Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Personal behaviour vs employment

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:46 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
It (and the broader public service norms it affirms) is a total disgrace, and goes to show how little this country values free speech. We need a bill of rights now.

Be careful what you wish for. Newtons 3rd law has wider application than Physics, beware the unintended consequences.

K 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:26 pm

Intrigue and legal strategy on eve of Folau court case

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-union/izzy-gone-folau-s-instagram-twitter-pages-disappear-20190812-p52gao.html

"Rugby Australia is seeking to have their unlawful termination fight with Israel Folau moved to the Federal Court or interstate to Sydney.

The organisation was not immediately available for comment, but the development could be interpreted as a legal strategy to slow proceedings.

As the "little sister" to the Federal Court, the Federal Circuit Court has a track record of moving cases through quicker than its federally-based siblings and at a lower cost.
"
K 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:35 pm

Folau court date set

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-union/folau-court-date-set-potential-wallabies-world-cup-distraction-fears-allayed-20190813-p52gjt.html

"However, Federal Circuit Court Chief Judge Will Alstergren made it clear in court on Tuesday morning that the parties would be expected to attempt mediation by the middle of December.

Folau’s barrister, high profile employment law expert Stuart Wood QC, accused RA of trying to delay proceedings by applying to have the matter moved to the Federal Court or to the Federal Circuit Court’s Sydney base.

“There is no merit in the application and it will only lead to delay and increased costs,” Wood told the court, adding that his team were conscious there would be more attempts to delay proceedings.

“We want the court to know what is going on in the background.”

Judge Alstergren did not rule on the application but earlier noted that the Federal Circuit Court was the appropriate court for an employment law case and that Folau had a common law right to choose where his case should be heard.

The court has opened up an online file where select documents - such as any applications made in the case - will be deposited for public viewing."
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:43 pm

The Izzy Folau case takes a twist.

He and his brother have been selected to represnt Tonga in a Rugby League tournament. Only problem is, they've gone early thanking the international body for accepting their registration before enyone actually asked the international body.

Australia apparently has 2 seats on the 8 seat international board, I hope we just butt the phuck out. Rugby Aus may have sacked him but this is a different code and a different country, nothing to do with them. Any attempt by Aus officials to stop this is just bullshit.

Let the people offended by his comments fly to Tonga and protest and see how far it gets them

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-09-24/israel-folau-backed-by-wallabies-to-make-rugby-league-return/11543820

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:23 pm

I agree, Stui – the sooner Australia and its various sporting institutions put this embarrassing mess behind them, the better, IMO. I'd love to think that it's dawning on them that they've backed the wrong horse here by giving into manufactured public outrage, but I severely doubt that that's the case.
K 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:38 pm

Revealed: Cheika and Castle in heated clash at Tokyo embassy

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-union/revealed-cheika-and-castle-in-heated-clash-at-tokyo-embassy-20191023-p533jz.html

"Rugby Australia chief executive Raelene Castle was left visibly upset after a heated verbal stoush with Wallabies coach Michael Cheika at a cocktail function at the Australian embassy in Tokyo during the World Cup.

In an incident that was symptomatic of the degenerating relationship between two of Australia's highest-ranking rugby officials, multiple sources have told the Herald that former Wallaby Morgan Turinui was forced to intervene to stop Cheika and Castle tearing into each other in front of dozens of guests at the embassy in Tokyo's Azabu Juban district.

The Herald understands the argument was over Castle's insistence that the Wallabies follow through on their commitment to attend the September 25 function...

Cheika continued to push back, unwilling to send any players, a scenario that would have been a major embarrassment for RA.

In response, sources told the Herald Castle went above Cheika and asked director of rugby Scott Johnson to marshal some players."

[Cheika has already resigned after the worst Australian WC campaign in history. (Japan are now higher ranked in rugby than Australia Shocked .) Castle needs to resign or be fired.]
K 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:21 pm

thesoretoothsayer wrote:
Thanks. Looked up both. I do understand the point you are trying to get across.
The angel one seemed a bit twee. However, I saw it more as a comment on society rather than personal philosophy.
The baby one was quite confronting. I see that he's tried to contextualise it:
https://www.facebook.com/MichaelLeunigAppreciationPage/photos/this-is-a-highly-requested-cartoon-that-i-am-happy-to-post-however-please-note-t/275949669257926/

Another one like "thoughts of a baby in a child care centre":

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-24/leunigs-mummy-was-busy-cartoon-1/11634638

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-24/leunig-cartoon-criticising-mother-use-of-instagram-sparks-debate/11634522
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:10 am

I'm not highly motivated to defend Leunig, who's a full-on crank nowadays and has bad form on this topic. But I do find it interesting that this (preachy and didactic) cartoon is being purely looked at through the lens of sexism and judgement of mothers, when what he's really criticising – young parents becoming addicted to social media and not paying attention to their children – actually kind of is a real problem, no matter how annoying it is to see moralising baby boomers like Leunig wagging their fingers at us (and to be fair, he was doing this technophobic stuff with TV 40 years ago and everyone seemed to think it was great then).

Anyway, that ABC article suggests that another group of pious moralists are on the case, so that's good then. Hope they have fun fighting about it on Twitter and enjoy their 24-hour victory before moving on to the next storm in a teacup.

https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/389420699009320027/
https://consumer.fairfaxsyndication.com/archive/Leunig-cartoon-on-TV-2ITHRG0CU7H.html

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:19 am

When it comes to those shrill twittering mostly mothers; The lady doth protest too much, methinks.
K 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:18 am

Media report Raelene Castle is on $900,000 a year, and there are 140 of those admin types in RA with their snouts in the trough (the media's words, not mine).

No wonder the Wallabies are now ranked below Japan in rugby. RA needs a clean out.

And the ABC says this:

"A report in The Daily Telegraph newspaper has suggested that the well-publicised falling out between Castle and Michael Cheika — who stepped down as Wallabies coach a day after the loss to England in Oita — may affect RA's legal case against Folau."

Really?
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:11 am

Another example of an employer thinking it perfectly reasonable to be involved in your life outside of the workplace.
Pretty soon you'll be reporting your daily bowel movements to your manager - "a regular worker is a happy worker"
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-24/why-your-boss-needs-to-take-a-look-at-your-bedroom-habits/11628792
K 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:19 pm

Inside the relationship breakdown that cruelled the Wallabies

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-union/inside-the-relationship-breakdown-that-cruelled-the-wallabies-20191025-p5347d.html

"Fast forward 20 months, to Castle and Cheika arguing in front of dozens of guests at the Australian Embassy in Tokyo. A heated row, only stopped when another guest, former Wallaby Morgan Turinui, stepped in and told them ... to compose themselves.

Castle had to do something last year, when the numbers were grim. ...

She and the board ... had three choices. Sack Cheika and replace him with a world-class coach. Sack Cheika and replace him with an interim coach. Or stick with Cheika and bring forward the structural reforms slated for the post-2019 era.

On the first scenario, board and management sources inside Rugby Australia insisted at the time and now that there were no world-class coaches available at the end of last year. That bears scrutiny, given the cyclical nature of coaching movements built around Rugby World Cups.

The second scenario was always possible. ...

But the downsides in both those scenarios were twofold. First there was the cost factor. Cheika was on a base salary of $1.2 million a season. A figure commensurate with the coaches of other tier-one rugby nations, it was not a payout price officials thought was worth the risk.

But underlying it all was the unmistakable smell of fear. Fear of what a sacked Cheika might say, or do, if the board took the hard road and said enough was enough.

... Cheika wrote this week ... ‘‘It simply needs to be polished so it can sparkle from under-6s right through to the golden oldies, for those who love the game, by those that love the game.’’

By those who love the game. Cheika’s final dig at his chief executive and a board he believes isn’t close enough to rugby to understand the precious gem with which they’ve been entrusted.

Castle may yet prove to be a steady hand, but 18 months into her appointment she is yet to convince as a leader."
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:25 pm

Leunig offers a response here, in case anyone’s interested. I think he has a couple of good points, but is really doubling-down on the mystical mother/child stuff. I think it’s a good cautionary tale about the political problem of technophobia, and how it can so easily slide into ignorant, judgemental puritanism.

https://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/life-and-relationships/aiming-to-stir-the-possum-i-got-engulfed-in-free-floating-hate-20191030-p535rf.html

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:04 pm

Back on the topic of this thread, I feel like there’s a lesson in this story, but I can’t quite work out what it is...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/09/27/reporter-who-outed-racist-tweets-by-viral-fundraiser-leaves-des-moines-register-after-his-own-offensive-posts-surface/

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:10 pm

^ Don’t ever use Twitter and don’t ever publish anything online that you aren’t happy to be asked about under oath in court. There’s a useful rule.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 18 of 21   

Jump to: