Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Police accountability

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:26 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s an absolutely disgraceful series of events. I know that shop and its owners well (I used to work directly across the road from them) and am so angry to hear that their friend was treated like this. Forget lawsuits (which they should and surely will win) – those police officers should be stood down and charged.
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:30 am

Hares and Hyenas. Great shop. Excellent coffee.
A respite from the hustle of Brunswick street.
K 

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:07 am

Another incident:

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/elite-cop-who-shot-gargasoulas-to-face-court-over-kicking-innocent-student-20190513-p51mvl.html

"Victoria Police has not made any public statement about the alleged assault on Lovepreet Nehal, who was crash-tackled and kicked as he left Brunswick restaurant Cafe 666 on May 7, 2017.

In another case of mistaken identity, Mr Nehal was confronted by two CIRT members pointing a gun and a Taser as he stood outside the restaurant on Sydney Road.

Mr Nehal, 24, received a confidential settlement from Victoria Police.

One CIRT member was charged over the alleged assault, while several others escaped sanction.

Mr Nehal's head was allegedly smashed into the footpath on at least two occasions.

Then, another officer, who arrived about 10 seconds later, kicked Mr Nehal as he struggled on the ground, according to statements presented at a committal hearing in the Melbourne Magistrates Court last year.

The officer said that he had tried to kick Mr Nehal in the shoulder to prevent him from resisting arrest. He was also unaware Mr Nehal had no involvement with the stolen van."
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:12 am

i got to be honest, i hate post after post that just has a link and no real opinion or commentary, usually i ignore them, but since my sister just sent me a message about a friend of hers, who is also a cop, that was taken off life support this morning, (not due to violence) my back is a little up.

some light reading for you. nope not victorian, but im too busy to google more, and to me cops are cops.

https://www.news.com.au/national/victoria/news/victorian-police-officers-head-smashed-against-the-road-in-sickening-attack/news-story/549ed43b25774173468d0b98f977d84b

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-31/at-least-one-cop-assaulted-at-nsw-police-station-every-day/7284124

https://www.news.com.au/technology/online/social/a-third-of-police-officers-have-been-assaulted-says-union/news-story/93bc32110a010e78b309959747e1f2f6

https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/three-public-officer-assaulted-each-day-on-average-due-to-was-meth-crisis-ng-b88775293z

seriously who would be a cop? your posts are all terrible, and yes charges should be laid where necessary, but dont paint this as we have a totally corrupt police force, because you are dead wrong. and im still not sure what this has to do with white supremacy. My sister was on duty at the same time, and at the same police station where the 2 cops, Silk and Miller, were killed in Moorabin, She was new to the force, 6 months i think, it could have been her on that patrol route, and she had to stand next to the dead body of her workmate all night and log every person who went near him. where is your $$%^%%$ outrage for that? i got plenty more stories just like this. went to visit her at the station for lunch, had my kids with me, they were just little, one guy there was so nice, funny, in a wheelchair, working on a case. i mentioned to her how nice he was, said he looked very familiar, and did he work along with the police? you can read about him here, surely, he should have retired and lived with full salary and assistance for the rest of his life, but he continued to serve. SERVE.
https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/the-next-one-was-going-to-finish-me-policeman-remembers-mad-max-shooting-20150619-ghsfeo.html

and by the way, if you ever need one, i hope you dont call one, you know, just in case!!

Last edited by think positive on Tue May 14, 2019 11:27 am; edited 2 times in total
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:19 am

David wrote:
That’s an absolutely disgraceful series of events. I know that shop and its owners well (I used to work directly across the road from them) and am so angry to hear that their friend was treated like this. Forget lawsuits (which they should and surely will win) – those police officers should be stood down and charged.

I agree, and so do the police, they sent a senior member to apologise, and hopefully the case will be investigated completely, and openly.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:32 am

seriously, what is it going to take to get a better world? one with compassion, and caring, with not just better police, but better citizens. blame helps noone, for every abuse claim you chuck up, there is an opposite one, or three! but that does no one any good.

instead of citing this shit, come up with solutions.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 3:40 pm

Some accountability would be a great start:

http://www.starobserver.com.au/news/national-news/victoria-news/this-is-not-a-one-off-hares-and-hyenas-police-raid-shows-reality-of-violent-policing/182087

Quote:
Police racially abused, punched and used capsicum spray on a group of African-born young people during the raid of a home over the theft of two bags of chips.

Then, after a complaint investigation by the former-Office for Police Integrity found evidence of excessive force and racial targeting, the matter was referred back to Victoria Police to take action.

This evidence was then ignored by Victoria Police and even a successful civil action did not lead to any charges or accountability.

Nobody’s denying that policing is a dangerous and at times thankless job. But they are in a position of power, and if they abuse it, they must bear responsibility. Clearly, in many cases, that’s not happening – and until the police force starts investigating impartially and stops looking out for its own in cases like this, public trust in the profession won’t improve. It’s as simple as that.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 5:22 pm

David wrote:
Some accountability would be a great start:

http://www.starobserver.com.au/news/national-news/victoria-news/this-is-not-a-one-off-hares-and-hyenas-police-raid-shows-reality-of-violent-policing/182087

Quote:
Police racially abused, punched and used capsicum spray on a group of African-born young people during the raid of a home over the theft of two bags of chips.

Then, after a complaint investigation by the former-Office for Police Integrity found evidence of excessive force and racial targeting, the matter was referred back to Victoria Police to take action.

This evidence was then ignored by Victoria Police and even a successful civil action did not lead to any charges or accountability.

Nobody’s denying that policing is a dangerous and at times thankless job. But they are in a position of power, and if they abuse it, they must bear responsibility. Clearly, in many cases, that’s not happening – and until the police force starts investigating impartially and stops looking out for its own in cases like this, public trust in the profession won’t improve. It’s as simple as that.

David Policing is bloody hard work and they are abused ad infinitum. You may not have intended to but the words nobody is denying etc had a ring of paying lip service to how incredibly difficult their job is.

To balance though the Police and the community needs an independent body to review their work not police ethical standards.

African teenage gangs are rampant in certain shopping centres and railway stations going from opportunisitic to highly organized. The sheer terror created through things like stealing, intimdation and assualtcannot be underestimated. For example, a large number of girls will go into a store, emtpy rows of clothes into bags while a large number of males are outside: they overhwhelm young teenage shop assitance even security guards by distraction keeping them occupied then march out the store. It is common as muck. This is happening a lot. Some kids not just African's don't give a shit about their behaviour. Young retail assitants and others are being traumatized by their behaviour. Ask any police officer in the CBD, Dandenong, Moonee Valley Area and the sort of behaviour mentioned is alarming.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:28 pm

David wrote:
public trust in the profession won’t improve. It’s as simple as that.

Well said WPT and TP. I just quoted this part as I tend to believe it's a minority who don't trust the Police, and that's for different reasons.

Cops are people.

It's a small minority of Muslims who commit act's of terror, so lets not blame all Muslims but look at the institution

Ditto with Catholic Priests, Police and any other category you like.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:42 pm

stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:
public trust in the profession won’t improve. It’s as simple as that.

Well said WPT and TP. I just quoted this part as I tend to believe it's a minority who don't trust the Police, and that's for different reasons.

Cops are people.

It's a small minority of Muslims who commit act's of terror, so lets not blame all Muslims but look at the institution

Ditto with Catholic Priests, Police and any other category you like.

This, exactly right.

That’s why threads about Muslims, or Christians or the French, the poms, the green people, dinosaurs, you name it, bug me.

Last edited by think positive on Tue May 14, 2019 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:58 pm

You’re not wrong when you say it’s a minority who don’t trust the police, Stui – to put it literally, it’s minority ethnic groups who are most likely to fear unjust and violent treatment from them. We all know about the Black Lives Matter movement in the US, and while things aren’t maybe as bad here, there’s still plenty of legitimate concern over how Aboriginal, African and other ethnic minorities are sometimes policed in Australia. These issues are mostly invisible to many white people, who might not understand what the fuss is simply because they haven’t experienced this themselves (nonetheless, you’d still have to have your head in the sand to not recognise that police racism and racial profiling is a problem – several clear recent examples have been raised in this thread alone).

WPT, we’re fundamentally in agreement: I don’t support demonisation of the police, but I do support independent oversight. This is about a problem with the institution, not people, and I feel like we should have learned by now that self-regulation hardly ever works, whether it’s in the Catholic Church, Federal Government, commercial media or Victoria Police.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:11 pm

The Police do have some independent oversight, IBAC is one. https://www.ibac.vic.gov.au/home

You refer to Policing of African and Aboriginal minorities, but WPT legitimately points out how gangs of African youths are causing mayhem in some areas. Aboriginal males also have a far higher rate of domestic violence and other crimes. If you were a cop in those areas, you'd be crazy if you didn't racial profile to a degree.

On the flipped side, the victims of said African youth mayhem and Indigenous violence would complain that the cops don't do enough to stop it.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. It's a hard job, some undesirables do get through the filtering process, but in the main they do a great job keeping us safe. With people more and more willing to assault them in the course of their duties, there's going to be some pushback and every now and then, an innocent person will get hurt. It's not ideal and i do feel for the people concerned, but as a percentage of the arrests made in any year, it's a tiny fraction.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:26 pm

I’m less confident that cases like this fall within some acceptable margin of error. I don’t disagree that crime rates tend to be higher among disadvantaged groups and that this can play into a perception of being targeted, but let’s not pretend that those issues don’t feed into prejudice and stereotyping from authorities, too. Contrary to what you say, it’s essential that police do resist those impulses – because if enough of them fail to, as they historically have, then you start to see entire communities treat police as a class to be feared and mistrusted (and they’re not going to suddenly stop doing so because some guy reckons things are fine and that their concerns are baseless).

This isn’t just about police: unaddressed police violence against and targeting of minorities only breeds further disaffection with society’s structures and institutions in general – a widespread sentiment within ethnic minority groups here, in the US and in so many other places around the world, and something that helps perpetuate and worsen those inequalities.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:09 am

David wrote:
I’m less confident that cases like this fall within some acceptable margin of error. I don’t disagree that crime rates tend to be higher among disadvantaged groups and that this can play into a perception of being targeted, but let’s not pretend that those issues don’t feed into prejudice and stereotyping from authorities, too. Contrary to what you say, it’s essential that police do resist those impulses – because if enough of them fail to, as they historically have, then you start to see entire communities treat police as a class to be feared and mistrusted (and they’re not going to suddenly stop doing so because some guy reckons things are fine and that their concerns are baseless).

This isn’t just about police: unaddressed police violence against and targeting of minorities only breeds further disaffection with society’s structures and institutions in general – a widespread sentiment within ethnic minority groups here, in the US and in so many other places around the world, and something that helps perpetuate and worsen those inequalities.

are you going to mention the complete lack of respect or "fear' for want of a better word, that some of these gangs of minorities have for the police?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:30 am

I have to say I’m not sure how to take some of this questioning – because some criminals are dangerous, or disrespectful, or make police officers’ jobs difficult, does that in any way make unprofessional responses acceptable? Obviously police officers are only human, lose their cool and make mistakes; but if such mistakes include a serious physical assault, or treatment of a non-white person as a second-class citizen, or assuming guilt based on skin colour, or general abuse of power, then my view is simply that those incidents should be treated seriously and not brushed under the carpet, and a police force that is unable to be made accountable loses credibility, as I’ve discussed above.

Intentionally or otherwise, a lot of the responses here really sound a lot like apologism, and seem to suggest an over-eagerness to defend police against imagined slights.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6   

Jump to: