Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

"Shame on anyone that booed a champion."

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:00 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

K wrote:
David wrote:
I don’t want to be mean, but ...

... it just comes naturally. Cool

Seriously, even if "the world is $)%)%*", that does not mean we should be complicit in making it even more $)%)%* by doing nothing and saying nothing.

At least realizing we've gone down a slippery slope is a start. "Welcome to the real world" is an excuse for accepting things we shouldn't. (I'm not saying this topic is necessarily an example of that. I'm just commenting on the use of those words in general.)

I'm not at all suggesting that we shouldn't do something about it – indeed, knowing precisely what you're up against is the first step in doing so. I'm just surprised that you're surprised.

Redlight 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:59 pm

K wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:
I don't think Inkling was glorifying the "solemnity of the occasion". I certainly wasn't. ...

On the other hand, there is an issue there, because the AFL sold this whole concept of an Anzac Day footy game with the argument that it would "glorify the solemnity of the occasion". If it doesn't and shouldn't, as many here think, then this game was sold on a lie. And now it's all sliding down a slippery slope.

I can see your point but the truth is that Anzac day was on the precipice for a few years. There were less and less diggers marching through age and mortality and the day was starting to lose it's grip on the public imagination. It certainly wasn't as universally embraced as it is now. In fact there was genuine concern for the future of the march.

It's not the only factor, but I think that Anzac day 'event' football has had a massive positive impact on the occasion overall. Attending the march and then this particular game, with all the hype surrounding it, has helped breath new life into the day and been a very effective marketing tool for the RSL.

Is it perfect? No. Does the AFL exploit it? Yep. However I still think that it does much more good than harm.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:29 pm

Where are we people and where are we going when rudeness overrides decency’s

But that “a—-hole” believed cancer didn’t do a good job Roughead “

Then “GO BLUE’S

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:51 pm

BazBoy wrote:
Where are we people and where are we going when rudeness overrides decency’s

But that “a—-hole” believed cancer didn’t do a good job Roughead “

Then “GO BLUE’S

just saw this on the news, I just have no words....

bombers go low, Blues go far lower, just so disgusted.
lifetime ban

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:36 pm

I don't want to in any way excuse such disgusting sentiments, but is this where we're at now? Any old nasty social media post by some internet troll is considered newsworthy? People were likely yelling out much worse stuff at the football thirty years ago.
doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:11 pm

The thing that annoyed me the most about the booing was when Scott politely thanked the crowd for their support they booed even more loudly and didn’t stop.It was just childish beyond belief.I don’t know how anyone can excuse that sort of behaviour.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:13 pm

David wrote:
I don't want to in any way excuse such disgusting sentiments, but is this where we're at now? Any old nasty social media post by some internet troll is considered newsworthy? People were likely yelling out much worse stuff at the football thirty years ago.

that comment is way below the belt, i get where your coming from, but im also glad he has been outed, and 30 years ago doesnt matter, just as with race and religion issues, times change, its just not on

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:14 pm

doriswilgus wrote:
The thing that annoyed me the most about the booing was when Scott politely thanked the crowd for their support they booed even more loudly and didn’t stop.It was just childish beyond belief.I don’t know how anyone can excuse that sort of behaviour.

i agree, he looked so shocked, it really was disgusting

K 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:10 am

If you don't mind, AFL: Umps blow whistle on lack of support

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/if-you-don-t-mind-afl-umps-blow-whistle-on-lack-of-support-20190429-p51id8.html

"Simmering tensions reached tipping point on the weekend when the AFL decided to steer clear of publicly supporting the controversial Anzac Day performance from the umpires, which eventuated in the umpires organising their own media.

Several senior umpires contacted the AFL on Friday evening and Saturday morning, asking for a show of public support following the game.

But frustrations boiled over when the AFL's media department kiboshed the idea of a league representative going on the record.

It's understood the AFL's media department didn't receive any specific requests from the media on Friday, but the umpires were disappointed that the head of football Steve Hocking didn't get on the front foot.

That decision has impacted, and in some cases fractured, the relationship between senior umpires and the AFL.

Less than two hours after Scott Pendlebury was booed by Essendon fans as he accepted his Anzac Day medal, umpires coach Hayden Kennedy had reviewed the game and ticked off on all five controversial final-quarter incidents.

Despite that, senior officials from the game analysis team, including Hocking, James Podsiadly, Brett Munro and David Rath, remained confused over several of the free kicks after poring over vision on Friday.

AFL Umpires Association chief Peter Howe says he will continue to work with the AFL on achieving the best outcome for all parties."
K 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:15 am

^ This Fairfax article explains a lot (i.e. the stuff below)...

Donny wrote:
Shaun Ryan, who umpired the match, spoke on SEN radio on Saturday.
"There was definitely some errors, but the five in the last quarter were not errors," Ryan said.
"Upon review, they were the correct calls."

K wrote:
I'm shocked umpires are allowed to discuss decisions publicly.

And here's a second article from Baum:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/umpires-cop-their-annual-free-kicking-20190429-p51id4.html
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:43 am

K wrote:
The AMT description is sounding very Selwood-like

That’s because they’re both duckers

think better 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:19 am

think positive wrote:
doriswilgus wrote:

i agree, he looked so shocked, it really was disgusting

This was the what I thought was the worst part of this - it was long after the end of the game and Pendles was being very generous in his speech and they booed louder.

Bucks was spot on to call it out

WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:57 am

Doper supporters were booing pendles and pendles only. FACT. They were not booing the umpires cos they had already left the field by the time pendles was announced as being the winner and started talking. They made a conscious effort to trash his moment and drown his acceptance speech out with boos because they are low life parasites with no respect for the player or the occasion. Boo all you like during play but not while a player is accepting an award. Still, we shouldn't be too shocked; we're talking about the same people who still deny their club are drug cheats. They would follow hird the turd off the cliff.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:12 am

So, just to throw this into stark relief, the people who vote for the anzac Medal and the two coaches unanimously considered Pendles to have been best on ground. They were, of course, plainly correct - he was BOG by some considerable margin.

His Brownlow history on the day is:

2006 - had not debuted, yet (did not play until round 10). Essendon restricted him well that day, probably for the only time.

2007 - 21 diposals and 1 goal. No votes. Heater and Travis Cloke starred. Great moment in modern footy - Hird's last anzac Day game.

2008 - 2 votes (probably BOG by a mile but Medhurst's was one of the greatest acts of entertainment ever seen on the day, so he deservedly received the votes).

2009 - No votes. 30 disposals, 6 clearances and a goal.

2010 - 3 votes.

2011 - 3 votes.

2012 - 2 votes. Just the 34 disposals, 5 clearances and 17 contested possessions. Way better than the best Essendon player that day but not quite as good as Swanny (42 disposals, 13 clearances, 20 contested possessions and 3 goals).

2013 - No votes. Just the 29 disposals, 5 clearances, 15 contested possessions and 2 goals.

2014 - No votes. Swanny and Sidey stole the show (and the votes), with 7 goals between them. Pendles just had the 30 disposals, 7 tackles, 5 clearances and 16 contested possessions.

2015 - No votes. For a joke, the umpires thought they'd give votes to Seedsman, Heppell and Frost. Pendles just had the 30 disposals, 5 tackles, 4 clearances, 1 goal and 15 contested possessions.

2016 - 2 votes. Sidey got the 3.

2017 - A down day, probably the only one he has had in this clash in his entire career. Treloar got the 3, though Collingwood lost.

2018 - No votes. Just the 27 disposals, 5 tackles, 4 clearances and 11 contested possessions. Sidey, Treloar and Grundy got the votes.

2019 - ? votes. 38 disposals (including 25 kicks), 6 tackles, 3 clearances and 16 contested possessions.

We can look forward to the Essendon supporters booing loudly at him again when the Brownlow votes are read out for round 6. Because that will make them look measured and sensible.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:53 am

David wrote:
People were likely yelling out much worse stuff at the football thirty years ago.

Perhaps, but their audience was limited to those few who could actually physically hear such comments. Jarryd Roughead would probably not even been aware of it. Today, the audience is millions, thanks to social media, and therein lies the problem.
I'm totally over FB. It's out of control.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13   

Jump to: