Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre Match. Pies v. Bulldogs. All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:03 pm
Post subject: Pre Match. Pies v. Bulldogs. All comments please.Reply with quote

Friday. MCG. 7.50

Collingwood v. Western Bulldogs

Let's hear ya !!

from RudeBoy:

"While it would be silly to make wholesale changes to our team, I think we need some changes, to improve what has thus far been a rather ordinary start to the season.

We need more run and speed, so I would drop Roughead this week, and bring back Varcoe off the backline. The dogs don't have big power forwards, so Moore, Howe and Langdon can look after their talls. Moore can relieve Grundy in the ruck, for brief spells only.

I'd also drop Cox, who has failed to improve on his overall pretty average 2018 season. We were all hoping he would take off from his terrific Prelim finals form, but alas, this has not occurred. Apparently Reid won the game for us in the VFL taking several marks and kicking a few goals. At least Reid is a natural forward.

I'd also drop Greenwood - who is valuable only in some games as a tagger - as he slows down our midfield. Move Sidey into the centre, where we are being beaten, and play Crocker as a winger, where he was BOG in the VFL with 33 disposals.

Out: Cox, Greenwood, Roughead
In: Reid, Crocker, Varcoe"

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy

Last edited by Donny on Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:47 am; edited 2 times in total
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:04 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

From Pies2016:

"Sorry RB but I’m keeping the changes to a minimal for another couple weeks yet. A week ago the same side belted the Tigers and then we got beaten by the reigning premiers on the weekend.
What if we make those ( wholesale ) changes and then we get beaten by the Dogs. Do we bring the same three back in again ?
Let’s just let the dust settle for a week or two and then see how it all looks.
A lot of people seem to think that changing players solves most losses but sometimes it simply the same personal who need to play a little better."

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:07 pm

From Bucks2014:

"At least you explained the reasons for changes rude a lot don't. But I agree with pies2016 and stui magpie, let's back our guys in for another week.

I can't have Reidy in until he plays at least 3 VFL games without a hiccup. I just don't think Crocker is an AFL footballer, gets caught too much and doesn't seem to have any tricks other than good attack at the footy.

I think Roughead is doing a pretty good job to be honest, let's have a look at West Coast, they have Kennedy, Darling, Vardy and young Allen. Tom Hickey also like Vardy resting in the forward line. They are going to really test a lot of sides, that's without mentioning their smalls.

I'll back Roughy in against his old side and Coxy also to bounce back. Only possible chance to return is Varcs because I love the way he goes about it, needs to get more of it though. Unsure how he went yesterday.
"

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:09 pm

From stui magpie;

"No changes for mine, unless Greenwood out for Varcoe.

The Dogs have 2 tall forwards in Schache and Naughton, so Roughead stays. So does Cox.

There's nothing wrong with the personnel, West Coast are a bloody good team who strangled us in the middle stopping us getting the ball into forward 50.

We need to figure out how to counter that, not drop players.

Crocker and Reid need to show consistent good VFL form to be considered, not one game
"

K 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:25 pm

Dogs will be coming off a loss...

Update: true, but it ended up very close to a draw. Would a draw have been a better result for us?

(Port, of course, are the lucky, lucky team of R4.)
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:00 pm

I watched the last quarter of the Dogs Suns game. Actually bloody good game to watch.

The Dogs are quick. Both with leg speed and ball movement.

That Aaron Naughton kid has great hands, I'd play Moore or Howe on him with the other being the interceptor. As above, I wouldn't make any changes except maybe Greenwood out as he doesn't seem to have a natural target and bring in Varcoe instead.

The other boys in the VFL need to show a sustained body of good form. WHE is the only automatic inclusion for mine once fit.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:45 pm

IF we cant beat the doggies on our own turf, with us coming off a very disappointing loss to wet toast, we really are in trouble, I expect us to come out in this one breathing fire, and hopefully poleaxe em, we need to make a big statement and win well, and go 2-2.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:40 pm

I don't expect this to happen and not sure it should but what the hell.

Out:Aish, Greenwood
In:Quaynor, Appleby

We need to find some more speed within our d50 and coming out of our defensive area.

Maynard released from his defensive responsibility and given an opportunity to hunt and find his own ball further afield whether that be on a wing, high half forward or run with role. He's an updated version of Greenwood.

de Goey is to important up forward so his midfield minutes will be limited but him, Maynard and Sier are the ones capable of giving us the extra power around the middle of the ground required against opposition like West Coast.

Invigoration 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:42 am

I think Varcoe and Crocker will both come in. Greenwood and probably Thomas go out. Think Appleby is a chance to replace Aish as well.

Reid very close to replacing Cox too.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:21 am

Only change possible for mine is Varcs for Levi, but only if it is believed this would be best for match ups. Back our guys in.
eureka 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:35 am

out cox
in max lynch
eureka 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:34 pm

grundy improve your tap work or you will be dropped always tapping it to the opposition players not one sat night connected to a pies player
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:20 pm

This comes close to being a season defining game for us. We've had a tough 3 weeks against quality opposition and now we face a team who have been poor, but are starting to show glimpses of improvement this year. We need to start winning the ball more and using it more effectively (particularly at clearances); and when we don't, defend smarter and pressure the ball carrier. Our finishing can leave a lot to be desired at times and zaps confidence. Too many shank kicks on the run or by set shot. I also notice that we're handballing ourselves into a frenzy again and look for a handball as the first option. I want to see us try and open the game up more, split the centre and create options that way. We need to iron out our deficiencies and mistakes. We have a few too many passengers at the moment in the side who are not contributing enough. Players like Phillips, Stephenson and Thomas can all run and generate forward pressure but are somehow being nullified and denied opportunities.
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:21 pm

eureka wrote:
out cox
in max lynch

come on, lynch is nowhere near ready for senior football. still a work in progress.
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:26 pm

eureka wrote:
grundy improve your tap work or you will be dropped always tapping it to the opposition players not one sat night connected to a pies player

really??? not one....? iI don't believe that for a second. it's not uncommon for teams whose ruckman is largely ineffective to start roving to the opposing dominant ruck, but grundy is a-grade and pretty much doing it all himself with cox pinch hitting from time to time. his ruck work is fine, it's our midfielders that need to be in the right position to take the ball.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6   

Jump to: