Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Personal behaviour vs employment

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:16 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

swoop42 wrote:
Free speech or religious expression however doesn't and shouldn't stop his employer from tearing up his player contract if he has breached its terms.

That's the question.

Last edited by K on Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:34 pm

Plus the broader question of whether such terms should be allowed to exist in the first place.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:38 pm

The previously quoted media lawyer, J. Quinn, expresses the opinion RA "should be" allowed to sack him, not that they legally are allowed to. He notes that it's much weaker for RA to have to rely on the wording of the code of conduct than if it had been put in his contract.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:10 pm

And now the great Gary Ablett junior has been booed because he ‘liked” the tweet or whatever it was! Not just by hawks fans, by GLong fans too! And out of ALL the fans at the game, booers and non booers, who does the news single out for a quote? Yep you guessed it, a Collingwood fan who was at the game, and Yes, he admits, he booed!

Thank God (or Gary Ablett senior, And some says he both!) he’s a white Christian!

And yes I know allll about the drug thing!

K 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:18 pm

A bit off topic, but the AFL-approved GAJ story is this:

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-04-23/gary-flies-an-american-rises-and-our-freak-photographer-goes-click
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:23 pm

^

freedom of speech doesn't equal freedom from consequences. Adam Goodes was booed pretty much every match after he called out a child for supposedly being racist.

People may not be more opinionated than they used to be but they have more platforms to express it than ever before

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:45 pm

No, it doesn’t mean freedom from all consequences. Despite the complexities of the Goodes affair and the undeniable racial element to the booing, we usually understand booing as a legitimate form of expression. But freedom of speech does mean freedom from certain consequences, namely experiencing serious loss of autonomy, safety and wellbeing (including, in my view, the right to work and participate in society). If you don’t believe me, go into the middle of Pyongyang and scream that Kim Jong Un is a psychopath, which anyone is absolutely free to do if they please – you’ll find that North Korea has full freedom of speech, but slightly less freedom from consequence.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:44 pm

K wrote:
A bit off topic, but the AFL-approved GAJ story is this:

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-04-23/gary-flies-an-american-rises-and-our-freak-photographer-goes-click

that is off topic! way off topic!

my point was out of the whole crowd they have to find just 1 Collingwood supporter who admitted he booed!

why is it always us!!

pss off topic too, i wish id taken those shots, unreal!!! but thats $20,000 glass too!!

K 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:54 pm

Yes, off topic. Wink You can tell it's $20,000?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:01 pm

K wrote:
Yes, off topic. Wink You can tell it's $20,000?

i salivate watching them shoot every week!!!
i was actually guessing, but im spot on!!!

https://www.tobydealsau.com/en_AU/product/canon-ef-600mm-f-4l-is-iii-usm-lens-2.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw7_rlBRBaEiwAc23rhj_Y1dPNCpLkLybOPGg_dRjWNnxn4A-hWwO0LoRZGPjf65pCdlruWBoC3h8QAvD_BwE

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:01 pm

bugger, now im getting the weird message and doubles!!
K 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:06 pm

I realize you were guessing the price, but how did you know it was a Canon EF 600mm?
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:24 pm

David wrote:
Plus the broader question of whether such terms should be allowed to exist in the first place.

Serious question David - is there a code of conduct included in your employment contract? Is there anything that you could post on social media - not something that identifies or targets colleagues or your actual workplace - that would allow your employer to terminate your contract?

For me and all my siblings and friends we all know that we are very limited in what we can say or post in the way of personal opinions on social media and that is due to the professions we work in and the codes of conduct that we are bound by - even outside work hours and not directly related to our work, workplace or colleagues.

Not saying I like it but it's the way it is now and if one wants to keep their registration and employment well......
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:30 pm

K wrote:
I realize you were guessing the price, but how did you know it was a Canon EF 600mm?

im guessing! ive taken a 300mm on a cropped frame to the footy, which is about a 380mm on a full frame, he has the top of the range, I only know cannon, so thats a 1DX. his zoom is way closer than mine, he may have a zoom, but im guessing a prime, he can get up very close, id estimate another 220 on me so thats a 600mm! i could be way off, but i have a 400mm ive taken to training, its not a prime lens but not bad, but if i cropped to his level, i wouldnt be happy with the pixel count!!

i have a crop sensor 7D MK2, i chose it for the 10 shots a second, only the 1DX can match it. but they start at $10,000. my best lens is the 70-200mm L, its prime glass, but only 1st generation & i got it 2nd hand, the latest generation is $3,000 plus. i guy lent me one at the air show, and TBH i really couldnt see the difference, it maybe focused a fraction faster. cheers

K 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:49 am

Morrigu wrote:
David wrote:

Serious question David - is there a code of conduct included in your employment contract? ...

For me and all my siblings and friends we all know that we are very limited in what we can say or post in the way of personal opinions on social media and that is due to the professions we work in and the codes of conduct that we are bound by - even outside work hours and not directly related to our work, workplace or colleagues.

Not saying I like it but it's the way it is now and if one wants to keep their registration and employment well......

Are you sure you aren't grossly overestimating the risk to your registration and employment? There are many complaints etc. made that are directly related to the work and workplace that don't lose people those things (when maybe they should), so it'd be a bit strange if unrelated stuff does.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 4 of 21   

Jump to: