Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Personal behaviour vs employment

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:33 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Leunig comes out swinging (oops, I posted this before seeing David posted it above):

Aiming to stir the possum, I got engulfed in free-floating hate

https://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/life-and-relationships/aiming-to-stir-the-possum-i-got-engulfed-in-free-floating-hate-20191030-p535rf.html

"Just as we are disturbed to hear tales that certain migratory birds are mysteriously losing their ability to navigate due to human environmental damage, so too might we feel concern if growing numbers of human mothers seem to be losing or devaluing this primary maternal preoccupation in favour of the banal hypnotic charms of a phone screen. Nature would seem to be in trouble when this starts to happen.

To make a conscientious cartoon based upon all of this concern and then be so hated, insulted, slandered in the public domain for this - as I was - is indeed a dismal fate for the lone cartoonist. It speaks volumes about the current condition of civil society and tolerance. This is bigotry. The malice has been astounding and so extreme that it has plunged me into a deep contemplation about the nature of angry hatred. Indeed, I am coming to the view that there is an emerging new form of hatred in society which might be more of a mental illness than a passing emotion. Perhaps I would call it “free-floating, obsessive compulsive hatred”.

I have noticed that people can react to a cartoon as if it is a piece of legislation, an essay, a legal document or a scientific paper - but obviously it is none of these things. A cartoon is a simple allegory, a fable or a parable. It is better understood poetically than literally. And it is also a Rorschach test, often revealing something about the character of the beholder in their expressed interpretations."
K 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:44 pm

Mary Leunig attacks her brother:

Leunig's sister says he likes 'feminist baiting'

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-25/artist-mary-leunig-responds-to-brothers-controversial-cartoon/11638932

https://www.abc.net.au/radio/melbourne/programs/mornings/leunigs-sister-says-he-likes-baiting-women/11638638 [audio]
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:47 am

Love how there's nearly always a sister or brother wheeled out in these culture war stories, as if family differences of opinion are somehow a proxy for debate over issues.

Quote:
Ms Leunig said she created the original cartoon after she had "a falling out" with her brother.

Stop the press!

K 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:32 am

Quote:
They began fighting and Mary stopped talking to certain members of her family, including her parents.

"We became estranged and it was pretty terrible and there was nothing that could be done about it," she says. "We still stayed there, and even though my parents lived just down the hill, there was no talking."

After her parents died she used art to help her express her feeling.

"You just get so used to not communicating with that person that it becomes permanent," she says.

Mary has had an off and on relationship with Michael. In an unfortunate turn of events, she's had less contact with her children, who are now in their 40s, in recent years. Arguments led both sides to stop talking.

"I thought OK, that's alright. But then I did a few drawings involving my kids and they really disliked me for it."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-27/cartoonist-mary-leunig-talks-politics-family-and-brother-michael/7880200
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:21 pm

David wrote:
Leunig offers a response here, in case anyone’s interested. I think he has a couple of good points, but is really doubling-down on the mystical mother/child stuff. I think it’s a good cautionary tale about the political problem of technophobia, and how it can so easily slide into ignorant, judgemental puritanism.

https://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/life-and-relationships/aiming-to-stir-the-possum-i-got-engulfed-in-free-floating-hate-20191030-p535rf.html

Yeah, I read that article a few days back. I found the mystical mother child bit as cringeworthy as the people calling him misogynist over the cartoon. Some of the responses were so vitriolic I reckon he struck a nerve.

The Tech addiction is becoming a problem, you see people all the time walking while staring at their phone, not watching where they're going, FFS I've seen people pushing strollers with the toddler engrossed in a screen device

roar 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:49 pm

Vitriol and hysteria over Leunig were (are) ridiculous. It's a cartoon that pointed out society's problem with tech/social media addiction, and it was spot on, IMO.
Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:51 pm

Watch young mums at cafes and the shops. They get visibly huffy and annoyed at their babies/children for taking their attention away from their phones.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:23 pm

Like Bill Leak, people don't like having a mirror held up to their own ugliness.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:34 pm

Wokko wrote:
Like Bill Leak, people don't like having a mirror held up to their own ugliness.

Good cartoonists should be able to hold up that mirror and also provide pointed comment, satire and just plain humour.

Problem is in these current days where people take offence over the wind changing, is that holding up the mirror gets an adverse reaction from people who can't accept what they see.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:36 pm

Not that I want to dismiss the criticisms of Leunig’s cartoon, many of which are valid, but has anyone noticed that a lot of pop feminist discourse these days seems to revolve around a kind of partisan defence of one’s own gender? Hence, we see people quickly rushing to the defence of mothers as a class – more than a few of whom (no names, but some might rhyme with Fementine Clord) seem quite happy to, in a different moment, blithely write stuff like “men are trash” on Twitter. (I’m no longer sure whether lines like that are supposed to be ironic or just an expression of genuine sentiment.) And of course we’re all aware by now of incel and MRA subcultures that have sprung up deriding women as a class and defending male identity. Men good, women bad, and vice versa: it’s like the 1970s-style narratives about the “battle of the sexes” came true!

This, ironically, has little to do with the feminism I was introduced to around ten years ago by my girlfriend of the time, who described the movement to me as about remedying structural inequality – a movement that had nothing to do with hating men and that would just as willingly fight for men’s issues when those topics arose. This was a similar sentiment, in some ways, to those flowcharts you’ve probably seen on social media, with a “yes” response to “do you believe in equal rights for men and women?” resulting in a “congratulations, you’re a feminist”. Of course, these things are never monolithic, and it’s a mistake to try to paint with overly broad brushstrokes; some feminists really do believe in that flowchart, while others, well, really do seem to believe that “men are trash” (and many would disagree with both). Many of the best thinkers in the world today are feminists, and genuinely committed to fighting for equality, and I passionately support many of those causes myself.

Still, anyone can cherrypick a school of thought and call it “real feminism”, but it doesn’t work that way. The zeitgeist seems to be much more identity-oriented at the moment, and if that’s the case then get ready for a lot more one-eyed barracking in the op-ed pages.

Last edited by David on Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:50 pm

You should follow Titania McGrath on twitter
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:37 pm

I had a look and ... The Soretoothsayer, is that you?!
K 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:20 am

'Hey Sunny, your father is cancelled'

https://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/life-and-relationships/hey-sunny-your-father-is-cancelled-20191105-p537j8.html

"I’m not here to defend my father’s cartoon – or work – or to tell people they don’t have a right to vent their anger at a drawing, but rather offer something of a different perspective...

An hour or so and many talkback callers later my aunty Mary, also a cartoonist, is interviewed by Virginia Trioli. Mary is not happy and personal family matters are discussed. Mary and Michael no longer talk. She has drawn a cartoon of herself killing him that is now being lauded and shared across social media. Mary explains, “Us Leunigs are a bit dopey, we just do things a bit with humour.” I agree and I feel she may have inadvertently just defended her brother.

On Facebook I see friends debating not only the cartoon but offer up their opinion on my father as a person. Some of them have never told me personally how much they detest him but are comfortable making it known online.

I think about growing up in a small country town and being perceived as having a “lefty” father. Yes, there was once a time, believe it or not, when he seemed to be adored by the left. But in later years he has had the ability to piss off both the left and right equally.

I return home and finally speak to my father. He has ignored media requests all day. He apologises if it has caused any drama. I tell him that I have a thick enough skin to not let it affect me. But when I go to bed I feel heavy, exhausted and admittedly a little vulnerable. I hope to hell tomorrow's cartoon is something whimsical that only involves teapots and ducks."

"
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:03 pm

Back to the main topic of this thread, here's a weird one!

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/nov/06/son-sacked-for-being-late-to-dinner-awarded-10000-in-unfair-dismissal-claim

Quote:
A Melbourne man who was sacked by his father from a family business because he was late to dinner has won an unfair dismissal claim at the Fair Work Commission.

The son had been working at his father’s car repair shop for two years, when the two had a “heated exchange” at a Sunday family dinner on 10 March this year.

After he arrived late, the man’s parents “became angry and there was an argument”, according to court documents first reported by the Australian. The son was “told to leave and never come back, either to his parents’ house or to the [family] business”.

On Friday, commissioner Sarah McKinnon found that there was “no evidence” the son’s performance at work was unsatisfactory. She found he had been dismissed unfairly and ordered the father’s business to pay him $10,115.

Sounds like the correct decision to me. Though perhaps also a reminder of why you probably shouldn't be able to employ your own children.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:30 pm

David wrote:
Back to the main topic of this thread, here's a weird one!

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/nov/06/son-sacked-for-being-late-to-dinner-awarded-10000-in-unfair-dismissal-claim

Quote:
A Melbourne man who was sacked by his father from a family business because he was late to dinner has won an unfair dismissal claim at the Fair Work Commission.

The son had been working at his father’s car repair shop for two years, when the two had a “heated exchange” at a Sunday family dinner on 10 March this year.

After he arrived late, the man’s parents “became angry and there was an argument”, according to court documents first reported by the Australian. The son was “told to leave and never come back, either to his parents’ house or to the [family] business”.

On Friday, commissioner Sarah McKinnon found that there was “no evidence” the son’s performance at work was unsatisfactory. She found he had been dismissed unfairly and ordered the father’s business to pay him $10,115.

Sounds like the correct decision to me. Though perhaps also a reminder of why you probably shouldn't be able to employ your own children.

really?

hes just got an advance on his inheritance! thats if hes still in the Will!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 19 of 21   

Jump to: