Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre Match. Pies v. Bulldogs. All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:43 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

We clearly have a problem with our midfielders poor clearance rate from the centre. This was a problem all last year, and, despite the addition of Beams, it remains our biggest weakness.

The improvement has to come from our current mids, as there is nothing in the ressies capable of improving this area of our game.......unless of course, Sier gets fit enough to play senior footy again.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:15 pm

Pies2016 wrote:

Why the automatic assumption that the mids weren’t in the right position.
I would assume it’s easier to be positioned in the right spot than it is for a ruckman to jump against an opponent and then have him deftly tap a moving ball to a pre planned spot. Grundy for all his brilliance, has never been overly competent at tapping to advantage, so why would that have changed overnight.
As I said earlier, centre clearance work is a combined effort by both the mids and the ruckman. If one area falls short, it makes it very difficult for the other area to function effectively anyway.

I agree with this Pies 2016. I think it's a mid plus a ruckman issue. Plus, it's also a good point you make about Greenwood going in at centre bounces solely as a tagger. It's a waste of a player in the middle.

Also, it could be that Grundy hasn't hit his best form as yet. Not criticizing him at all as he's such a wonderful, lion-hearted player, but he doesn't seem to be elevating/jumping to the heights he did last year and therefore, winning fewer decisive hit-outs. He did lose quite a bit of the pre-season with that toe issue and maybe it's still bothering him a little.

I've already talked about the possible ways that Mason's reach could be used to advantage, so won't go on about that again. Wink
melliot 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:40 pm

Gotta say JT has not hit his 2018 levels by any stretch. He will be on thin ice, me thinks.

Greenwood needs a run with role. McRae? Otherwise bring in Varcoe.
eureka 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:00 am

its not just centre clearances but in stoppages around the ground and throw ins too just not getting first access to the ball and the ball is flung the other way to many times.

Ball ups are terrible and throw ins well pies are getting smashed
eureka 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:04 am

a lose v bulldogs and there are serious troubles at pie land
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:22 pm

While we rightfully bemoaned our lack of key defensive options last season I guess the one positive was that our undersized defence were a bit more light on their feet and what we lost in the air we made up for at ground level.

Fast forward to the present and with the additions of Moore and in particular Roughead joining Howe, Langdon and Aish we look a little one paced offensively and vulnerable to quick small forwards defensively.

While I'm confident we could play with the same 22 this week and defeat the Bulldogs to me at some stage we need to start exploring the best mix to beat the best side in the competition in West Coast.

They have already added the promising Allen and lightning quick Petruccelle to their Premiership team and still have the injured Rioli on the sidelines as an option to partner with Ryan.

That spells trouble to me and it's why I like the idea of injecting young Appleby and Quaynor into our defensive mix sooner rather than later and releasing Maynard to see what he can offer further afield.

To beat West Coast we'll need to find more hardness at the stoppages, speed across the ground and spread from the contest.

I believe the above 3 can all contribute to that.

eureka 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:29 pm

another observation is that the pies play a very predicable kind of game style and it isn't particularly exciting. Apart from de goey Elliot stevo that's all it goes as in flashy players go. I notice the pies struggle to win the close games too. When they win its by quite a margin but struggle to win by say a goal or 2.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:02 pm

swoop42 wrote:
While we rightfully bemoaned our lack of key defensive options last season I guess the one positive was that our undersized defence were a bit more light on their feet and what we lost in the air we made up for at ground level.

Fast forward to the present and with the additions of Moore and in particular Roughead joining Howe, Langdon and Aish we look a little one paced offensively and vulnerable to quick small forwards defensively.

While I'm confident we could play with the same 22 this week and defeat the Bulldogs to me at some stage we need to start exploring the best mix to beat the best side in the competition in West Coast.

They have already added the promising Allen and lightning quick Petruccelle to their Premiership team and still have the injured Rioli on the sidelines as an option to partner with Ryan.

That spells trouble to me and it's why I like the idea of injecting young Appleby and Quaynor into our defensive mix sooner rather than later and releasing Maynard to see what he can offer further afield.

To beat West Coast we'll need to find more hardness at the stoppages, speed across the ground and spread from the contest.

I believe the above 3 can all contribute to that.

I tend to agree and I notice Cripps seems to get the better of Crisp in recent times and we lose a lot of run out of the backline as a consequence.
Roughead is a solid addition to our list for versatility but he’s not necessarily a good “ modern “ key defender. He’s slow and poor below his knees.
I’m a bit of an Appleby fan ( for a rookie ) His strengths are winning one on ones but he hasnt to date, provided much coming out of the backline.
Obviously the club will know best when to pull the trigger on Quaynor. Right now, I still have him as third behind Appleby and Aish but he clearly has the most upside.
As always, your team defence is really dependent upon what’s happening up the ground. It’s funny how when we are dominating midfield possession, our back six always look pretty solid.
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:06 pm

swoop42 wrote:
we need to start exploring the best mix to beat the best side in the competition in West Coast.

Huh? You don't think that the coaches and senior players have not been exploring this for years? Really?

Buckley was on SEN again early this morning, this time with Gary Lyon and Tim Watson.

Said that after the game he went home and before going to sleep he reviewed the 2nd Qtr because that was the “most influential”. As he said on air yesterday “we learnt a little bit” about how to beat the Eagles. “It’s an evolution”.

(I said pre-game this would be the case. Beating WC is a work in progress just as Richmond was last year. And like Richmond in 2018, in all probability we will only have to beat WC once this year to get to the flag, so it’s important to learn how to do it conclusively (think 2018 Prelim) between now and then. Punters wanting instant gratification of a WC scalp are going to have to wait. In fact, I believe there could be no greater damage to the club than have had lady luck gift us a win at the weekend. Would have killed any quest by the players to deeply explore the vulnerabilities of WC and how to exploit them.)

Buckley also talks about Sier and his unavailability in the seniors due to injury niggles.

Podcast: https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=357874
(skip the first 2:25 which is just promo and waffle)
melliot 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:59 pm

A loss we had to have?
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:15 pm

All great comments here about West Coast side. I can't see how to beat them if they play their best 22 against us, because to me they haven't any weaknesses to exploit. To me they are a better team than the 2017 Richmond side. I think Swoop is on the money though about improving our side with a bit more pace off the backline. Pity we lost Murray. Another big bodied mid would also be useful. And Cox has to take his chances when he gets them because forwards these days might only get 5-6 scoring chances in a game. Of the players playing VFL we need to look at players like Appleby, Wills, Daicos, Callum Brown, Reid, Sier and Quaynor to find improvement. WHE will improve the side when he gets back from injury.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:20 pm

I agree WC are better than 2017 Rich... but you know what I think about 2017 Rich. Wink (WC showed it by winning a cheap flag with injury problems e.g. NicNat. Rich won a cheap flag with zero injury problems.)
eureka 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:32 am

I feel this game will be close
eureka 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:32 am

I feel this game will be close
eureka 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:48 am

Bring Sier in
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6   

Jump to: