Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

"Shame on anyone that booed a champion."

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronrat 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:55 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Nathan Buckley was booed all through his stellar career. I am scratching my head as to what Chris De Silva has done in the game except showing himself to being a biased muppet.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:59 am

stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:
^ Have they actually said that the Langdon free was wrong? I hope so, because it was a howler.

To be honest, I think a few of those unpaid holding the ball calls in the last quarter should have gone against us, though (including against Stephenson; no way did his boot touch the ball). That's less about us being benefited than how the rules are being interpreted in general, though, I think – tacklers just aren't getting rewarded as much as they should be.

They have said the Langdon free was wrong but the rest were correct on review.

If you're tackled and you have prior opportunity you must dispose of the ball correctly by hand or foot, if you don't have prior opportunity you just have to try.

A handpass or kick that dribbles 2 feet is still correct disposal.

So, the next effect of all this alleged "bad umpiring" that the Essenwhingeingdrugtaker supporters have been complaining about is that in a close game, Essendon got a cheap goal from an incorrect free kick and all other decisions were correct. Well, knock me down with a feather!

It's a pity the AFl hasn't gone back and had a look at the repeated scragging on Grundy and Cox, contest by contest through the game. My feeling watching the match was very much that Collingwood missed out on at least 15 free kicks they should have got. The umpiring (along, of course, with our inept finishing) actually kept Essendon in that game when they were outclassed and uncompetitive.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:29 am

You forgot Beams getting illegally held at almost every ball up.

Channel 7 didn't show the Langdon free, or the pathetic free against Grundy for in the back which Essendon also got a goal from.
ANNODAM Gemini

Rebel Heart Tour - The Forum, Los Angeles 27/10/2015.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:37 am

You know, when everything is all said & done, the records will forever show that WE the CFC won by 4 pts on ANZAC Day, 2019.

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
K 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:28 pm

The latest to out himself as an Essendon fan:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/booing-isn-t-pleasant-but-we-should-accept-it-as-part-of-the-game-20190426-p51hjs.html

I always thought his articles were crazy, but that's probably because he's "a lecturer in sports media and marketing". ('AFLX is the future of the game', etc.)

It's better he out himself than say nothing, but footy fans should have enough self-awareness to realize they cannot avoid being parochial about such things and shouldn't write about them.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:26 pm

I was just about to post this muppet! And he's a coward, you can't comment on this article. Comparing it to Ablett shows he has no freaking clue -- Pendles was being awarded a medal, by military veterans, on ANZAC day. Ablett was being booed for liking Folau's tweet. Big f****** difference.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:30 pm

Pendles was being booed because he is too f*&^ing good for them by some considerable margin - and has been for the last 15 years. They may as well boo God for all the difference it's going to make.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:04 pm

Free kicks missed to us:

1. 18m 57s to go in the first quarter - Cox's arms taken out it a marking contest within 30 m of goal. Play on.

2. From the ensuing throw-in, Grundy is held around the waist by Bellchambers. Play on.

3. 18m 41s to go in the first quarter, Stevo is pushed out of the marking contest in front of the goals with a two-handed shove in the middle of his back. Play on.

4. 18m 10s to go in the first quarter, Pendles takes an intercept mark inside defensive 50. MTW was not in the frame but grabs Pendlebury to stop him from playing on. No 50.

There's 4 bad decisions, all against us, inside the first two minutes of elapsed playing time. We should have had at least two frees in front of goal in that space of time.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:24 pm

ANNODAM wrote:
You know, when everything is all said & done, the records will forever show that WE the CFC won by 4 pts on ANZAC Day, 2019.

Pretty much this.

I went to the VFL yesterday with a few Essendon friends. They were trying not to carry on about it, but they were. Sticking up for their club whilst blaming umpiring and calling us hypocrites for chanting and booing Gaff.

All's I said was; "Are you embarrassed by it? And do you wish it didn't happen?" Their silence told me thats a yes.

We won, they're cut.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:07 pm

tbaker wrote:
Get a load of this rubbish - now Buckley is copping it:

from https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/why-the-booing-controversy-is-a-convenient-distraction-for-afl/f44eac01-4c5f-4a70-bf66-89e4fde3f165

"While Buckley was excellent, the cold, harsh truth is that the Magpies’ coach taking a stance was about six years too late.
Where was Buckley’s strong stance against booing champions when his own fanbase booed Sydney Swans legend Adam Goodes relentlessly for being proud of his heritage?
Where was Buckley’s strong stance in Round 3 when his fanbase again booed West Coast midfielder Dom Sheed for literally kicking a goal against them?
Where was Buckley last night as Kangaroo Jasper Pittard was booed roundly in his return to Adelaide by Port Adelaide fans?"

Most of those are "part of the game". None of them took place during the medal ceremony. In fact, I can only remember one other such case.

I do agree that Buckley was weak on the Goodes booing though.

i hate carlton 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:16 pm

Bucks hit the nail on the head.

Scum booing our champion.

They need to stay off the peptides!

He's kicking pineapples!

My favourite nicks thread (Laugh at Carlscum): http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=66021&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:33 pm

K wrote:
Reading the posts in this thread and previous ones, I think many feel that way about footy on public holidays.

I'm disturbed by the dishonesty. If they came out 25 years ago and said they don't care about Anzacs, etc. and think they can draw a huge crowd on a public holiday, and if they keep saying that of every day they appropriate, it would be much more honest. Instead they drowned out objections with the "it will glorify the solemnity of the occasion" argument.

I don’t want to be mean, but I kind of feel like responding “welcome to the real world”. If you took the hypocrisy and insincerity out of our mainstream culture, it’d be unrecognisable. If you watch commercial TV for five minutes or read a tabloid newspaper or listen to a major-party politician, this is who we are, and I don’t know why anyone would expect Anzac Day to be exempt from that. Nothing is sacred and everything has a price tag.

K 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:57 pm

David wrote:
I don’t want to be mean, but ...

... it just comes naturally. Cool

Seriously, even if "the world is $)%)%*", that does not mean we should be complicit in making it even more $)%)%* by doing nothing and saying nothing.

At least realizing we've gone down a slippery slope is a start. "Welcome to the real world" is an excuse for accepting things we shouldn't. (I'm not saying this topic is necessarily an example of that. I'm just commenting on the use of those words in general.)
Sir Alan of Didak Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:11 am

What a great thread, with some great comments.
The Grand Final loss and now this has had a unifying effect on the club (+ Nick's).
Go Pies!

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:46 pm

K wrote:

Seriously, even if "the world is $)%)%*", that does not mean we should be complicit in making it even more $)%)%* by doing nothing and saying nothing.

At least realizing we've gone down a slippery slope is a start. "Welcome to the real world" is an excuse for accepting things we shouldn't. (I'm not saying this topic is necessarily an example of that. I'm just commenting on the use of those words in general.)

^ I like this comment! Well said K!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 10 of 13   

Jump to: