Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Zoos

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

When was your last Zoo visit?
1 - 6 months ago.
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
The last 2 years.
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
3-5 years ago.
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
6-10 years ago.
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 5

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:48 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

luvdids wrote:
Skids wrote:
Maybe a read through their annual report, before an arrogant eye roll?

https://perthzoo.wa.gov.au/about-perth-zoo/annual-report

There ya go, corrected for accuracy Wink

Not sure what you corrected exactly?

Fascinating report, did you read it??

Total income $26,323,913.00. "A total of $242,000 raised previously was allocated to wildlife conservation projects in 2017-18" Wow. Didn't realised they were so generous.

I didn't read the whole thing, just went to the financials. I couldn't see that figure you quoted but my reading was that without the $10M provided by the state government, they'd be making an annual loss of around $9.4M. So their overall operating profit for the year was only $569,884. (page 62, 63)

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:13 pm

No worries. (Obviously not you Stui)....

You obviously Nitt picked it, as I knew you would Rolling Eyes

Here's some info you overlooked.... for just 1 financial year.

Released the 200th Numbat (Endangered) into the wild.
Treated 241 injured/sick Black Cockatoos. These are the white tailed variety, endemic to SW WA, and on the endangered species list.

Bred 53 Dibblers (endangered), 55 Western Swamp Tortoise (Critically Endangered) and 23 Numbats (Endangered) for the Zoo’s breed-for-release program for threatened native species.

Released 94 critically endangered White-bellied Frogs and 108 vulnerable Orange-bellied Frogs into the wild near Margaret River, in conjunction with Parks and Wildlife. All of the frogs were reared from wild collected eggs to maximise survival rate.

But hey, none of that matters when you're in the glass half empty brigade, does it?

You could maybe try and be a little encouraging... or a slight bit optimistic in your views? I never said it was a perfect world, and extremists like yourself, do nothing, for the greater good. Your blinkered outlook is very sad to be honest.

Last edited by Skids on Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:13 pm

Page 11 and 12 Stui

Obviously they need to make the elephants paint more or maybe paint better to get better sales prices Wink

And Un, Dos and ....... Tres!
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:20 pm

Morrigu wrote:
Page 11 and 12 Stui

Obviously they need to make the elephants paint more or maybe paint better to get better sales prices Wink

What a fkun smart arse!

Did you watch the video?

https://perthzoo.wa.gov.au/wild-art

Talk about tunnel vision. Would you rather there were; no zoos, no conservation, no attempts by, obviously, very passionate people to do this sort of stuff??!!

I feel sorry for people with an attitude like you... I really do.

But you're gunna change the world, aren't ya Rolling Eyes
luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:31 pm

Skids wrote:

Treated 241 injured/sick Black Cockatoos. These are the white tailed variety, endemic to SW WA, and on the endangered species list.

Bred 53 Dibblers (endangered), 55 Western Swamp Tortoise (Critically Endangered) and 23 Numbats (Endangered) for the Zoo’s breed-for-release program for threatened native species.

Released 94 critically endangered White-bellied Frogs and 108 vulnerable Orange-bellied Frogs into the wild near Margaret River, in conjunction with Parks and Wildlife. All of the frogs were reared from wild collected eggs to maximise survival rate.

But hey, none of that matters when you're in the glass half empty brigade, does it?

You could maybe try and be a little encouraging... or a slight bit optimistic in your views? I never said it was a perfect world, and extremists like yourself, do nothing, for the greater good. Your blinkered outlook is very sad to be honest.

Guess you didn't see my post on page 2, where I agreed some do good. You're the one that had to find and post the financials, like you think the Perth zoo is some kind of saviour of the animal world
I merely pointed out how little they actually spend, from the information you provided. If you don't want it looked at, don't post it. From what I could see, the breeding & releasing you mentioned is included in that tiny little figure. That's why I asked if you read it!

Don't appreciate being called an extremist, I'm far from it. I'm allowed to have am opinion different to yours without being insulted for it.

As for the "operating profit" Stui, depreciation is (at least when calculating serviceability for things) always added back onto the bottom line. Except for when calculating tax, which IMO, is why it's there. And why wouldn't you include the government money??
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:41 pm

It's a government owned "business". I was just pointing out that while the income looks nice, it's propped up by the government without which they would be making a loss.

Using income as a metric to judge an organisation isn't balanced, as you would know well. You have to consider expenses and look at the nett bottom line.

I'm not trying in any way to justify turning the animals into pseudo circus acts. My reading of this one Zoo is that they get more right than wrong, while acknowledging they do seem to be getting some things wrong.

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:10 pm

luvdids wrote:
Skids wrote:

Guess you didn't see my post on page 2, where I agreed some do good. You're the one that had to find and post the financials, like you think the Perth zoo is some kind of saviour of the animal world
I merely pointed out how little they actually spend, from the information you provided. If you don't want it looked at, don't post it. From what I could see, the breeding & releasing you mentioned is included in that tiny little figure. That's why I asked if you read it!

Don't appreciate being called an extremist, I'm far from it. I'm allowed to have am opinion different to yours without being insulted for it

As for the "operating profit" Stui, depreciation is (at least when calculating serviceability for things) always added back onto the bottom line. Except for when calculating tax, which IMO, is why it's there. And why wouldn't you include the government money??

And I don't appreciate being called a "bogan loser" (you page 1).. for having an opinion differen to yours, or having smart arse eye rolls on everything I post.
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:23 pm

Skids wrote:

What a fkun smart arse!

Did you watch the video?

https://perthzoo.wa.gov.au/wild-art

Talk about tunnel vision. Would you rather there were; no zoos, no conservation, no attempts by, obviously, very passionate people to do this sort of stuff??!!

I feel sorry for people with an attitude like you... I really do.

But you're gunna change the world, aren't ya Rolling Eyes

No of course I didn't watch some corporate propaganda that tries to justify making elephant painting legitimate and for profit no less - seriously are you really that niave or just well sorry but stupid? How can anyone think that this positively contributes to the elephants welfare - painting is not a natural elephant behaviour just quietly!

And I have zero respect for any" keeper" who would facilitate such activities or handling and encourage the petting of animals for photo opportunities again for the almighty dollar.

I have massive respect for and know plenty of passionate people who actually are doing " this sort of stuff" without exploiting captive born aminals for profit - you know people who actually have the interests and welfare of animals as their focus - not profit.

Try researching Damian Mander, Jill Robinson, Sean Willmore, Kathryn Connor for a start.

I feel pity for people who just swallow whatever PR is served up to them without any actual understanding of all of the issues.

As you said " what's the problem with hand feeding" - and then justified it by quoting how much money they make from it - yep sorry you have NFI!

The work some zoos do in preserving natural habbitats and returning native animals to those environments is to be commended - their exploitation of many more animals for the almighty dollar is disgusting.

Last edited by Morrigu on Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
ronrat 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:26 pm

It doesn't matter if the zoos , providing they are properly run, make a loss. If they are private zoos they go broke. They are largely an educative institution for schoolchildren and for veterinary staff.

As for the Irwins. As well meaning as people think they are they are in it to sell merchandise and bums on seats. A friend of mine was high up in Lions International and lives near Bundaberg. They were asked to assist a day out for special needs kids. So Charlie asked them what they wanted. They wanted to go to Australia Zoo. So Lions chartered a bus, provided lunch boxes etc, and liaised with the father of the late Steve Irwin. Yeah they would be happy to provide "discounted tickets" and Steve would greet them. When the kids were being taken off the bus Irwins to the left and right with the local TV station taking footage and Irwin does an interview. As soon as as the cameras stopped they buggered off, spoke to none of the kids as promised and the discount was in the form of a voucher for a discount in the souvenir shop.

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:33 pm

Skids wrote:
luvdids wrote:
Skids wrote:

Don't appreciate being called an extremist, I'm far from it. I'm allowed to have am opinion different to yours without being insulted for it

And I don't appreciate being called a "bogan loser" (you page 1).. for having an opinion differen to yours, or having smart arse eye rolls on everything I post.

OMG. Show me where I called you a bogan loser! I said “people that do are bogan losers”.... if you identify as one of them, that’s on you. Don’t get so defensive over something YOU posted not quite working out how you hoped & resorting to insults.
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:47 pm

What gets me is, I started this thread as a simple poll and reflection on how zoos have moved forward in... what I consider, a positive light.

I see them; saving endangered species, working with other conservation groups, educating people and trying to do the right thing.

The way I've been attacked by the extremists, you'd think I was a serial killer boasting about his first kill since being released.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:48 pm

Morrigu wrote:
Page 11 and 12 Stui

ta for that, I didn't read the preamble.

Question for you, and I'm not (trying to) be a smart arse.

Elephants are very intelligent animals. They're inquisitive.

Now ideally they'd be in an open plains area, but given that these ones are in a zoo with limited range and capacity for boredom, is teaching them how to do something like painting a really bad thing? I can visualise some of them taking to it quite easily, as long as they aren't forced in any way to do it, it could be a good distraction and selling the 'art' would be better than throwing it out?

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:50 pm

Watch the video in the link I added Stui.
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:17 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Morrigu wrote:
Page 11 and 12 Stui

ta for that, I didn't read the preamble.

Question for you, and I'm not (trying to) be a smart arse.

Elephants are very intelligent animals. They're inquisitive.

Now ideally they'd be in an open plains area, but given that these ones are in a zoo with limited range and capacity for boredom, is teaching them how to do something like painting a really bad thing? I can visualise some of them taking to it quite easily, as long as they aren't forced in any way to do it, it could be a good distraction and selling the 'art' would be better than throwing it out?

It's a reasonable question Stui - obviously it is not a natural behaviour and my feeling is always that it is exploitative. It is sold by zoos as " enrichment" but is it? This is a good study in a peer reviewed journal - have a look I'd be interested in what you think https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4103097/
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:30 pm

Why?
You didn't look at any link I posted.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6   

Jump to: