Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

"Shame on anyone that booed a champion."

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:00 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I read this morning that, like me, Bevo thought the booing was rather funny and simply part of the tribalism of what footy is all about. I like the lad.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:37 pm

I find it bloody hilarious that I'm seeing people on Facebook posting about how ANZAC day should be respected etc, yet their very next posts are supporting the boos. They happen to be Collingwood hating d***heads anyway, but gee... preaching about the sanctity of ANZAC day one minute, booing when a military veteran is awarding the ANZAC medal the next. The hypocrisy of people is unbelievable. Pendles was being awarded the ANZAC medal by a veteran, the booing was totally disrespectful.

There's a time and a place for everything, and the Bombers supporters showed they have terrible timing. They're also two-faced liars, they were booing Pendles getting the medal, no ifs or buts. And Robbo can go get stuffed for pushing the lie that they were only booing the umpires in the H-S today too. If you believe that Robbo, then Melbourne and Carlton are a chance to play for the flag this year.
ANNODAM Gemini

Rebel Heart Tour - The Forum, Los Angeles 27/10/2015.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:47 pm

You know, these ESS assholes are really boiling my piss!

I would be ecstatic if the AFL canned this whole ANZAC Day game.
There should be no games played on this day at all, IMO.
It's been 25yrs, give it up but they won't have the balls to do it, the gutless knobs!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:34 pm

Too much money involved, especially the corporates. The AFL tried to get us to quit it by scheduling tough matches with only a few days break in recent years (and the opposition getting a few days more rest than us). We toughed it out, Eddie wouldn't give in. Out of pride, but also for the same reason the AFL won't scrap it... the money. How often would we get 90,000+ at a home and away game? At least we stuck it to the Toffs with Queens Birthday, they no longer have the monopoly on being the home team for gate receipts every single year.

Anyway, Robbo has and always will be Essendon's spin doctor.
Doc63 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:44 pm

Bucks5 wrote:
I saw a post in my Instagram feed yesterday which depicted Pendles and Hird as joint triple Anzac day medalists.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bws3DHhDFRS

OMG, read the comments by the kool aid drinking Bombers fans, apparently Pendles is a soft, diving, cheat while Hird is a true champion. Sickening especially after the PED scandal Hird caused at their club.

Essendon are just a disgusting organisation. I dont know how anyone can support them.

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:08 pm

K wrote:
Footy gets the boos

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/footy-gets-the-boos-20190426-p51hlr.html

Baum: "On the way home from the MCG, I made the mistake of listening to feedback on SEN. It was depressing. Vilification heaped upon vileness, upon bile, not mediated or checked. It was directed at the AFL, umpires, Nathan Buckley and, yes, Pendlebury, belying huffy claims that he was mere collateral in a broader protest."

Check out the pic of the lady bashing the ump with her umbrella. Cool

Thanks for the link to this article K. It's an excellent, thoughtful piece, which raised many valid points I believe. I would just like to single out this one of many:

Fans “smash” players - to use the social media formulation - for so-called skill errors by their own team, as if 100 percent is a pass mark only. Fatigued, aching bodies, operating in slivers of space or less, under duress we demand and acclaim, and under pain of getting hurt any millisecond now, sometimes execute in less than perfect manner, and a groan goes up. Crowds treat players as if they are mere avatars in a computer game, needing only to push the right button.

Our own supporters turn on our players so easily when the game is not being played to their expectations. Follow any match day thread here on Nick's for evidence of that. That has probably always happened with a minority, but social media platforms allow their bile to spew forth for us all to be subjected to now. If the Pies aren't blitzing the opposition out of the park, I'm never logging on to a match day thread on this board again. It's so depressing to see some posters get on the forum on match day to give out their weekly dose of player vilification.

Love the attack by umbrella!!! Laughing I was guilty of such behaviour in my younger days, when I whacked a Hawthorn supporter with an umbrella at a Waverley match. I was unfortunately seated next to him and had listened to the pr**k abuse our players for three quarters. I reached breaking point. Strangely, it shut him up!! but it was not my finest moment.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:13 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
I read this morning that, like me, Bevo thought the booing was rather funny and simply part of the tribalism of what footy is all about. I like the lad.

I saw this on FF last night. It had the opposite effect on me - he went down in my estimation. Doubt if he would think it funny if the Bont was the one being booed when being presented with a medal on an auspicious occasion.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:34 pm

Firstly: the reason for the booing was complete rubbish. Umpiring had no negative effect on the result for the Bombers. Quite the opposite given that they kicked at least 2 goals from poor decisions.

Umpire Shaun Ryan looked at the contentious last quarter decisions, the only one that was wrong? Baguley's free kick against Langdon which resulted in an Essendon goal, so they should have lost by more.

There can be some argument as to whether a couple of 50-50 frees could have been paid, but the main ones up for debate were in our forward 50 and Essendon got the ball immediately afterwards anyway. Impact almost zero.

The whining simply wasn't warranted. They were never in front so never had the game to be snatched away. If you want to see a game that really was affected by umpiring, look at the Hawks loss to the Bulldogs this year. A game the Hawks had in their keeping until umpiring took over. Hawks fans had a right to be aggrieved, Bombers fans did not. And yet? No disgraceful post match behaviour from Hawks fans.

Given that there is simply nothing to support the umpiring as being so horrendous that an out of the ordinary response by fans could be excused, the sustained booing well after the game had ended was completely inappropriate and rightly called out by Bucks.

We can say booing is and always has been part of the game. I've never liked it for any reason really, but that is true. However, booing during a medal ceremony has never been part of the game. This is a time to accept the loss and show some respect. For booing at that time - something that has almost never been done. I do remember Judd being booed after winning the medal in a derby in 2006. In this case they were booing the decision because the Eagles lost the game, this at least has some logic - you need a good reason for that to be supported. The Bombers fans not only had no "good" reason they had no reason. The umpiring was not terribly biased against them. They did not lose a game they should have won. They simply lost a close game that they never headed.

I don't care if I'm called a wowser or advocate of a "nanny state" but there is such a thing as manners and acceptable public behaviour. For me, booing in any circumstance is fairly borderline, though when it's pantomime like booing a former player etc, I don't have a problem with it. What we saw on Thursday was uglier, and yet, if it had have stopped once the umpires had left the ground - which it did for around 5 mins, there was no booing during the Collingwood song or while Sidebottom was interviewed - it would have been ok. Starting up again and intensifying the boos when Pendlebury started speaking and again when he was thanking the crowd - was completely unacceptable. The Bombers fans had no excuse, they'd already had their opportunity to express displeasure (even though misplaced) and boo the long gone umpires, booing Pendlebury, and that's what it was, can not be justified. It was pathetic and, to my memory, completely unprecedented. I've never seen anything like it.

We lost the 2018 GF on a dodgy umpiring decision after leading most of the day. Booing during the ceremonies would have been much more justified there, but it didn't happen, so claims that we'd have done the same are rubbish. I'm not saying it's because we are some special kind of fans, just that no fans have done this and anytime they do they should be called out. It's a complete lie to say that the booing we saw on Thursday is "normal", it just isn't, it's a special case of terrible fan behaviour and sportsmanship and has rightly been condemned by most commentators.

ANNODAM Gemini

Rebel Heart Tour - The Forum, Los Angeles 27/10/2015.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:52 pm

Doc63 wrote:
Essendon are just a disgusting organisation. I dont know how anyone can support them.

Essendon anything are disgusting!
Even their affiliated clubs.

For years the EBC have been at me for my daughter to join their Women's side & I have never swayed.
I keep saying: Look at your guernsey, how can I (as a COLL supporter) live with myself if my daughter was to parade around a field in those disgraceful colours! You receive money from the EFC & I cannot support them in any way shape or form, sorry but no, I don't care how many State players you have in your team!

They look at me like I have 2 heads!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:01 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
Firstly: the reason for the booing was complete rubbish. Umpiring had no negative effect on the result for the Bombers. Quite the opposite given that they kicked at least 2 goals from poor decisions.

Umpire Shaun Ryan looked at the contentious last quarter decisions, the only one that was wrong? Baguley's free kick against Langdon which resulted in an Essendon goal, so they should have lost by more.

There can be some argument as to whether a couple of 50-50 frees could have been paid, but the main ones up for debate were in our forward 50 and Essendon got the ball immediately afterwards anyway. Impact almost zero.

The whining simply wasn't warranted. They were never in front so never had the game to be snatched away. If you want to see a game that really was affected by umpiring, look at the Hawks loss to the Bulldogs this year. A game the Hawks had in their keeping until umpiring took over. Hawks fans had a right to be aggrieved, Bombers fans did not. And yet? No disgraceful post match behaviour from Hawks fans.

Given that there is simply nothing to support the umpiring as being so horrendous that an out of the ordinary response by fans could be excused, the sustained booing well after the game had ended was completely inappropriate and rightly called out by Bucks.

We can say booing is and always has been part of the game. I've never liked it for any reason really, but that is true. However, booing during a medal ceremony has never been part of the game. This is a time to accept the loss and show some respect. For booing at that time - something that has almost never been done. I do remember Judd being booed after winning the medal in a derby in 2006. In this case they were booing the decision because the Eagles lost the game, this at least has some logic - you need a good reason for that to be supported. The Bombers fans not only had no "good" reason they had no reason. The umpiring was not terribly biased against them. They did not lose a game they should have won. They simply lost a close game that they never headed.

I don't care if I'm called a wowser or advocate of a "nanny state" but there is such a thing as manners and acceptable public behaviour. For me, booing in any circumstance is fairly borderline, though when it's pantomime like booing a former player etc, I don't have a problem with it. What we saw on Thursday was uglier, and yet, if it had have stopped once the umpires had left the ground - which it did for around 5 mins, there was no booing during the Collingwood song or while Sidebottom was interviewed - it would have been ok. Starting up again and intensifying the boos when Pendlebury started speaking and again when he was thanking the crowd - was completely unacceptable. The Bombers fans had no excuse, they'd already had their opportunity to express displeasure (even though misplaced) and boo the long gone umpires, booing Pendlebury, and that's what it was, can not be justified. It was pathetic and, to my memory, completely unprecedented. I've never seen anything like it.

We lost the 2018 GF on a dodgy umpiring decision after leading most of the day. Booing during the ceremonies would have been much more justified there, but it didn't happen, so claims that we'd have done the same are rubbish. I'm not saying it's because we are some special kind of fans, just that no fans have done this and anytime they do they should be called out. It's a complete lie to say that the booing we saw on Thursday is "normal", it just isn't, it's a special case of terrible fan behaviour and sportsmanship and has rightly been condemned by most commentators.

agree totally with this summary. There is no doubt that the Essendon fans were booing Pendlebury because they felt aggrieved by the freekick he got when he bent down to pick up the ball. That resentment was the channel through which burst through all their frustration. Bucks was absolutlely correct: booing a champion like Pendlebury is a was a disgraceful step by them which will brand them.

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:06 pm

Excellent post AN-Inkling! I agree with every word.

I was intrigued by two of the things you highlight - firstly, why the Essendon supporters thought they got the wrong end of the umpiring mistakes to such a huge degree that it cost them the match. We were actually playing all over them in the final minutes with the ball locked in our forward half and it was this that cost them the game.

Secondly, why did the Bomber fans react so vehemently to losing a game anyway??? It was completely over the top. I wonder if they are still feeling victimized over the drug cheating scandal?? ??
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:29 pm

Here we are. Umpire Shaun Ryan says "controversial" calls were reviewed as correct. Can be self-serving, but the explanations seem reasonable:

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-04-27/they-were-the-correct-calls-umpire-stands-by-anzac-day-calls

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:31 pm

Essendon were not the recipient of bad umpiring decisions near the end of the game.....however, this was clearly the view of the Bomber fans. This is why I found their booing even more hilarious, as it demonstrated their delusional state of minds. I disagree with much of inky's analysis, but he is right in saying the umpires actually prevented us from winning by more.

To the Bomber fans all I can say is boo hoo. Razz
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:51 pm

^

I agree.All this guff about the solemnity of the occasion, give me a spell. That's all pore game. Once the game starts it's a game of footy, players don't care what date it is and fans get wound up, cheer and boo.

I personally don't boo, I'm more likely to yell obscenities infrequently, but I don't read more into it than people being pissed off and letting it out.

I'm somewhat disappointed that the umpires have said they reviewed all the decisions in the final quarter and all were correct with the exception of 1 free kick to Essendon that resulted in a goal.

I'd have preferred they said that they made mistakes and Essendon should have got free kicks against us, just to twist the knife a little. Twisted Evil Razz Wink

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:11 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

I agree.All this guff about the solemnity of the occasion, give me a spell. That's all pore game. Once the game starts it's a game of footy, players don't care what date it is and fans get wound up, cheer and boo.

I personally don't boo, I'm more likely to yell obscenities infrequently, but I don't read more into it than people being pissed off and letting it out.

I don't think Inkling was glorifying the "solemnity of the occasion". I certainly wasn't. I didn't object to their booing of Pendlebury because of the solemnity of the occasion. I objected because Pendlebury is a champion of the game, and to boo him shows a total lack of sportsmanship and respect for such a courageous, and fair, footballer. I wouldn't have cared if it was Anzac Day, or the Queens Birthday, or the 4th of July, or April Fools Day, or whatever. I still would have had the same opinion.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 8 of 13   

Jump to: