Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies beat Bombers . All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:22 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I still wonder whether he's the only one at the club who calls Jamie "Bill" (no "-y")!
DT 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:25 pm

Howe should not be suspended- it was not a sling tackle. It is footy and accidents happen.
thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:31 pm

Visions of a repeat of the GF, but thankfully we came out on top when the siren blew.

After last week's bruise free game, it was good to have a tough hard fought win.

Thought we pretty much controlled the last quarter, so would of been disappointing to lose.

Still need to take advantage of our dominance and out it on the scoreboard.

Lost the clearances after 1/4 time, so need to be better at that.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:41 pm

Great win. We were excellent in the first quarter and a half and should have been 40 or 50 points up at that stage. We struggled after that but our ability to withstand Essendon's constant attacks into our under siege defence was great. They're an incredibly fast team, so that was always a worry heading into the match but we absorbed it well.

Fantastic game by our captain. He was involved in everything and a worthy winner of the medal today. Disgraceful by the Essendon supporters to boo him especially in a moment when he was thanking the crowd and paying tribute to the significance of the day.

Impressive return game for Hoskin-Elliott. I was worried about his fitness as he wasn't match hardened, but he held up well and made the absence of Elliott easier to adjust to. He's clearly a best 22 player when fit.

Starting to become a bit worried about Beams. I've wondered whether we should play him as a half forward flanker rather than through the middle. He doesn't win many clearances and he's not a great two way runner either. He's a very handy player and will provide a solid contribution to the team, but I don't think he's greatly enhanced our team from last year. It will be interesting to see how he progresses as he begins his adjustment to the team.

Losing the clearances on a regular basis has become a pressing concern for mine. I don't know what the story is with him, but I think we're missing Sier more than we realise and he would go some way to addressing this problem.

Overall, it's a very good sign that we're grinding out victories even if we haven't played our best football yet. It's a sign of a strong football team. We're building nicely, but we've got plenty left to give.

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:41 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Mr Miyagi wrote:
The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
We didn't deserve to win... very lucky.

Yes we did. We stuck it out, stopped them from getting in front on the scoreboard. We won it.

Time in front: Collingwood 102.50; Essendon - zip.

Nor, it should be said, did Essendon ever look capable of beating us - although it did look for much of the game (including our dominating first quarter, in which we probably finished with 4 fewer goals than we should have had on the play) like we might contrive to beat ourselves. Anyway, I hope the Essendon supporters are all banned for life (all of them - not just the ones at the ground) for booing Pendles like that. He’s been too good for their sorry excuse for a bunch of drug cheats for about 14 seasons in a row.

Exactly. It got closer than I thought it would but it felt like we kept them at arm's reach all game.

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:45 pm

Black & White Blood wrote:
If Essendon beat us this way, it would be celebrated as an amazing backs to the wall victory reminiscent of the ANZAC tradition

Exactly 2

Channel 7 were barracking hard all game but couldn't quite get them there. And we would have been branded chokers.
In the end, its in the book, 4 pts, no one records the missed free kicks in the history books.

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:50 pm

K wrote:
"Where are my frees?! I didn't duck!"

Dropped your knees repeatedly though Tippa. The umpires are onto you.

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:53 pm

Jezza wrote:
Starting to become a bit worried about Beams.

Beams' first half was pretty darn good. I had him in the votes then.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:54 pm

Cam wrote:
Jezza wrote:
Starting to become a bit worried about Beams.

Beams' first half was pretty darn good. I had him in the votes then.

His numbers are consistently solid, but I don't think he's been a damaging player to the opposition.

I'd rate his season thus far as being solid without being spectacular.

jatsad 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:03 am

derkd wrote:
simon tonna wrote:
seriously thought we would kill them all over the ground.
I hope we learnt something today

The worrying take home, both West Coast grand final and this game. When Essendon got their game going we were beaten across the ground.

The only thing that saved us was the margin. Looks at half time and after our scoring dried right up... just like the grand final.

You don't think if they had kicked straight, it would have been over much earlier.

jatsad 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:09 am
Post subject: Re: Post Match. Pies beat Bombers . All comments please.Reply with quote

Nearly wrote:
kudos to Josh Thomas. May have gone unnoticed. But when JDG stuck on the bench in final minutes, no one wanted to come off, JT made the team decision. “I’ll cone off, we’re better if he’s on than me’”.

Well done son.

Best decision he made all day.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:14 am

K wrote:
masoncox wrote:
think positive wrote:
What is Howe getting suspended for?

Was it the sling tackle?
Can't remember which pie player it was.

Yes, that was Howe's tackle.

They will have a real good look at this one. Ridley staggered off but he wasn’t knocked out cold at all. There was no malice or intent by Howe but the old “ duty of care “ card tends to come out every time someone gets the wobbles up. Watch this space.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:25 am

Jezza wrote:
Great win. We were excellent in the first quarter and a half and should have been 40 or 50 points up at that stage. We struggled after that but our ability to withstand Essendon's constant attacks into our under siege defence was great. They're an incredibly fast team, so that was always a worry heading into the match but we absorbed it well.

Fantastic game by our captain. He was involved in everything and a worthy winner of the medal today. Disgraceful by the Essendon supporters to boo him especially in a moment when he was thanking the crowd and paying tribute to the significance of the day.

Impressive return game for Hoskin-Elliott. I was worried about his fitness as he wasn't match hardened, but he held up well and made the absence of Elliott easier to adjust to. He's clearly a best 22 player when fit.

Starting to become a bit worried about Beams. I've wondered whether we should play him as a half forward flanker rather than through the middle. He doesn't win many clearances and he's not a great two way runner either. He's a very handy player and will provide a solid contribution to the team, but I don't think he's greatly enhanced our team from last year. It will be interesting to see how he progresses as he begins his adjustment to the team.

Losing the clearances on a regular basis has become a pressing concern for mine. I don't know what the story is with him, but I think we're missing Sier more than we realise and he would go some way to addressing this problem.

Overall, it's a very good sign that we're grinding out victories even if we haven't played our best football yet. It's a sign of a strong football team. We're building nicely, but we've got plenty left to give.

Great Post Jezza.

I too want more from beams, needs to step up, but in saying that he still seemed out of sorts,

And i thought Sidebottom really stood up today. We had a few really putting thier heads over the ball. And how good is it to see the opposition try and smother a 21 year old beanpole kid! Stevo is just pure class, love him. So good to have Hos back, we really missed his class.

hopefully next week he is back to slotting them!

cheers, Go Pies!!

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:36 am

While the coaches will examine the game in fine detail to digest what went right and wrong and the media scribes will no doubt focus on the umpiring decisions for a simple fella like myself the key moments that allowed Essendon back into the game was the poor entry inside our forward 50 during the second quarter that limited our ability to capitalise on our dominance. We simply bombed the ball long and high all to often when we needed to lower our eyes.

This inability to take our pound of flesh off Essendon during the second quarter was only compounded when we fell into our old habit of not running out quarters and allowed red time goals. Ouch!

Not surprisingly our biggest issue of the day was of course our set shot goal kicking.

A lot might have changed over the decades in football but one thing that will always remain the same is that you need to take your chances more often than not in front of goal and ending the day with more goals than behinds showing on the scoreboard is always more advantageous.

Missing set shots can not only rob a team of valuable momentum that is often translated into a run of goals that win games it can also hand it straight back to the opposition if they can reply with a goal of their own in a timely manner.

The scoreboard will say if we kick a point and the opposition kick a goal it will equate to a negative 5 point differential.

If you think it through a little further though if you have the opportunity to extend let's say an 24pt lead to 30pts, miss and the opposition then score a goal what could have been a 5 goal buffer is suddenly little more than 3 goals. That's an 11pt turnaround.

Repeat that outcome enough times in succession like today and what could have been game over is suddenly game in the balance and the opposition have gained the momentum.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:42 am

PyreneesPie wrote:
As well as the umpiring and the Essendon booing of Pendles being putrid, the commentary from Bruce and Brian was much the same I thought!!! The voice excitement levels reached fever pitch whenever Essendon did something positive, but was far more controlled and less effusive if the Pies did something well.
Who was it that Bruce used to salivate over - Rioli or maybe it was Buddy. Fair enough, as both were/are incredible players. However, it seems that the golden boy of the moment is Daniher and it got so bad, that every time Daniher was in the action, I muted the call. Actually, I had the commentary muted for much of the last quarter, they were giving me the s**ts to such a degree. They were just willing Essendon to get up.
Unfortunately, because we are in more featured time slots this season, I fear that's going to happen a lot in coming games. Does anyone know of a more unbiased commentary team to listen to via radio or app, while watching the game?

I always mute the whole game now, if I watch it live. Lets face it, if u go to the footy u don't have some guy inside ur head telling u what is happening u can see it for yourself. Both bruce and taylour are pains in the ass, and Ling and carey annoy me, I just mute and watch in peace, keeps my blood pressure down too. Idea Idea

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 11 of 16   

Jump to: