Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#9 John Noble

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inxs88 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:36 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Handy depth player at worst
Boot 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:08 pm

In hindsight would have Noble done better than Ginnivan in the finals team? I doubt he would have done any worse and he has the advantage of extra pace compared to Ginnivan.
Hence, I'd persist with Noble but try to get him into the team as a gut running defensive forward.

K 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:45 pm

"John Noble goal vs Adelaide Crows multi-call (AFL Nation/ABC/MMM/Five aa)":

https://twitter.com/laceoutofficial/status/1652637451738046465
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:30 pm

Thanks for posting that, K – a great moment.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:43 pm

Noble has been a very good player for us over the past 2 seasons. However, getting dropped for our finals campaign is evidence that he is considered our 'weak link' in defence. That being the case, if I was Noble I'd be looking for better opportunities at another club. That could result in a win win for both player and club.
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:32 am

I dare say if our opposition had featured smaller forward lines, Johnny would have played.

We are very much a horses-for-courses team.
piffdog 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:46 am

^ agreed. I think his omission was more around matchup. Melbourne bullied him when we played them, and Brisbane have Daniher and Hipwood. Perhaps could have played against GWS but hard to change up a winning team from the QF.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:25 am

Cameron kicking 10 goals against us in the 2 previous Bears encounters (in which JN played) didn't help.

He has many admirable qualities but his size and strength are problematic - he is always a risk in a one-on-one overhead contest and he struggles to impact when the opposition is physical. No, I don't mean he is "soft" - he most certainly isn't, just slight - imagine JN faced with Rayner's attempt to barge through Markov in the middle of the ground. I think we all know there's very little prospect Noble would have stuck that tackle, brought Rayner down and turned the tide.
Meredith1965 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:29 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
Cameron kicking 10 goals against us in the 2 previous Bears encounters (in which JN played) didn't help.

He has many admirable qualities but his size and strength are problematic - he is always a risk in a one-on-one overhead contest and he struggles to impact when the opposition is physical. No, I don't mean he is "soft" - he most certainly isn't, just slight - imagine JN faced with Rayner's attempt to barge through Markov in the middle of the ground. I think we all know there's very little prospect Noble would have stuck that tackle, brought Rayner down and turned the tide.

I think this is right. It happened for a reason. I’d love to see him tried as a complement to Bobby Hill, running back hard into the forward line on turnover in what I want to call the patented Hill elastic band which killed Melbourne and Brisbane in two finals (I had forgotten how pivotal Bobby Hill was in QF1 vs Melb).
piffdog 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:10 am

Is he/does he have potential to be a winger?
K 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:02 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
... That being the case, if I was Noble I'd be looking for better opportunities at another club. That could result in a win win for both player and club.

He can't. He signed a new deal this year and Wright made it clear the club won't consider a trade.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:42 pm

K wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
... That being the case, if I was Noble I'd be looking for better opportunities at another club. That could result in a win win for both player and club.

He can't. He signed a new deal this year and Wright made it clear the club won't consider a trade.

He can. Just ask Taylor Adams who had another year of his contract with us. All it means is that our club would have to agree to letting him go to another club. I'm not saying that our club wants to let him go, simply that if I was Noble I'd be definitely exploring opportunities elsewhere. I have it on good authority that Noble was rated as our weakest link across our 2022 finals campaign, which is why he was dropped for this year's finals. Footy is a ruthless business, and sometimes improvement for a club comes at the price of sacrificing individual players.
K 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:44 pm

Nope. Wright knocked down the possibility straight away when asked by the media.

OTOH, as reported by media last week, the club wanted to make things easy for Tay out of respect for his years of service.
piffdog 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:25 pm

Could Noble be a WHE replacement? Surely he has the same endurance. Would reduce the need for him to be a one on one stopper and allow him to run around by himself like most wingers do.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:42 pm

piffdog wrote:
Could Noble be a WHE replacement? Surely he has the same endurance. ...

WHE's been one of very few on our list who's had high-end athleticism. (As tested in the Combine.)

Johnny's best chance is surely still Oleg's spot. Folks seem to get carried away by Oleg's personality. His GF was pretty shaky.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 25 of 27   

Jump to: