Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Weekly Player Ratings; Round 5

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
inxs88 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:00 pm
Post subject: Weekly Player Ratings; Round 5Reply with quote

The benefit of an Easter Thursday win and a convincing one at that, is we can all relax without anxiety. Our most complete performance of the year last night with a welcome return to the 2018 style of ball movement. Hopefully Essendon's soft kill of the Roos put them under a false sense of security and we can go 4:2. In terms of the performances last night:

1. Stephenson: best game of the season last night with more goals, goal assists and gut running all over the field. The challenge is to play upfield with the same composure. 8/10

2. DeGoey: fast becoming our most adaptable and influential player. Set us up right from the start last night and has second half shift on ball was an enormous catalyst in our 3rd quarter surge. On 14 goals after 5 matches and has a swagger and self confidence unlike any other player. 8.5/10

4. Grundy: Solid and steady without the dominance of last week. Shaded Martin and was influential at key times. 7/10

5. Elliott: best game for the year. Moved freely, marked strongly and assisted numerous others in hitting the scoreboard. 20 quarters now for Jamie and counting. 8/10

7. Treloar: fantastic match and clearly our best on ground. He blanketed Lachie Neale, had 36 possessions himself and was instrumental in our forward thrusts to goal. 9/10

8. Langdon: brilliant start with 10 possessions in first quarter before his influence abated. The regulation 1-2 heart in your mouth Langdon vague moments. 7/10

10. Pendlebury: the most effective disposal efficiency game of the year. Still think a permanent shift to half back is the way to go. 8/10

11. Beams: always tough going back to your old home and copping the wrath of supporters and he handled it with aplomb. Yet to have that huge stellar game yet, but 26 possessions, a big goal and excellent disposal made him one of our best. 8.5/10

13. Adams: Less ubiquitous but no less effective and complimented the team performance well. 7.5/10

14. Aish: may have executed his best ever kick to Cox in the first quarter last night before getting crudely concussed from McCarthy. Unfair to rate.

17. C. Brown: 2 goals and plenty of involvement throughout the night showcased his best game for the Pies. Good to see his reputation as a "gun groundball getter" highlight itself last night. 7/10

18. Varcoe: Replaced Aish off half back after half time which contributed to 8 of his 11 possessions. A great smother but Trav needs to know he is on the edge of selection/non selection every week. 4/10

21. Phillips: Thought he was better last night than last week. Why? Clanger count down, disposal more efficient and his forays into defence to lend support more critical. 8.5/10

22. Sidebottom: Barassi used to be harder on those "whom could" than those whom "couldn't". So on that basis, I thought Steele was well below his best. Sure, got his fair share of the ball but did so down back. When venturing forward, he couldn't hit a chest, couldn't make the distance from 45 meters out and for the 4th time this year went goalless". Can and must do better. 5/10

23. Roughead: quiet night but beat opponent and wasn't needed like he was last week against the Dogs. 5/10

24. Thomas: not 2018 esque just yet but a notch up on last week's semi return to form against the Dogs. Hopefully due to fill his pockets with a bag soon. 6/10

25. Crisp: Outside the inconsequential late "Gubby Allan moment" across goal, Jack was exceptional with his run and carry and just letting the Brisbane hierarchy and fans realise what they gave up. 8.5/10

30. Moore: Darcy gave Hipwood a bath. On track for All Australian and like Jamie 20 quarters without a ping. 8/10

37. Maynard: more 2015 Brayden than 2018 with two terrible clangers in the first quarter. Rayner kicked two important goals on him, so a bit to work on here. 5/10

38. Howe: more close checking than aerial and flair for Jeremy. Was part of a tight backline unit that held the Lions to 8 goals. 7/10

41. Mihocek: Was due to fill his bags and did so accordingly with great reward for great workrate. His pace and accuracy cannot be underestimated and such a bonus recruit for us. By the way has kicked 37 goals in 21 matches. 8.5/10

46. Mason: less influential than normal. Some key grabs, knock on's and body work in packs. 6/10

Summary:

we were slick, quick, organised and complete in our performance. A great turnaround from the Bulldogs. Good to see that the players are coachable and malleable enough to change.

Welcome your thoughts and feedback as always.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:51 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Mybe Mason was thinking about the scurrilous accusations against his mate Joe Biden.

Maybe we need to look at Varcoe as a late career Ricky Barham type role. Not much game time but quick impact. If you have been watching the WCE-Port game it one reason Port are killing them. Quick paced tacklers not allowing the big blokes to get a look at the ball coming in forward.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:28 am

I thought Grundy monstered Martin.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:55 am

INXS appreciate the work you do on these but have to disagree with a couple today
Being live at the game gives you a different view on things
Roughhead held Hipwood very well and his body positioning was excellent against him thought he was at least a 6/10
Sidey was everywhere in defence at times giving our backs a option for release as well impacting contests when required. He mopped up a lot of ball down back. Have to agree with P4S that he's being asked to play a team orientated role and 5/10 is unders IMO
If you rate both Grundy and Langdon as 7/10 then I'm lost
Grundy was fantastic all night giving us first use of the ball and then following up with ground ball gets and clearances. I thought he was a 8/10 again
As for Langdon his 10 touches in the 1st term were of absolutely minimal value. He was the beneficiary of handball received from team mates and gained 21m in first term. 6 kicks out of 22 touches highlights a weakness in his game (like previous weeks) that either 1 he isn't trusted but the coaches kicking the ball or 2 he lacks confidence in kicking the ball. A defender has 2 jobs 1 stop goals 2 clear the ball from defence so stop opposition kicking goals. Hand balling it 2m to a team mate who is under pressure isn't a best practise solution many times
He did some very good spoiling and impacting on contests but watching it live at the ground he was found out of position many times and was covered by team mates getting back in support like Sidey
I thought it was a average performance closer to 5/10 than 7/10 based on the performances of his team mates
Cox was responsible for some very clever moments that led to goals. His presence alone at contests inside 50 took 2 opposition players away and made life easier for our other attackers. He's playing an important team role like many others. Yes we would all like more performances like the prelim against the Tigers but he was better than a 6/10 IMO

INXS these are only my opinions and I wouldn't comment so unless seeing the game live I think some things aren't seen on TV as they do live
Mate many thanks for your weekly hard work much appreciated
DT 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:14 am

Very good effort INXS - your opinion is very accurate in my view.

The big point is that we finally saw improvement from Stevo JT Treloar to reach closer to their real level. Grundy is getting better each week too and this flowed on to Beams and Pendlebury. Suddenly we have a critical mass of top players playing well. JDG is having a great season and just keeps on getting better.

In my view, Grundy, Treloar and JDG are our best players and most influential. After that it is Pendlebury, Cox and Moore in terms of influence albeit Pendlebury, Adams, Crisp, Howe and Sidebottom are better than Cox and Moore but not more influential. If these blokes play well we will be very hard to beat.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:04 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
INXS appreciate the work you do on these but have to disagree with a couple today
Being live at the game gives you a different view on things
Roughhead held Hipwood very well and his body positioning was excellent against him thought he was at least a 6/10
Sidey was everywhere in defence at times giving our backs a option for release as well impacting contests when required. He mopped up a lot of ball down back. Have to agree with P4S that he's being asked to play a team orientated role and 5/10 is unders IMO
If you rate both Grundy and Langdon as 7/10 then I'm lost
Grundy was fantastic all night giving us first use of the ball and then following up with ground ball gets and clearances. I thought he was a 8/10 again
As for Langdon his 10 touches in the 1st term were of absolutely minimal value. He was the beneficiary of handball received from team mates and gained 21m in first term. 6 kicks out of 22 touches highlights a weakness in his game (like previous weeks) that either 1 he isn't trusted but the coaches kicking the ball or 2 he lacks confidence in kicking the ball. A defender has 2 jobs 1 stop goals 2 clear the ball from defence so stop opposition kicking goals. Hand balling it 2m to a team mate who is under pressure isn't a best practise solution many times
He did some very good spoiling and impacting on contests but watching it live at the ground he was found out of position many times and was covered by team mates getting back in support like Sidey
I thought it was a average performance closer to 5/10 than 7/10 based on the performances of his team mates
Cox was responsible for some very clever moments that led to goals. His presence alone at contests inside 50 took 2 opposition players away and made life easier for our other attackers. He's playing an important team role like many others. Yes we would all like more performances like the prelim against the Tigers but he was better than a 6/10 IMO

INXS these are only my opinions and I wouldn't comment so unless seeing the game live I think some things aren't seen on TV as they do live
Mate many thanks for your weekly hard work much appreciated

Thanks for the feedback and I always Back “live eyes” at the game versus the armchair expert. I actually wrestled with both Langdon’s and Grundy’s
ratings. It might sound odd but I often measure the ranking out of 10 against the player himself. That being if Grundy got a 9/10 againstBulldogs and whose Champion Data stats and sheer effectiveness was B.O.G, his 7/10 or 2 point deduction was an adjustment to reflect his impact on the game.

Langdon did get some cheapies early and I am President of his anti
fan club but any game where he avoids “brain farts” (like the one’s Maynard committed) Tommy gets a reprieve 😀.

Glad you like the weekly ratings. Doesn’t seem to be getting huge traction but I’ll persevere. All an opinion game I guess.

PS: I have Sidey under the pump. He is a gun and well respected and liked by me. However he let us down on Grand Final day after a awesome season. He just can’t be allowed to think that his roaming style and space game is conducive to Grand Final pressure. Hutchings got him! With his talent and volume of ball, he should average over 1 goal per game vs .6 a game. Fussy? Yes! But the blokes with ability need to have higher benchmarks and expectations out on them.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:49 pm

DT wrote:
Very good effort INXS - your opinion is very accurate in my view.

The big point is that we finally saw improvement from Stevo JT Treloar to reach closer to their real level. Grundy is getting better each week too and this flowed on to Beams and Pendlebury. Suddenly we have a critical mass of top players playing well. JDG is having a great season and just keeps on getting better.

In my view, Grundy, Treloar and JDG are our best players and most influential. After that it is Pendlebury, Cox and Moore in terms of influence albeit Pendlebury, Adams, Crisp, Howe and Sidebottom are better than Cox and Moore but not more influential. If these blokes play well we will be very hard to beat.

Absolutely

inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:11 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
I thought Grundy monstered Martin.

Reckon he monstered English last week and he simply beat Martin

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:42 pm

The coaches rated Treloar, Grundy, Mihocek, Phillips, Pendlebury and Stephenson our best players.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:53 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
The coaches rated Treloar, Grundy, Mihocek, Phillips, Pendlebury and Stephenson our best players.

similar to my best

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:04 am

You had Grundy about equal 12th but, yes, similar.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:11 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
You had Grundy about equal 12th but, yes, similar.

Fair enough. In the words of Meatloaf..... 2 out of 3.....

K 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:20 pm

"2 out of 3 ain't Grundy?"
inxs88 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:19 am

Selection should be interesting. My tip is that IF Aish is out Greenwood comes in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: