular brain fade to run over the mark in those circumstances and basically ensure that Collingwood wins. Couple this effort with his post climbing exploits this player could be one to watch in the future.

MattyD 

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 9:07 am

That was an awful game to watch.

Happy with the win, but geez, what a slog.

We ended up with slightly more free kicks for the game, but the umpiring was absurd. It looked like the Swans played a very physical game - to their credit. But the Swans players looked reckless and I think that's why there were so many frees in our favour early in the game. I honestly think there should have been a few more in our favour. Umpiring just looks so random these days, I don't know where to start.

The ground is so poxy. Like others have said, the grass is too long, especially in the wet. I just couldn't believe how many times players of both teams fumbled and the ball just slipped out of their hands. They couldn't seem to pick it up. It almost looked like a Swans tactic. It certainly evens things up when the ground is that bad. And with so many of our players out injured, they knew this was their best chance and they gave it everything.

Buddy looked ridiculous.

Having said all that, our club clearly has a lot of depth of good players to call on and the 'structures' or 'game plan' or whatever the buzz word is these days, is certainly working.

In fine weather on a real football ground, with even two or three less injuries and we would have won by 20 goals.

We're almost halfway through the season, so I guess we still have time, but the question for me is will we get enough injured players back in time to be at our best to make a decent go of the finals.

Last edited by MattyD on Sat May 25, 2019 9:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 9:08 am

TC wrote:
I thought it was me but another poster here noted that the Channel 7 commentators were horribly biased, basically willing Sydney on to win over the Mighty Pies

Honestly I get so sick of posters complaining about the commentary (and umpiring) bias... even if it is true, which I doubt most of the time apart from the normal underdog thing, who cares. Just makes it sweeter to win and if you hate it so much then turn the sound off or listen to the radio instead. AFL website has 3 or 4 different options usually

TC wrote:
Lastly on a humerous note I think the best Collingwood player for this match should be awarded to Dane Rampe

He's a numbnuts alright

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 9:12 am

Wondered who would take Buddy —-Roughead kept him to six disposals

But Reid (Swans one) was a real problem for us

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 9:14 am

^ With the team we had on the park, it was going to be 6 goals to someone; take your pick, doesn't really matter although it was nice to see Franklin suffocated again (or should I say choke?)
MattyD 

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 9:17 am

The commentators are ridiculous. If you think they're not barracking against Collingwood, you're not listening.

I tune them out because if I really think about what they're saying, it pisses me off too much.

According to the commentators:

Almost all free kicks Collingwood get are questionable or simply "Not there"

Almost all free kicks against Collingwood are "100% correct".

Lots of free kicks that should be paid to Collingwood players, but aren't paid, are either ignored or "Nothing in it."

All the 50/50 frees that Collingwood get are questionable and need a Royal Commission.

All the 50/50 frees that Collingwood's opponents get are "100% there".

If any team is losing against Collingwood in a close game, the commentators will desperately ask all and sundry about how Collingwood can be beaten.

If Collingwood is losing in a close game, there will be no such talk. It will be all praise for the winning team.

And you can hear it in their voicse when any opposing player does something good against a Collingwood player. They're barracking. End of story.

Having listened and watched football for almost 35 years, I know it's true.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 9:22 am

MattyD wrote:
Having listened and watched football for almost 35 years, I know it's true.

Yeah, you're the only person here whose done that, congrats

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10   

Jump to: