Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Should the Pies go to China?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 8:20 am
Post subject: Should the Pies go to China?Reply with quote

“The AFL is growing in confidence with its push into China, having secured the crucial thumbs-up from local government.

Soon after Port Adelaide host St Kilda at Jiangwan Stadium on June 2, the league will open a small office in Shanghai.

This is the third year of premiership games in China, the flagship of Port's ambitious project to break into the market.

When Port and Gold Coast first played in Shanghai, the point was made privately that to a great extent, it did not matter what the AFL or the clubs put into the risky venture.

Given China's centralised society, the project would live or die depending on what key government officials thought of the idea.

"The role the government plays in China is absolutely critical and without their support, the game wouldn't go ahead let alone be successful," said AFL China boss David Stevenson.

"They're really supportive of it.

"They've gone past that initial first year of trepidation, where they were just a little bit nervous about it was.

"Now they see the benefit of it and they've jumped right on board."

After two years of the Power playing the Suns in China, the Saints have replaced Gold Coast on a three-year deal.

While grateful for Gold Coast's initial involvement, Stevenson said having the Saints involved was a step up because they offer exposure to Melbourne's large Chinese community.

The AFL has also signed a deal with the federal government, linking the game to trade ventures.

Stevenson said apart from Port Adelaide's enthusiasm, the other big driver for the Shanghai game has been trade.

"There's a strong commercial tail wind, to come and make this game a success," he said.”

———-

Should Collingwood jump the bandwagon and start playing games in China, to take advantage of this massive 'support' from their govt?

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 10:17 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

You can move it back now mods
MagpiesTheGreat 

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 4:42 pm

I have been attending the Pies' trainings, matches (at MCG) in recent years, am always surprised to see so few Asian or Chinese among the fans.

One million of Aussies of Chinese origins are living here. Come on, lets attract half of them to the Magpies army!
Dudham 

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 5:17 pm

I am a teacher in an Australian school just south of Beijing. I have conducted a number of AFL activities in the school and have generated considerable interest. And most of the interest has come from females. I even wrote to Collingwood explaining what was happening here and asking could they supply some form of advertising etc. Got nothing.Not even a bugger off and stop disturbing us reply. Wrote to the AFL and they sent me 50 Collingwood caps which the students now proudly wear. The market is here. It just needs to be harnessed correctly. And for the right team of course.
MagpiesTheGreat 

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 5:32 pm

Dudham wrote:
I am a teacher in an Australian school just south of Beijing. I have conducted a number of AFL activities in the school and have generated considerable interest. And most of the interest has come from females. I even wrote to Collingwood explaining what was happening here and asking could they supply some form of advertising etc. Got nothing.Not even a bugger off and stop disturbing us reply. Wrote to the AFL and they sent me 50 Collingwood caps which the students now proudly wear. The market is here. It just needs to be harnessed correctly. And for the right team of course.

NiHao there,

Would love to hear about your journey there. Do you have a wechat or fb or twitter that I could follow?

Cheers
ronrat 

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 10:25 pm

Dudham and I won a breakfast in 2010 . Good to see you still going although i am a bit further south now. I do some work for the Borneo bears footy club and the clubs do nothing. Glenn Archer, Gary Buckenara and a few others help but only through friends.

i reckon, sacrilege that it is, if you approached the likes of GWS and the Suns they might help.

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 4:54 am

So "Who's a wanker?" belongs in the Collingwood forum, but this doesn't?
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 10:11 am

Dudham wrote:

If by "the market" you mean there are a lot of people there, then yes. That's what the AFL, and a hell of a lot of other foreign entities have thought over the years. Most of them have failed to capitalise on it. I don't think AFL will be any different in that respect. We should focus on Australia which is the only country we will every be successful in IMO

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: