Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Personal behaviour vs employment

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:02 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

^

Yeah, read that somewhere. Makes Izzy seem positively mild.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:04 am

pietillidie wrote:
Another work/personal beliefs case, this time involving a minister who also happens to be a detective:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/15/us/knoxville-pastor-grayson-fritts.html

I’d say that’s a clear case where one could say his extreme homophobic views make him unfit for his role as a police officer. Note the key differences here: Folau is talking about purely metaphysical issues (i.e. who does or doesn’t go to hell), whereas the preacher in this case is advocating real-world harm – harm that he is, disconcertingly enough, in a position to carry out in part.

Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:53 pm

And his strongly biased views is likely to affect his objectivity when investigating crimes which casts strong doubt on his arrests.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:24 pm

David wrote:
pietillidie wrote:
Another work/personal beliefs case, this time involving a minister who also happens to be a detective:

I’d say that’s a clear case where one could say his extreme homophobic views make him unfit for his role as a police officer. Note the key differences here: Folau is talking about purely metaphysical issues (i.e. who does or doesn’t go to hell), whereas the preacher in this case is advocating real-world harm – harm that he is, disconcertingly enough, in a position to carry out in part.

A position he won't be in for long if I understand what a "county buyout of his position" means

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:42 am

David wrote:
pietillidie wrote:

But there are no serious non-metaphysical positions that get you to the belief that gay people are worthy of death, so that's seems like a false dichotomy.

Also, given a large proportion of religious people see themselves as literal "servants of god", and do not hold to a dualism that separates their religious fantasies from their physical lives, I don't think you can safely hide behind metaphorical game play, either. Neither Folau nor Fritts are engaging in art or idle speculation; indeed, as ardent fundamentalists by definition they would find the very suggestion offensive.

I also can't see how the distinction you make between Folau and the more extreme Fritts can be derived from this:

David wrote:
...[freedom of speech] doesn’t mean freedom from all consequences. Despite the complexities of the Goodes affair and the undeniable racial element to the booing, we usually understand booing as a legitimate form of expression. But freedom of speech does mean freedom from certain consequences, namely experiencing serious loss of autonomy, safety and wellbeing (including, in my view, the right to work and participate in society). If you don’t believe me, go into the middle of Pyongyang and scream that Kim Jong Un is a psychopath, which anyone is absolutely free to do if they please – you’ll find that North Korea has full freedom of speech, but slightly less freedom from consequence.

Sure, Fritts is more aggressive and holds a position of authority, but that shouldn't matter if speech is separate to the consequences you list.

I think it's cleaner to put aside the Bunyip of "free speech" and start with the actual moral/legal concept at hand, whether that be some variant of the freedom/harm trade-off, or another formulation of the problem. From there, we can continuing doing what we already do in reality and determine how harmful certain speech is, and whether or not it can be curtailed without causing even greater harm. (It's always worth re-visiting the actual limits of speech: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_free_speech_exceptions).

The nightmarish Orwellian visions which people are primed to bring to the topic are given far too much weight in a conversation which consists of the actual lived nightmares of victims of hate speech. I don't think Folau has even begun to compute the magnitude of the harm his views are causing, although social media has clearly made bullying and mob violence more visible. However, people in a reasoned forum such as a court can readily be shown through testimony, experimental evidence and statistical outcomes that all kinds of harm can and do emanate from speech.

I don't know what the right balance is, but I most certainly believe that harm which emanates from speech needs to be acknowledged with clear eyes rather being waved away as vague collateral damage already factored into an equation handed down to us by the fathers.

The personal rights/corporate contract issue is a different problem, although I think the waters are more muddied than necessary because we haven't dealt with the above, leaving organisations to deal with the fallout. I am surprised that you think Fritts' role in policing is necessarily problematic given people regularly compartmentalise. He might be a creep who does a super job, even if the police can still argue that public trust is central to their mission and he is undermining that outcome.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:31 am

While it doesn’t affect my views on the case, I do suspect the harms of Folau’s post have been wildly overstated. Every single same-sex-attracted person in our society is fully aware that a substantial proportion of Christians (and Muslims, and Jews) think that the expression of their sexuality is sinful and, if not repented for, liable to result in divine punishment. Many will have heard this message in churches and mosques since before they even knew what the word homosexuality meant. So the idea that Folau’s meme is some kind of shattering of the bounds of accepted discourse is one I find fairly incredulous.

That, of course, raises the question of whether it should be. But I note that nobody, to my knowledge, has actually seriously suggested making such commentary illegal. That’s because speech-policing laws like 18c contain strict exemptions for public expression of religious belief. And because we all know that removing those exemptions would be a serious, and probably unacceptable, blow against religious freedoms. So why punish Folau – a self-designated evangelist – for doing something that others are not punished for? In contrast, it’s not hard to make a case that Fritts would be contravening hate speech laws and bringing his ability to carry out his professional role into question.

I get your point that the in-theory fundamental distinction between Folau’s "hate the sin, love the sinner" rhetoric and Fritts’ advocacy for civil persecution might not always be so affectively distinct in the minds of homophobes. But we still have to draw lines in the policing of hate speech, or else we risk repeating the worst mistakes of free speech advocates and opponents alike: conflating criticism with censorship, and condemnation of ideas or actions with vilification of people. That leaves us unable to approach these topics with any real nuance, and will lend itself to overreaction.

K 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:50 am

Revealed: Folau seeks $3 million from donors for fight against Rugby Australia

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/rugby-union/revealed-folau-seeks-3-million-from-donors-for-fight-against-rugby-australia-20190620-p51zm0.html
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:59 pm

^

And copping a serious backlash about it. Calling it "the fight of his life" hasn't compared well against the terminally ill and other genuine cases who want money for medical treatment.

A bloke who's earned millions over a 10 year sporting career seeking everyday people to donate money to him to pay for lawyers to sue Rugby Australia to get more millions (and potentially bankrupt Rugby Australia in the process) isn't getting a lot of sympathy for some reason.

I understand he does or used to tithe a lot of his earnings to the Church, so maybe just ask for some back?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:12 pm

Yep stui ask for it back!

What a shithead, I can’t believe people are putting money in, not a chance in hell even if I was on his side!!

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:47 pm

" fight of my life" Rolling Eyes What a flog!

Come to work with me for a week you greedy entitled muppet and see what a fight for your life really means Evil or Very Mad
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:49 pm

i just signed a petition to take the page down!

https://www.change.org/p/gofundme-get-israel-folau-s-gofundme-page-taken-down

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:30 am

This is politics now, apparently: a pantomime in which the only priority is that villains get their comeuppance, structural considerations be damned. I have no particular opinion on whether Folau should be able to crowdfund his legal fees, but this petition seems pretty puerile, and it would probably be a bad precedent if Gofundme acceded to the request.

I’ve been thinking of writing a piece on this, obviously in support of Folau. Won’t the reaction to that be edifying.

K 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:43 am

You'd reckon as long as folks are honest about what they're raising money for, and it isn't for something illegal, they should be allowed to do it.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:35 am

Well, yeah, pretty much. But I doubt many people signing that petition have a strong view on the ethics of crowdfunding or have even thought a great deal about such principles. All that matters is that Folau is a bad guy and Something Must Be Done.
KenH Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:49 am

The gofundme page for Israel has been closed down! All donations pledged will be returned.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 12 of 21   

Jump to: