Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What Religion do you follow?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What Religion do you follow?
Christianity
44%
 44%  [ 4 ]
Islam
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Buddhism
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Judaism
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Hinduism
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Sikhism
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Taoism
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Shinto
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Australian Aboriginal
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other
44%
 44%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 9

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:55 pm
Post subject: What Religion do you follow?Reply with quote

I thought we might as well get some demographics as well as finding out how religious people are. So, if you identified in the other poll as being religious, whether strong, weak or moderate, here is where you can identify which one.

There's too many religions to list them all so I've tried to hit the main ones. No differentiation is made between the different streams of Christianity, so whether you're Catholic or Protestant, you're a Christian. Same with the different streams of Islam.

I haven't put an option for None, as if you aren't religious, this poll isn't for you. I have included Other as a category as there are many smaller regional religions.

I have included Australian Aboriginal as a collective, although different nations have different dream time beliefs and different "gods" I can't think of a more appropriate collective title. If anyone knows one, I'll happily edit the poll.

Last edited by stui magpie on Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
KenH Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:51 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops my mistake!

Last edited by KenH on Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:23 pm

^

Then you needed to have read the original post before you voted. Wink

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:02 pm

OK, so we got 2 Christians and a Buddhist.

Anyone else?

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:15 pm

Just quietly, you may have fewer Buddhists than you think.
Pi Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:22 pm

If there had been onanism on the list it might have had a few adherents.

Smile

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:34 pm

stui magpie wrote:

I haven't put an option for None, as if you aren't religious, this poll isn't for you. I have included Other as a category as there are many smaller regional religions.

I'm'other' and I feel, to not include my "belief" is discriminatory

I'm Atheist, I think, out of all the options of;
A flood, where some dude, builds a big boat, saves a pair of each.... yeah, yeah, the 90 odd virgins, I almost had them first.
The four noble truths, Abraham 'n Sarah poppin' out kids like a snow machine, Brahman, that dude can NOT be bigger than the universe, or cosmos... or whatever... please. Nobody comes back, what happens at a funeral sort of seals that one for me and, scales falling off a Barramundi, just one, I just can't believe, turn into 3oo tonnes of diamonds.... I reckon, a really big volcanoe did.

I'm atheist, Atheism is, in the broadest sense, the absence of belief in the existence of deities.Less broadly, atheism is the rejection of belief that any deities exist. Basically , atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities.

Last edited by Skids on Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:51 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Just quietly, you may have fewer Buddhists than you think.

Laughing

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:53 pm

Skids wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

I'm'other' and I feel, to not include my "belief" is discriminatory

Awwww, boo fkn hoo. Razz Wink

Quote:

I'm Atheist, I think, out of all the options of;
A flood, where some dude, builds a big boat, saves a pair of each.... yeah, yeah, the 90 odd virgins, I almost had them first.
The four noble truths, Abraham 'n Sarah poppin' out kids like a snow machine, Brahman, that dude can NOT be bigger than the universe, or cosmos... or whatever... please. Nobody comes back, what happens at a funeral sort of seals that one for me and, scales falling off a Barramundi, just one, I just can't believe, turn into 3oo tonnes of diamonds.... I reckon, a really big volcanoe did.

I'm atheist, Atheism is, in the broadest sense, the absence of belief in the existence of deities.Less broadly, atheism is the rejection of belief that any deities exist. Basically , atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities.

Fair call, but Atheism isn't a religion, by definition. There's a metric shit tonne of religions and a limited number of poll options I'm allowed, so the 'Other' options was for those who followed one I couldn't fit in.

Like Jedi, Zoroastriansim or the church of the flying spaghetti monster. Wink

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:18 pm

Christianity - Greek Orthodox (Eastern Orthodox).
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:23 pm

I always suspected you were a supporter of the patriarchy, Jezza. Wink
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:46 pm

^ My cover's been blown Razz
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:50 pm

Something along this path, I'm still working on it...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_becomes_the_Universe

I'm also a believer in the Noble Lie, that even if you don't believe in the religion of your society it would be better to follow it anyway to create solidarity and unity with your fellow (wo)man. I think Western culture has suffered greatly from the loss of its traditions and religion and our descent into atheism and desperate clawing about in the dark for a substitute (Green/Environment/The State as religion) is a sad degeneration of a beautiful but dying tradition.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:14 pm

For me, the problem with the Noble Lie is that, even if we grant its premise (which is compelling in certain ways; one can certainly value the role of the church in the past as a centre for community, and see it as something that secular society hasn't even come close to adequately replacing), how can one reconcile following something that they don't actually believe without feeling like a hypocrite? And how will such a society treat those who are unable to do so, or who are brave (or naive) enough to point out that the emperor has no clothes?

Personally, I think there's a lot to be said for at least a pose of agnosticism (rather than a more combative atheism) in certain contexts, and that there is a need to support pluralism and religious freedom. But I wonder if, rather than ceding the capacity for community solidarity and unity to increasingly irrelevant religious faiths, secular society would do better to seriously look at appropriating the good aspects of religion and foster its own order, including things like rituals, meeting places, traditions and ceremonies. I think Daniel Dennett has talked about something like this in the past:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5tGpMcFF7U

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:28 pm

^

North Korea has apparently instituted criticism sessions which serve a quasi religious purpose.

Quote:
Greg Scarlatoiu, executive director at the Committee for Human Rights in North Korea (HRNK), told the ABC that self-criticism fills the void that institutionalised religion once did.

"North Korea was once the cradle of the Korean Presbyterian Church, but under [first dynastic leader] Kim Il-sung, it was intensely run out of the country," he said.

"Self-criticism is somehow similar to weekly confessions: It's about recitation and memorisation — not about interpretation or debate.

"Basically saenghwal chonghwa has become part of what is really a quasi-religious cult."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-31/welcome-to-north-koreas-self-criticism-classes/10936152

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: