Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Zoos

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

When was your last Zoo visit?
1 - 6 months ago.
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
The last 2 years.
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
3-5 years ago.
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
6-10 years ago.
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 5

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:02 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a shitty place. They have kept a section of the old zoo at Perth Zoo, as an ugly reminder of the cages that animals were kept in there not so long ago. I remember it like that going as a kid on school excursion, not a pretty sight.

I believe there is a place for Zoo's if done 'correctly', here's Perth Zoo's website, you can click on the Interactive map for a good look and if you just google Perth Zoo, there's some great pics of how it's set out.

https://perthzoo.wa.gov.au/

Our award-winning research and breeding program for threatened Western Australian fauna has resulted in the wild release of more than 4,000 Zoo-bred animals.
For quarter-of-a-century, Perth Zoo has partnered with Parks and Wildlife to establish and run breeding programs to support the Species Recovery Plans for a range of native Western Australian fauna. We research the reproductive biology, growth and development of four key threatened species to assist with recovery and conservation efforts. Since 1992, more than 4,000 animals bred at Perth Zoo have been released into protected wild habitat to help secure a future for these species on the brink.

https://perthzoo.wa.gov.au/breeding

With your support, Perth Zoo works in partnership with local and global conservation partners to save wildlife.

Perth Zoo’s conservation funding program has invested more than $4 million into field-based conservation since 2007, delivering tangible, long term outcomes such as protecting and securing natural habitats, funding anti-poaching units, providing community education and employment, regional species breeding programs and releasing native animals into the wild.

Thanks to your support and donations, we are achieving a goal of safe, secure wildlife populations in their natural habitat.

https://perthzoo.wa.gov.au/saving-wildlife/conservation-action
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:08 pm

Skids Melbourne zoo is not great, I remember reading about the elephant walk and thinking how fabulous but it’s actually a humans walk, the elephants are in a shocking tiny enclosure and they look miserable. The giraffes now share with the zebras and it’s quite a large area, with trees and room to move, it used to be awful. Werribee free range is so much better, a bus takes you through safari style and the animals have plenty of room, even the ones in general enclosures have large spaces, the hippo area is fabulous. It does concern me that Melbourne weather is probably not appropriate to a lot of the animals.

That place in Perth is as you say, A Zoo done right. They do exist, and while not ideal, if we rely on places like Arica then we would surely l soon have a much longer list of extinct animals.

LD I generally don’t comment on places I haven’t been, however I find it strange that you smash Zoos but places like this are ok,places that also have wild animals on show but also allow you to hand feed some of them, I don’t know any zoo that allows that

http://www.jamalawildlifelodge.com.au/

None of these places are ideal, but some are far far better than others and that place in Perth is the best I visited in Australia

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:54 pm

Back off topic, skids pm me your details I’ll fix it then you can change your password! Cheers
luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:13 pm

think positive wrote:

LD I generally don’t comment on places I haven’t been, however I find it strange that you smash Zoos but places like this are ok,places that also have wild animals on show but also allow you to hand feed some of them, I don’t know any zoo that allows that

http://www.jamalawildlifelodge.com.au/

Never been there, never heard of it, don't know anything about it and have certainly never said it's ok. Please post the quote where I've said it is.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:15 pm

I must be mistaken, I thought you said you stayed there or some where similar earlier this year
luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:14 pm

Skids wrote:
That sounds like a shitty place. They have kept a section of the old zoo at Perth Zoo, as an ugly reminder of the cages that animals were kept in there not so long ago. I remember it like that going as a kid on school excursion, not a pretty sight.

I believe there is a place for Zoo's if done 'correctly', here's Perth Zoo's website, you can click on the Interactive map for a good look and if you just google Perth Zoo, there's some great pics of how it's set out.

https://perthzoo.wa.gov.au/

Our award-winning research and breeding program for threatened Western Australian fauna has resulted in the wild release of more than 4,000 Zoo-bred animals.
For quarter-of-a-century, Perth Zoo has partnered with Parks and Wildlife to establish and run breeding programs to support the Species Recovery Plans for a range of native Western Australian fauna. We research the reproductive biology, growth and development of four key threatened species to assist with recovery and conservation efforts. Since 1992, more than 4,000 animals bred at Perth Zoo have been released into protected wild habitat to help secure a future for these species on the brink.

https://perthzoo.wa.gov.au/breeding

With your support, Perth Zoo works in partnership with local and global conservation partners to save wildlife.

Perth Zoo’s conservation funding program has invested more than $4 million into field-based conservation since 2007, delivering tangible, long term outcomes such as protecting and securing natural habitats, funding anti-poaching units, providing community education and employment, regional species breeding programs and releasing native animals into the wild.

Thanks to your support and donations, we are achieving a goal of safe, secure wildlife populations in their natural habitat.

https://perthzoo.wa.gov.au/saving-wildlife/conservation-action

There are definitely places that use the money raised at their zoo to fund protection/rehabilitation etc. Which I guess if such places have to exist is ok. Protecting & securing natural habitats? Good. Using it for community employment? Nup, not good enough reason.

I wonder how many people who go to a zoo research to see what they're giving back? I'm glad people do, and then make informed choices. I bet the majority don't sadly.
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:45 pm

think positive wrote:
I find it strange that you smash Zoos but places like this are ok,places that also have wild animals on show but also allow you to hand feed some of them, I don’t know any zoo that allows that

Really - here's just a few

Werribee Zoo Giraffe Feed Encounter: Participants will help feed the Zoo's herd of giraffe

Melbourne Zoo Close-up Encounters Where you can get up-close and personal with some of the animals – like seals, meerkats, lemurs and giraffes who you hand feed. Their ”friendly staff will be on hand to help capture your Close-up moment. Please be sure to bring along your smart phone or point-and-shoot camera for our staff to operate”.

Taronga Zoo Sydney Penguin encounter: feed a fish to a penguin right from your hands during their daily feed. Giraffe encounter: feed the giraffes. Or pat a koala, meerkats or an Aldabra Giant Tortoise – with photo of course.

Adelaide Zoo Penguins in Person: Experience the thrill of hand feeding Adelaide Zoo’s own penguin colony. More hand feeding with the Yellow-footed Rock-wallaby Encounter and the Squirrel Monkey Encounter. Or Feed the lions lunch. And of course, have your photo taken as a souvenir of the experience.

Perth Zoo Giraffe eye to eye- and if they’re in the mood for a snack – you might even have the opportunity to feed them one of their favourite, leafy treats. Penguin eye to eye - when you help a zoo keeper to feed this boisterous rabble of penguins. Rhinoceros eye to eye - don’t worry, you’ll be armed with a bucket of their favourite treats to thank them for their hospitality!

Australia Zoo Brisbane Cheeky Cheetah Encounter - Our keepers will let you hangout and get hands on with one of our regal cheetahs, while a photographer snaps away. Tiger walk - Enjoy these awesome animals up close! Take a walk with one of our drop-dead gorgeous tigers as one of our professional photographers captures this special, once in a lifetime moment. Giant Giraffe snapshot - feed the giraffes and of course photo. And many many more!

Tasmania Zoo Launceston Animal encounters and souvenir photos provide you and your family with the opportunity to get up close and personal with some of our zoo animals. Meerkats; Ring-tailed Lemurs , Tasmanian Devil, Wombat, Pygmy marmosets, Koala, Snake , Marmosets, Freshwater Crocodile, Capybaras.

It's especially fabulous that they encourage interaction, handling including patting for photos - such a great message! Rolling Eyes
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:18 pm

gees i honestly had no idea, thats terrible, thanks for pointing it out.
Australia zoo especially with the tigers, so i guess they dope them. cant believe they get away with it

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:20 pm

^ Yes it is - and these "encounters" cost extra- so what message does that send - if you are prepared to pay you can cuddle or pat an animal for a photo and "experience" Evil or Very Mad. A rhino does stand still and meekly accept food from humans and a tiger does not willingly go for a walk with humans - this is not in the animals best interests at all even remotely - it's purely for profit and IMHO it undoes any education they may provide - totally and utterly the wrong message!!

Australia zoo are a disgrace - how my TV has survived those Irwin creatures appearing on it even briefly ( as the channel is changed very quickly) I don't know! Evil or Very Mad
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:33 pm

Morrigu wrote:
^ Yes it is - and these "encounters" cost extra- so what message does that send - if you are prepared to pay you can cuddle or pat an animal for a photo and "experience" Evil or Very Mad. A rhino does stand still and meekly accept food from humans and a tiger does not willingly go for a walk with humans - this is not in the animals best interests at all even remotely - it's purely for profit and IMHO it undoes any education they may provide - totally and utterly the wrong message!!

Australia zoo are a disgrace - how my TV has survived those Irwin creatures appearing on it even briefly ( as the channel is changed very quickly) I don't know! Evil or Very Mad

its a terrible message, no better than those awful places in Bali, i truly had no idea.

i need to make an effort to read the fine print, cheers

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:38 pm

Hang on.... what's the issue with hand feeding selected animals?

And let's just elaborate a little on your Perth Zoo quote shall we...

https://perthzoo.wa.gov.au/close-encounters

If you want to really appreciate how a giraffe experiences the world, you have to get up high. Really high!

Head behind-the-scenes with a guide and climb the impressive Savannah Outlook tower to get face-to-face with the Zoo’s tallest residents, the giraffe.

See the Zoo from a whole new angle, learn a bit about these long-limbed creatures as they wander over to say hello and – if they’re in the mood for a snack – you might even have the opportunity to feed them one of their favourite, leafy treats.

This happens daily @ 1100hrs, max group size is 10 at a cost of $10 p.p and goes for 10 minutes .. there's another session straight after, same deal.

It’s not until you’re standing face-to-face with a Southern White Rhinoceros that you realise what a contradiction they are.

Two tonne of leathery, horned, imposing muscle wrapped around one of the gentlest natures you could find in the animal kingdom.

Head behind-the-scenes with a zoo keeper and tour the rhinoceros’ night-quarters to see where these gorgeous behemoths spend their evenings and learn all about their individual personalities and behaviours. Memphis and Bakari both love to come and say hello – don’t worry, you’ll be armed with a bucket of their favourite treats to thank them for their hospitality!

This is available 2 days a week @ 1400hr's, max group size is 6 at a cost of $40p.p. and goes for 20 minutes.

Perth Zoo also has;
An Elephant encounter - 1 person, once a week @ $250
A Dingo encounter - 2 people, twice a week @ $70 each
An Orangutan encounter - 6 people once a week @ $60 each
A lemur encounter - 2 people once a week @ $100 each
A "Be a keeper" (primates) encounter - 1 person once a week @ $880
A "Be a keeper" (savanah) encounter - 1 person once a week @ $880
A Best of Australia encounter - 6 people twice a week @ $120
A tortoise eye to eye - 4 people twice a week @ $25
Penguin encounter - 4 people twice a week @ $35
Lion encounter - 6 people twice a week @ $50
Scaly mates (snakes etc) encounter - 12 people 3 times a week @ $10
Bush buddies encounter - 12 people 3 times a week @ $10

These sessions last from 10 - 20 minutes and, if fully booked, raise over $8000/wk extra to help meet the zoos objectives.

I'd suggest that having the animals partake in these activities would be more beneficial to their lives in captivity than not.

Last edited by Skids on Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:42 pm

As I previously said NFI Rolling Eyes
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:45 pm

Morrigu wrote:
As I previously said NFI Rolling Eyes

So there shouldn't be any zoos?
Is that your solution?

https://theconversation.com/a-ban-on-captive-animals-could-speed-up-extinction-93781

Last edited by Skids on Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:47 pm

^

Yeah, none of it sounds good.

If I want to see Roos I just go for a walk in the reserve nearby. I haven't been to a zoo for ages. I've been to Hartley's Creek but I doubt if anyone has concerns for salt water crocs. The guide explained to us that there were no lifejackets in the boat because if the boat went down in a lagoon with over 200 salties in it, staying afloat was the least of your problems.

The Wildlife Habitat in Port Douglas isn't bad, been there a couple of times, the only animals in pens are reptiles, the wallaby's roam free and yes they can be fed and patted but clearly aren't drugged, just tame but they chose whether they like you enough to be patted or not.

I think there is a place for Zoo's, it just depends how they operate. Something that may need more scrutiny going forward.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:50 pm

think positive wrote:
its a terrible message, no better than those awful places in Bali, i truly had no idea.

i need to make an effort to read the fine print, cheers

I am pleased to hear that - I know we have had our differences but I found it difficult to believe that you could support this - so cheers to you too!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6   

Jump to: