Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

JDG goal kicking

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:06 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies4shaw wrote:
Skids wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
^ The way they will all improve is by passing it to WHE (when he's back in the side). Now, there's the guy you'd pick out of our team to have the shot that the flag depends upon.

No, it's Josh Thomas (70%)

WHE is with most others (63%)

Give them each the same kick from the same distance and angle and I would take WHE every time. He's a superior kick in every way.

So, your'e 100% certain, that all JT's goals.... were easier to kick than WHE's?

JT 69.30 @ 70% (72 games)
WHE 102.61 @ 63% (101 games)

You're even better than you think you are if you can be sure of that.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:29 pm

Skids wrote:
K wrote:
Again, the difficulty of the shots matters...

And who/how is this assessed?
Just think about how stupid that is for a moment.

They (the company half-owned by the AFL) can and do assess it. It's not hard at all. They just need to record the details of the goal: location of the kick, etc. It's easy if you have the data, which they do. You just need enough cheap labour to collect all that data.

Unfortunately, the AFL is very reluctant to share this info with the public. Journos have been complaining that stuff has been disappearing from the AFL website, so they may be getting worse, not better.

Buckley talked about this at a Member Forum a few years ago. (Maybe it was in response to a member question. I can't remember.) It was the year when Isaac Smith had that set shot after the siren to win the final and missed. That was Buckley's example. Maybe you should have flown over for the Member Forum that year. Wink

But we don't need that to realize that Jordy right now is not a good set shot. We've seen it a lot in the last year. Many easy missed set shots. Some nice long goals. Some nice play-ons from the left pocket, curling the ball across the body. He's got things to work on, as all footballers do.
E 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:34 am

i am so glad someone wrote about this as its been something that is occupying my mind.

I have been watching JDG kicking for goal quite carefully this year.

I noticed that when he marks the ball in the left pocket (as we look at it on the tellie), he can wheel around and snap a goal on the right and that around the corner kick is something where he just let's his natural ability take over.

In the other pocket he is forced to take a set shot. I cant tell you the number of easy shots on goal that he has missed.

I think his confidence is low on set shots which is why he wheels around on the right and appears to be cavalier in his approach. If he wants to be remembered alongside Gary Ablett Snr /(something i think that is within his grasp), he is going to need to work on his goal kicking.

As for guys who are brilliant kicks for goal - It Mihocek, Varcoe and Thomas for mine. They occassionally screw it up but they are seriously reliable and the ball rarely deviates off the straight line.

The best way to tell is the 45 meter kick on a 45 degree angle. Those three blokes are almost always able to steer those through.

E 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:38 am

Skids wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Skids wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
^ The way they will all improve is by passing it to WHE (when he's back in the side). Now, there's the guy you'd pick out of our team to have the shot that the flag depends upon.

No, it's Josh Thomas (70%)

WHE is with most others (63%)

Give them each the same kick from the same distance and angle and I would take WHE every time. He's a superior kick in every way.

So, your'e 100% certain, that all JT's goals.... were easier to kick than WHE's?

JT 69.30 @ 70% (72 games)
WHE 102.61 @ 63% (101 games)

You're even better than you think you are if you can be sure of that.

Guys, you are arguing over semantics. Both WHE and JT are EXCELLENT shots for goal. I do agree with whichever one of you (its hard to tell) is saying that scoring percentage isn't that accurate of a story because not just the where, but the when in the game, also matters. I feel really good when either of these guys shoot for goal, but i'd say the same for Mihocek and Wells (although having said that, when Mihocek was kicking for his fifth against Brisbane - which would have been a personal best - his shot on goal was awful - i wonder if he was thinking too much about how cool 5 goaqls would be and not enough about executing the perfect kick!
)

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:13 am

They're knackered from two way gut-running before they get the shot on goal. It's an issue at all clubs and just the way the game is played now. The fatigued shots at goal can't be simulated in training unless they run them ragged and then line them up to have a few pings. That's the issue -- they're pretty relaxed and rested when doing goal practice at training, but it's a different situation in game where they're blowing like old Pebbles used to. Maybe get Pebbles to give them some tips on how to kick for goal when you're blowing like an old steam train?
K 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:13 pm

For sure, that was a factor in Elliott's behind off the side of his boot against Crozier. It's not the reason for JdG's misses. You don't see him gasping as he lines up like others.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:53 pm

As usual, an easy miss today (before the Sidebottom goal, I think) and, as usual, many easy misses from teammates too.
simon tonna 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:57 pm

I know who I don't want taking a shot for goal.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:01 pm

I guess that's a plural (and large) 'who', but eventually someone has to take the shot. They cannot always just run the ball to the goal line (which is what all modern teams like doing, because none of them can kick reliably).
E 

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:02 am

He officially has the yips!
Redcraze Virgo

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 10:45 am

Watching Collingwood, particularly this season, I have been struck by the number of players whose hands wobble excessively from side to side while they are taking a set shot at goal. It's got to the stage where I shout "No" or "Yes" before the boot touches the ball. How often am I right? Well, about the same number of times that the kick is accurate.
K 

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 2:42 pm

Collingwood goal-kicking accuracy:
R1 36%, R2 59%, R3 41%, R4 37%, R5 49%, R6 33%, R7 43%.

Shocked

Some of the misses yesterday were shocking.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 2:44 pm

Positivity, K - just wait until they get it right.
slangman 

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 5:03 pm

Fix up our goal kicking and we won’t lose.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 5:08 pm

Its not just an issue with him. Jaidyn also freezes up when shooting for goal and doesn't kick through it. Reid does it too.

We do have a problem with goal kicking especially from 20-40m out.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: