Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

WE CAN win the Premiership, IF.............

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:46 am
Post subject: WE CAN win the Premiership, IF.............Reply with quote

IF we start finally kicking soda goals we should kick, if we start scoring goals we should never, ever miss. Agree Question Idea

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:00 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

We can win the premiership if we make the finals and win the last two we play in. It's simple, really.

Of course, it might help to have a CHF who could touch the ball occasionally and we might want to replace 4 or 5 other very average footballers with some guns but, hey, let's talk it up. We've just beaten Essendon. We haven't beaten them in like, well any of our last 25 meetings against them (except all the times we did), so obviously beating them by 4 points on Anzac Day is not just hilariously funny (because it obviously upset them soooo much) but also announces our arrival as a premiership contender.
K 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:32 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
Of course, it might help to have a CHF who could touch the ball occasionally and we might want to replace 4 or 5 other very average footballers with some guns but, hey, let's talk it up. ...

Naughton? (Too late now, of course.)
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:30 am

It’s as simple as this. We have three champion players who don’t always hit teammates - Crisp, Adams and Sidebottom. If they eliminate their errors on GF day we win, if not we lose. The teams that win on GF day are boring to watch because they don’t make mistakes. Illustrating this Beams is a very boring player to watch. Josh Thomas is in a lesser category but same thing. Beams and Thomas may not win you a GF but they won’t lose you one either.

The challenge for Buckley is to assemble a team together on GF day that will take the game on and not relent under pressure by the opposition who will exploit every weakness we have. To do this we need to have a team with the right combination of risk takers, guys who will steady the ship when we lose the momentum of the game and at least one leader in defence, midfield and forward play who senses a shift in opposition tactics and resets his field even before the coaches box catches on.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:24 am

1 ) consistently kick more goals than behinds.
2 ) have a healthy list in September
3 ) Darcy Moore is still playing good footy late in the season. On field, he is the single biggest difference to last years performance and what we can go on to achieve this year.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:40 am

Cost us the Cats game and nearly yesterday!
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:54 pm

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
It’s as simple as this. We have three champion players who don’t always hit teammates - Crisp, Adams and Sidebottom. If they eliminate their errors on GF day we win, if not we lose. The teams that win on GF day are boring to watch because they don’t make mistakes. Illustrating this Beams is a very boring player to watch. Josh Thomas is in a lesser category but same thing. Beams and Thomas may not win you a GF but they won’t lose you one either.

The challenge for Buckley is to assemble a team together on GF day that will take the game on and not relent under pressure by the opposition who will exploit every weakness we have. To do this we need to have a team with the right combination of risk takers, guys who will steady the ship when we lose the momentum of the game and at least one leader in defence, midfield and forward play who senses a shift in opposition tactics and resets his field even before the coaches box catches on.

Did Beams hit a target more than 3 metres away, yesterday? I have this compelling sense of him turning repeatedly into his left and belting it straight onto Essendon chests. Perhaps I am mistaken and this only happened every second time he got the ball?
Achilles 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:54 pm

We don't have to face WC, or if we do, apply the same template PA did when they beat them. Do we have the players to do that? I'm not 100% sure.

We need to get better at set-shots. Had we landed a couple of them yesterday, it wouldn't have been as nail bitingly close as it was.
GoWoodsmen 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:07 pm
Post subject: Re: WE CAN win the Premiership, IF.............Reply with quote

Piesnchess wrote:
IF we start finally kicking soda goals we should kick, if we start scoring goals we should never, ever miss. Agree Question Idea

I agree Piesnchess. If we take our chances early against Geelong in Round 1, we probably win. We take our chances in the first quarter yesterday I think it would have been a rout, we were that much on top of them. Even against the Lions at one stage I think it was 9 shots to 1 and we only led by 20 something points. It's frustrating leaving the door ajar.

Footnote: I haven't been on Nick's for so long.... and wow, same personalities destroying thread after thread with vitriol. Amazing.

melliot 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:20 pm

Winning the GF, normally does the job.

More seriously and less direct. Healthy list. Then it's all about if we are good enough. Which we are.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:08 pm

if.....our supposed exquisite midfield can begin taking advantage of us having the best ruckan in the AFL, and start winning more clearances. How we are not dominating this area of the game is puzzling, to say the least.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:21 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
if.....our supposed exquisite midfield can begin taking advantage of us having the best ruckan in the AFL, and start winning more clearances. How we are not dominating this area of the game is puzzling, to say the least.

Our midfield can certainly still improve but I’m not convinced it’s going as badly as a lot of people think. A very similar midfield got us to within a kick of the flag last year.
We are pretty quick to find fault with our own team but the reality is we have less problems onfield than about 15 / 16 other clubs. By the end of round 6, every club will have beaten at least once. We have had easily the toughest early draw and we are 4 from six. ( 5 from 6 if we had kicked marginally better )
When you begin to compare us to the other clubs, we are travelling way better than the vast majority. We don’t need to be perfect in the guts, just better than 17 other clubs around the ground.
For mine, if we start capitalising on the shots on goal our midfield is supplying, it won’t have to improve much more at all.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:06 pm

Good points there P2016. I guess i'm still smarting at the way our midfield were overran in last year's GF, so I want to see this area of our game significantly improve.

But you are right, overall we are in fabulous shape, compared to most teams.
K 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:11 pm

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
... The teams that win on GF day are boring to watch because they don’t make mistakes. Illustrating this Beams is a very boring player to watch. ...

Two of Beams's kicks yesterday were very unboring to watch, both of them in D50, the second that wormburner attempted 15m pass late in the last quarter.
K 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:20 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
We are pretty quick to find fault with our own team but the reality is we have less problems onfield than about 15 / 16 other clubs. By the end of round 6, every club will have beaten at least once. We have had easily the toughest early draw and we are 4 from six. ...

Isn't this just saying that every team is mediocre or worse? That gives us a chance but if in September there are 8 mediocre teams that's still just a 1 in 8 chance. We need to be better than mediocre. (Not saying we aren't or won't be, but we can't be sure others e.g. GWS won't also be.)

Pies2016 wrote:
Our midfield can certainly still improve but I’m not convinced it’s going as badly as a lot of people think. A very similar midfield got us to within a kick of the flag last year.

But WC are not going great either. Can they just say "A very similar team got us the flag last year"?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: