Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

"Shame on anyone that booed a champion."

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:27 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

And of course 7 news tonight only showed the free kicks Essendon should have got. Didn't show any of the bad decisions that went their way, the frees we didn't get. The news story made it look like they were hard done by all night by the umps. It was putrid both ways! Dogs.

Last edited by Mr Miyagi on Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
K 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:28 pm

Magpietothemax wrote:
I don't think Inkling was glorifying the "solemnity of the occasion". I certainly wasn't. ...

On the other hand, there is an issue there, because the AFL sold this whole concept of an Anzac Day footy game with the argument that it would "glorify the solemnity of the occasion". If it doesn't and shouldn't, as many here think, then this game was sold on a lie. And now it's all sliding down a slippery slope. Already, people were getting upset about Birds of Tokyo being brought in to sing pre-game. Even Mason was not pleased about that. And footy games are sprouting up on every day of the year, including "solemn" days, as if it was so awful when all games were played on Saturday at 2.10pm.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:41 pm

It was a lie. The Anzac Day match concept was seized by the AFL as a vast opportunity to amass profit.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:45 pm

And, as I said, it then becomes a justification for appropriation of other days, and suddenly we're at the bottom of a slippery slope.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:49 pm

I'll be honest. I am happy for the AFL to appropriate solemn days. The football makes for fantastic entertainment on otherwise what would be, for me, mostly dull occasions.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:54 pm

Reading the posts in this thread and previous ones, I think many feel that way about footy on public holidays.

I'm disturbed by the dishonesty. If they came out 25 years ago and said they don't care about Anzacs, etc. and think they can draw a huge crowd on a public holiday, and if they keep saying that of every day they appropriate, it would be much more honest. Instead they drowned out objections with the "it will glorify the solemnity of the occasion" argument.
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:10 pm

Doc63 wrote:
Bucks5 wrote:
I saw a post in my Instagram feed yesterday which depicted Pendles and Hird as joint triple Anzac day medalists.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bws3DHhDFRS

OMG, read the comments by the kool aid drinking Bombers fans, apparently Pendles is a soft, diving, cheat while Hird is a true champion. Sickening especially after the PED scandal Hird caused at their club.

Essendon are just a disgusting organisation. I dont know how anyone can support them.

I chipped in and posted in support of our champion captain. essendrug and their delusional doper supporters can go f*** themselves.
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:41 pm

Shaun Ryan, who umpired the match, spoke on SEN radio on Saturday.

"There was definitely some errors, but the five in the last quarter were not errors," Ryan said.

"Upon review, they were the correct calls."

The decisions Ryan discussed were:

- Hoskin-Elliott was not holding the ball, managed to just get a fist to the ball and handballed. Free kick not paid.

- Daniher tackle on Crisp. The first tackle didn't stick, the second tackle took him to ground, had prior opportunity and handballed. Free kick not paid.

- Scott Pendlebury high contact. Put his head down to pick up the ball and two Essendon players made front-on high contact. Pendlebury didn't run into stationary players, so it wasn't play on. Free kick paid.

- Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti high contact. Shrugged his arm, raising the tackle to around his neck. Free kick not paid.

- Jaidyn Stephenson and Callum Brown. Jaidyn Stephenson didn't have prior opportunity when tackled, made an attempt to dispose of the ball and got a kick away, Callum Brown was then pushed in the back. Free kick paid.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
K 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:42 pm

I'm shocked umpires are allowed to discuss decisions publicly.

The AMT description is sounding very Selwood-like.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:44 pm

Magpietothemax wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
^

I agree.All this guff about the solemnity of the occasion, give me a spell. That's all pore game. Once the game starts it's a game of footy, players don't care what date it is and fans get wound up, cheer and boo.

I personally don't boo, I'm more likely to yell obscenities infrequently, but I don't read more into it than people being pissed off and letting it out.

I don't think Inkling was glorifying the "solemnity of the occasion". I certainly wasn't. I didn't object to their booing of Pendlebury because of the solemnity of the occasion. I objected because Pendlebury is a champion of the game, and to boo him shows a total lack of sportsmanship and respect for such a courageous, and fair, footballer. I wouldn't have cared if it was Anzac Day, or the Queens Birthday, or the 4th of July, or April Fools Day, or whatever. I still would have had the same opinion.

I wasn't referring to either of you, the reference to the solemnity of the occasion was in regard to all the media hand wringers saying it was wrong to boo on Anzac Day.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:15 pm

^ Have they actually said that the Langdon free was wrong? I hope so, because it was a howler.

To be honest, I think a few of those unpaid holding the ball calls in the last quarter should have gone against us, though (including against Stephenson; no way did his boot touch the ball). That's less about us being benefited than how the rules are being interpreted in general, though, I think – tacklers just aren't getting rewarded as much as they should be.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:52 pm

David wrote:
^ Have they actually said that the Langdon free was wrong? I hope so, because it was a howler.

To be honest, I think a few of those unpaid holding the ball calls in the last quarter should have gone against us, though (including against Stephenson; no way did his boot touch the ball). That's less about us being benefited than how the rules are being interpreted in general, though, I think – tacklers just aren't getting rewarded as much as they should be.

They have said the Langdon free was wrong but the rest were correct on review.

If you're tackled and you have prior opportunity you must dispose of the ball correctly by hand or foot, if you don't have prior opportunity you just have to try.

A handpass or kick that dribbles 2 feet is still correct disposal.

tbaker 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:31 am

Get a load of this rubbish - now Buckley is copping it:

from https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/why-the-booing-controversy-is-a-convenient-distraction-for-afl/f44eac01-4c5f-4a70-bf66-89e4fde3f165

"While Buckley was excellent, the cold, harsh truth is that the Magpies’ coach taking a stance was about six years too late.
Where was Buckley’s strong stance against booing champions when his own fanbase booed Sydney Swans legend Adam Goodes relentlessly for being proud of his heritage?
Where was Buckley’s strong stance in Round 3 when his fanbase again booed West Coast midfielder Dom Sheed for literally kicking a goal against them?
Where was Buckley last night as Kangaroo Jasper Pittard was booed roundly in his return to Adelaide by Port Adelaide fans?"

ronrat 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:27 am

And where where these critics when Mathew LLoyd was staging for free kicks on a weekly basis.

As for the channel 9 comments.

What relevance has Jasper Pittard got to do with Nathan Buckley.Players get booed all time when they change clubs.

No one booed Goodes for being Indigenous. The booed him because he singled out a little girl.

I don't even think Dom Sheed is relevant to this discussion.

K 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:38 am

tbaker wrote:
Get a load of this rubbish ...
from https://wwos.nine.com.au/afl/ <snip>

We probably shouldn't give the author more publicity. It looks suspiciously like he's an Essendon fan, and he repeatedly claims on social media that Collingwood get the best of the umpiring decisions in the whole AFL, when the opposite has a decent shot at being true (it's hard to say without some sort of analysis). He weirdly calls that getting the "best whistle". Is that some Americanism or something? (He's an NBA fanboy, which could be another reason he's in favour of booing.)

It's irresponsible of his employer to allow an Essendon-supporting producer to write that stuff on their site. No respectable sports journo, even the ones Nicksters love to hate, is going to write something as extreme as "perhaps the most diabolical exhibition of AFL umpiring in the last decade".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 9 of 13   

Jump to: