Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Not recruiting May and Lynch

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 4:48 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to say either can’t turn it around and be successful but I can’t say I’m losing any sleep about not getting either of them. I think Lynch will be fine, but with May I can’t really say I ever rated him highly in the first place.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 4:58 pm

Wonder who Dees would prefer right now, May or Hogan?
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 5:47 pm

[quote="Rd10.1998_11.1#36"]
Pies2016 wrote:
...all clubs have a strict “ no drinking in rehab “ policy [which] stems from medical feedback... The real issue here is the club would be furious that May had no regard for a policy that’s designed to get him back playing footy ASAP. If it’s good enough for everyone else on the list, then it’s good enough for May to tow [sic] the line also

[MFC Football Manager Josh] Mahoney said Melbourne didn't enforce a no-drinking policy, asking only of players to act like "adults".[/quote

May was required to front the playing group. On the back of that apology, Jordan Lewis publicly declared May defied the clubs alcohol ban while in rehab. You can read into that what you will.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 7:17 pm

Yes the story seems to have changed now from what Mahoney was quoted:

‘The former Gold Coast skipper fronted his Demons teammates on Tuesday to apologise for breaching the club's policy of not drinking while injured.

Sidelined with a groin injury since round two, May was seen spending Sunday afternoon drinking at a Melbourne bar’

Goodwin on Wednesday said the incident had been blown out of proportion and the club was not going to "crucify" May, who has been dealing with issues in his personal life, for having a couple of quiet beers on the weekend.

Kill for Collingwood 

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 10:24 pm

Considering all those comments the bottom line is that he's as dumb as dogshit to expose himself to this scenario. Same as our druggie dickhead that we're still wasting our breath on. Just dickheads who deserve no sympathy.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 11:36 pm

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
Yes the story seems to have changed now from what Mahoney was quoted:

‘The former Gold Coast skipper fronted his Demons teammates on Tuesday to apologise for breaching the club's policy of not drinking while injured.

Sidelined with a groin injury since round two, May was seen spending Sunday afternoon drinking at a Melbourne bar’

Goodwin on Wednesday said the incident had been blown out of proportion and the club was not going to "crucify" May, who has been dealing with issues in his personal life, for having a couple of quiet beers on the weekend.

Sounds like a relatively reasonable response. Don't see that there's much need to add vitriol from outside if even the club don't think it's that big a deal.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 11:38 pm

we should find out what Eddie thinks.

Maybe he can give the Dees some advice.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 12:21 am

Even with all that has gone on, May would have been a good signing for us. Lynch, not so much.

I see what the Tigers were trying to do with Lynch. They wanted a replacement for Jack as a focal point up forward. It was a logical move. In my view though, the cost wasn't worth it. It's been well proven that a gun tall forward is no longer the answer and that it's better to spend the money elsewhere. Probably the only one worth that kind of money now is Cameron. And that's not to say Lynch isn't a good player, he is, and my view has nothing to do with his recent form, it's not changed since before he chose the Tigers.

May's money was less ridiculous and he plays a more impactful position and is a quality intercept mark as well as a shutdown defender. He's a player we could have done with and would have been a great pairing with Moore, especially given his experience. Definitely a better fit and better player than Roughead. That said, with the huge difference in trade cost and salary, Roughy is working well for us so far. We still need to fill the position into the future though.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 7:50 am

I'd swap a fit Lynch for Mihocek in a heartbeat - the problem is that Lynch has knee problems and may never be a "fit Lynch" again.
K 

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 7:56 am

Objectively, even the current Lynch at BM's salary. He did win them the game against Port (with help from Grimes and the umpires).
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 9:10 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
I'd swap a fit Lynch for Mihocek in a heartbeat - the problem is that Lynch has knee problems and may never be a "fit Lynch" again.

That's one of the problems. The other is that he'd cost three times as much and require we'd need to move on another player or players. It's too much cap space. The influence of key forwards continues to wane and that kind of outlay is simply not warranted.

Also, if we were brining in Lynch it's Cox we'd be rid of, not Mihocek. A Cox/lLynch forward line would be awful.

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 10:52 am

K wrote:
Objectively, even the current Lynch at BM's salary

Why not wish for Lynch to pay us to play, it's equally as likely to happen

Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:16 am

Stephen May could have a great career in front of him still, but I see it littered with further drinking episodes that will continue to come to light. He could hide it up at GCS without the spotlight, but unfortunately coming from Darwin the drinking culture is ingrained.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 6:31 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
Even with all that has gone on, May would have been a good signing for us. Lynch, not so much.

I see what the Tigers were trying to do with Lynch. They wanted a replacement for Jack as a focal point up forward. It was a logical move. In my view though, the cost wasn't worth it. It's been well proven that a gun tall forward is no longer the answer and that it's better to spend the money elsewhere. Probably the only one worth that kind of money now is Cameron. And that's not to say Lynch isn't a good player, he is, and my view has nothing to do with his recent form, it's not changed since before he chose the Tigers.

May's money was less ridiculous and he plays a more impactful position and is a quality intercept mark as well as a shutdown defender. He's a player we could have done with and would have been a great pairing with Moore, especially given his experience. Definitely a better fit and better player than Roughead. That said, with the huge difference in trade cost and salary, Roughy is working well for us so far. We still need to fill the position into the future though.

You and I are the only two who agree on this one. All the Collingwood fans I talk to are breathing a sigh of relief we didn't get him. Melbourne only grabbed him when they knew we were looking at him. He was never suited to Melbourne who already had Lever and The McDonald brothers. May should have come to either us or Port Adelaide. He solidifies our backline which has benefitted from Roughead in it at a cheaper price than May would have come at. Both have had injuries but Roughead has stayed on the park this season while May has been on and off. Lynch would have been handy in our forward line but not as important because we have Mihocek and Cox with the added bonus of fitting in Reid if we need him. Mihocek is greatly underrated by the Collingwood fans. Let's say we recruited Lynch. I would still play Mihocek along side him in the forward line.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 8:48 pm

Bruce Gonsalves wrote:
...coming from Darwin the drinking culture is ingrained.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: