Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Police accountability

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:00 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummmm, the Magistrates Court IS independent from the Police. Appearing before a Magistrate isn't Police investigating police, it's the court system at work.

If she's now studying Law, I suggest she studies harder.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:21 pm

stui magpie wrote:
It's thin on detail. She said she went to his house for help, he said he went outside when he noticed someone in his yard late at night. For him to have chased her, she must have first ran which doesn't buy in with her argument she went there for help

he knew her, so I'll assume that he knew enough to be concerned when she suddenly raised her arms.

it's not OK to hit anyone but sometimes it's the least worst option.

I saw on the news recently some scattered woman came charging out of a doorway and attacked a visibly pregnant woman for no perceived reason. A male pedestrian walking past stepped in to pull the scattered chick off, who was twice the size of the pregnant one and similar size to him. An off duty cop stepped in and helped subdue the attacker, but if he hadn't been there, I'd have no problem popping her on the beak if the situation called for it.

absolutely, i have no problem at all with self defence! I was replying to Wokko and his man vs woman comment!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:34 pm

Read about this story today in which an African-American family were terrorised by police, who threatened to kill them after their four-year-old daughter stole something from a $2 shop. Chilling to see the actual footage:

https://www.facebook.com/OccupyDemocrats/videos/1359709444178700?sfns=1

To those who are inclined to say “yeah, but 99% of cops aren’t like that”: even if that were true (and I sadly doubt it), the obvious response is that the only acceptable figure is 100%. This is a huge failing in the system if it ever happens, and when it does the fallout should be swift and decisive. As it is, only one of these officers is facing investigation, and there’s no guarantee that any criminal charges will result – one suspects he’ll get a couple of months paid leave or something.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:43 pm

When you identify as a hammer, everything looks like a nail?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:44 pm

David wrote:
Read about this story today in which an African-American family were terrorised by police, who threatened to kill them after their four-year-old daughter stole something from a $2 shop. Chilling to see the actual footage:

https://www.facebook.com/OccupyDemocrats/videos/1359709444178700?sfns=1

To those who are inclined to say “yeah, but 99% of cops aren’t like that”: even if that were true (and I sadly doubt it), the obvious response is that the only acceptable figure is 100%. This is a huge failing in the system if it ever happens, and when it does the fallout should be swift and decisive. As it is, only one of these officers is facing investigation, and there’s no guarantee that any criminal charges will result – one suspects he’ll get a couple of months paid leave or something.

did you see the aussie off duty cop who got bashed by 2 train passengers on the weekend?

does that make every train passenger a thug?

no it doesnt.

im surprised at your view here, usually you dont like labels.

i tried to watch it but it was taking forever to load.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:02 am

I didn’t say all police are thugs – I said that some are, and that some is too much.

It seems pretty evident to me that incidents like these are far too common in the US, and that even if they happen to be statistically rare – and I’m not even sure about that; how many don’t get filmed? – they’re still a huge indictment on the culture. It’s not even wholly a race thing; if this happened to anyone, black or white, it’d be appalling. It just seems to happen to black people rather a lot.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:24 pm

Lets not forget that comparing Police in the US and Australia is to a degree comparing Apples with Oranges.

Our system has a state Police force. Sherrif's in our system have a minor role.

Their state police operate differently to ours, each city has it's own Police department so standards will vary. Use Los Angeles as an example. They only Police the designated Los Angeles city, whereas Beverly Hills has it's own Police Department (as per the movie), Santa Monica has it's own, etc. It's a very decentralised model compared to ours and the more rural areas have Sheriffs departments with the same powers as city police departments.

Our model provides for a greater level of governance and scrutiny than theirs does.

K 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:10 am

This is about PSOs:

PSOs made unlawful arrests due to legal loophole, police reveal

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/psos-made-unlawful-arrests-due-to-legal-loophole-police-reveal-20190725-p52aw1.html

"The force on Thursday night confirmed it had received new legal advice revealing PSOs did not have the power to make arrests over warrants for failure to appear at court. That's despite making about 500 such arrests every year for the past eight years.

"It's important to appreciate, the majority of the 500 arrest warrants executed last year involved persons being lawfully arrested by PSOs who witnessed the commission of other criminal offending," Mr Hill said.

"Execution of the fail to appear warrants was subsequent to the arrest.

"The issue we are dealing with is limited to the rare occasions when PSOs are making arrests solely because they have identified a person as being wanted on a warrant, and some of those warrants are currently addressed to exclude PSOs." "

[So is the state, i.e. the taxpayer, going to have to cough up compensation for the unlawful arrests??]
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:59 pm

David wrote:
I didn’t say all police are thugs – I said that some are, and that some is too much.

It seems pretty evident to me that incidents like these are far too common in the US, and that even if they happen to be statistically rare – and I’m not even sure about that; how many don’t get filmed? – they’re still a huge indictment on the culture. It’s not even wholly a race thing; if this happened to anyone, black or white, it’d be appalling. It just seems to happen to black people rather a lot.

you can switch out police for black, white, arab, christian, ducks, dogs, and santa clauses, why do cops get special behaviour conditions, but not protection?

K 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:34 am

Jury finds former top cop defamed Inflation nightclub owner

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/jury-finds-former-top-cop-defamed-inflation-nightclub-owner-20190830-p52mg1.html

"... but that his claim her club was a "honey-pot" for drug dealers was substantially true.

The prominent nightclub owner was scathing of Victoria Police's legal tactics and misuse of public funding over the past five years.

The Age can reveal that police lawyers and a solicitor from the Victorian Government Solicitor's Office rejected her request in 2014 to cover her legal costs of $40,000 and issue an apology on behalf of Mr Guerin.

The state is understood to have spent up to $1 million defending the defamation proceedings and could now be ordered to cover Ms Tsamis' legal expenses."

[Maybe if the individual, Mr Guerin in this case, is the one who has to pay up, it'd settle sooner and not have the state spending a million dollars of taxpayers' money defending itself. How can individual victims go up against that sort of money?]
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:17 pm

LOL Inflation is one of the seediest nightclubs in Melbourne Laughing

Everyone my age says the same thing.

K 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:39 pm

[This could also fit in the 'personal behaviour vs. employment' (Folau) thread...]

Disgraced senior cop avoids charges over offensive online posts

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/disgraced-senior-cop-avoids-charges-over-offensive-online-posts-20190901-p52mtm.html

'A former senior policeman who made racist and abusive comments online will not face charges, despite the anti-corruption agency recognising his behaviour risked damaging the integrity and confidence of police operations.

“IBAC’s investigation found no evidence of actual bias. Regardless of this, this behaviour risked damaging the integrity of, and confidence in, Victoria Police investigations,” an IBAC spokeswoman said.

“No charges will be laid against Mr Guerin as while his conduct was generally offensive, it does not meet the standard of ‘offensive’ currently required to file charges under the Criminal Code.”

His digital alter-ego also made references to sodomy and rape in relation to former chief commissioner Christine Nixon and former Police Association boss Paul Mullett, who he was later forced to apologise to after a complaint to the Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission.

It came amid revelations in The Age that Mr Guerin had been previously linked to an incident involving the use of racist language in a professional setting, including calling another officer a "f---ing w*g" in 2008.

Mr Guerin ... justified his racist and obscene posts as an attempt to manage the stress and anxiety generated by his senior position in the police.'
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:11 pm

Jezza wrote:
LOL Inflation is one of the seediest nightclubs in Melbourne Laughing

Everyone my age says the same thing.

So basically it hasn't changed since when I was your age. Wink

K 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:40 pm

"Shocking footage shows the moment a Victorian policeman shoots man"

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/inquest-into-death-of-melbourne-man-shot-by-cop-at-traffic-stop-suspended-20191025-p534d2.html

[The gunshots happen at 2:42 in the video.]
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:53 am

Why post that without an opinion?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6   

Jump to: