Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Personal behaviour vs employment

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:30 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Morrigu wrote:
David wrote:
Plus the broader question of whether such terms should be allowed to exist in the first place.

Serious question David - is there a code of conduct included in your employment contract? Is there anything that you could post on social media - not something that identifies or targets colleagues or your actual workplace - that would allow your employer to terminate your contract?

For me and all my siblings and friends we all know that we are very limited in what we can say or post in the way of personal opinions on social media and that is due to the professions we work in and the codes of conduct that we are bound by - even outside work hours and not directly related to our work, workplace or colleagues.

Not saying I like it but it's the way it is now and if one wants to keep their registration and employment well......

I’ve actually scrutinised this very closely – particularly over the course of the most recent Enterprise Agreement process (which concluded a bit under a year ago) – and my conclusion is that, while they at least offer lip service to the distinction between personal and professional social media use, there is still a degree of ambiguity to the language that could in theory be exploited by the company. So it’s something I’ll be monitoring and, if need be, working with the union to address if they seek to extend their reach.

I’m not so bothered by the stuff about not criticising your employer or revealing confidential work information on social media channels, and of course I agree with policies against bullying or harassing work colleagues on Facebook, etc. What I’m primarily concerned about is basically what we’re seeing here in the Folau case: sanctions being placed on non-workplace-related posting, including forms of political, religious or artistic expression. I think we need a clear line in the sand on that, clearer than most workplaces currently offer.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:30 am

^keep in mind, for the average person, it's not just workplace expectations but what Fair Work Australia deems reasonable.

There's no point having a policy that says you will sack people for x, y and z if Fair Work aren't going to let it fly.

The fact that people have been sacked for stuff posted on social media and fair work have supported decisions is what creates the precedent of what is acceptable and what's not.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:51 pm

Here’s an Aussie case in point about a medical practitioner

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-24/doctor-suspended-for-calling-women-to-be-raped-on-chat-rooms/11044872

He should just be sacked he should be locked up! What a turd

K 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:23 pm

Wonder whether they considered his previous workplace misconduct when they gave him only 6 wks.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:42 pm

Started as an emergency registrar at Box Hill in Jan 2019.

I'm tipping if he's still employed there it won't be for long unless they've really changed,

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:31 pm

Back to the Folau cas

Quote:
Rugby Australia is facing a potential Polynesian player backlash after one of the Wallabies' most exciting prospects claimed all Pacific Islanders "might as well just be sacked" because of their religious beliefs.

In an explosive development days out from Israel Folau's attempt to save his multimillion-dollar career at an RA code of conduct hearing, Queensland Reds and Wallabies hooker Taniela Tupou took to Facebook to express his support for the under-fire superstar.

"Seriously Might as well sack me and all the other Pacific Islands rugby players around the world because we have the same Christian beliefs," Tupou posted late on Tuesday night.

"I will never apologise for my faith and what i believe in, religion had nothing to do with rugby anyways #TYJ"

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/rugby-union/might-as-well-sack-me-and-all-the-other-pacific-islands-rugby-players-folau-firestorm-takes-a-dramatic-twist-20190501-p51iuj.html

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:43 pm

K wrote:
Wonder whether they considered his previous workplace misconduct when they gave him only 6 wks.

The 6 weeks was from the regulating body, AHPRA. His employer has suspended him from work (on pay) while they do their own investigation.

Choose your poison

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/east/dr-christopher-kwan-chen-lee-suspended-from-work-at-box-hill-hospital/news-story/bed4dd0b708f3184613eeac447f482ae

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/apr/29/melbourne-doctor-christopher-kwan-chen-lee-who-called-for-women-to-be-raped-stood-down-during-investigation

The author of the Guardian article needs to work harder on getting terminology correct

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 8:54 pm

^ yep District???

Not the sharpest tool in the shed is he Rolling Eyes

“Lose job in Australia over stuff posted on a Singaporean forum?” Lee, who is from Malaysia but studied medicine in Melbourne, wrote, “Are you retarded?”

Wouldn't want him treating me - oh you have chest pain lets amputate your leg then!!!!
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 12:01 am

stui magpie wrote:
Back to the Folau cas

Quote:
Rugby Australia is facing a potential Polynesian player backlash after one of the Wallabies' most exciting prospects claimed all Pacific Islanders "might as well just be sacked" because of their religious beliefs.

In an explosive development days out from Israel Folau's attempt to save his multimillion-dollar career at an RA code of conduct hearing, Queensland Reds and Wallabies hooker Taniela Tupou took to Facebook to express his support for the under-fire superstar.

"Seriously Might as well sack me and all the other Pacific Islands rugby players around the world because we have the same Christian beliefs," Tupou posted late on Tuesday night.

"I will never apologise for my faith and what i believe in, religion had nothing to do with rugby anyways #TYJ"

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/rugby-union/might-as-well-sack-me-and-all-the-other-pacific-islands-rugby-players-folau-firestorm-takes-a-dramatic-twist-20190501-p51iuj.html

Good. Puts Rugby Australia in a very, very awkward spot, which is where they ought to be.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 3:09 am

Let's be honest.

It's Rugby Union.

Who gives a stuff anyway?

Rugby League has won the battle for the hearts and minds in the northern states while the AFL is more popular again across the whole of the country.

These two sports sucking talent away from RU is the prime reason we get embarrassed by the Kiwi's every bloody time now.

Good enough reason right there to let it die.

LOL.

K 

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 3:11 am

Rugby League expressed the same stance as RA. And it's not just about rugby, is it?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 10:01 pm

Luke Creasey, the labor candidate for Melbourne, under fire from both the Libs and the Greens for comments he made on facebook back in 2012 may not just have his chances of election in a touch of strife. apparently, he's a teacher at Coburg High school.

I'm getting in early posting about him in this thread

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 2:17 am

I think it’d be a disgrace if he got sacked for that, honestly.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 9:26 am

^

Mob mentality. What happens if enough parents at that school get over heated and start complaining to the department and the principal?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 11:30 am

Don’t want to be a broken record, but this is why we desperately need better labour laws in this area.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 5 of 21   

Jump to: