Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre Match. Pies v. Bulldogs. All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:51 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

WarrenerraW wrote:
This comes close to being a season defining game for us. We've had a tough 3 weeks against quality opposition and now we face a team who have been poor, but are starting to show glimpses of improvement this year. We need to start winning the ball more and using it more effectively (particularly at clearances); and when we don't, defend smarter and pressure the ball carrier. Our finishing can leave a lot to be desired at times and zaps confidence. Too many shank kicks on the run or by set shot. I also notice that we're handballing ourselves into a frenzy again and look for a handball as the first option. I want to see us try and open the game up more, split the centre and create options that way. We need to iron out our deficiencies and mistakes. We have a few too many passengers at the moment in the side who are not contributing enough. Players like Phillips, Stephenson and Thomas can all run and generate forward pressure but are somehow being nullified and denied opportunities.

I agree. We must win this game.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:52 pm

eureka wrote:
grundy improve your tap work or you will be dropped always tapping it to the opposition players not one sat night connected to a pies player
You are joking?
derkd 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:01 pm

I am assuming he is kidding, drop Grundy on the back of 1 poor game where West Coast read his tap work better then out midfield did.

Anyway, strange as this may sound I would make 1 change:

Out: Greenwood (probably not needed. Unless we tag Bont, but he is almost un-tagable).

In: Varcoe (he craftyness was missed)

We had a hard start to the year, all three of those games were 50/50 before the start of the year.

I think if we are to count ourselves "legitimate" contenders these are the sort of games we simply have to win. Make no mistakes the dogs are good, but not in the league of the "West Coast's and Geelong's". So we simply have to put them away.

Midfield has to lift, it is the one part of the team that has overall been fairly poor given the talent on hand.

Back in this near best 22 to get the result. All things considered I no longer accept injuries as an excuse, we are missing very few.

Anyway let's see.

Last edited by derkd on Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:04 pm

WarrenerraW wrote:
eureka wrote:
out cox
in max lynch

come on, lynch is nowhere near ready for senior football. still a work in progress.

Magpietothemax wrote:
eureka wrote:
grundy improve your tap work or you will be dropped always tapping it to the opposition players not one sat night connected to a pies player
You are joking?

guys did you read the ridiculous new threads by this poster after the loss? He either has no idea or is trolling. please lets not get sucked in by these silly posts.

burnsy17 Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:08 pm

Grundy did have issues with his ruckwork on sat night. That was obvious to many of us at the ground. There was a serious disconnect with the midfield and he was either tapping to the wrong spots, or the mids weren’t in the correct spots..... either way, there was an issue.

They need to get it sorted ASAP because it’s one of our biggest weapons.

K 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:13 pm

Tay cleared:

"... there was some good news for Collingwood midfielder Taylor Adams, who walked away without a penalty for his late bump on West Coast gun Luke Shuey.
Adams caught Shuey just after the Eagle disposed of the footy, though the incident was not deemed a reportable offence by Christian."
(afl.com.au)

Dusty got 2 wks.
doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:21 pm

Michael Christian trying to redeem himself after his shocking report of Cox last week?^
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:39 pm

burnsy17 wrote:
Grundy did have issues with his ruckwork on sat night. That was obvious to many of us at the ground. There was a serious disconnect with the midfield and he was either tapping to the wrong spots, or the mids weren’t in the correct spots..... either way, there was an issue.

i agree, but you dont drop him for that. im just objecting to the onslaught of ridiculous posts when we all seem to be getting along quite well.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:40 pm

burnsy17 wrote:

Well I’m just pleased to see that one poster ( I’m aware of ) has at least highlighted that Grundy might have been at fault with his tap work. Most on here have been far to quick to blame the mids, without even considering Grundy could be part of the problem.
Obviously I don’t know what went wrong but there are two parts to clearance work and we all shouldn’t just assume it’s the mids.
I’m not knocking Grundy, he’s a superstar but I am suggesting we need to look at the issues from all angles.

One of my beefs from Sat night is when coaches place a tag on an opposition midfielder starting inside the square. Greenwood started on Shuey in the square and it’s immediately one player less who doesn’t have the ball as the sole focus. Greenwood is also nowhere near one of our best clearance players, so why start him in there. If you’re going to tag with Greenwood, then have him come off the wing and then pick him up. Then you just use one of your best three clearance players to either make Shuey accountable or stand beside him at the centre bounces.
burnsy17 Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:44 pm

think positive wrote:
burnsy17 wrote:

i agree, but you dont drop him for that. im just objecting to the onslaught of ridiculous posts when we all seem to be getting along quite well.

clearly he shouldnt be dropped. Just needs to work with the mids and get it sorted quickly.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:45 pm

Don’t see change for the sake of it and VFL scraped a win with Trav not even playing in that game

Reid played a good game tho second half was quieter

Crocker and Appleby were prominent

Max Lynch kicked a long goal and had 50 hit outs —a work in progress at present

K 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:36 pm

burnsy17 wrote:
think positive wrote:
burnsy17 wrote:

clearly he shouldnt be dropped. Just needs to work with the mids and get it sorted quickly.

But this has been a problem for a long time (so they must have been working on it for a long time, so maybe it's not so easy to fix).
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:48 pm

K wrote:
burnsy17 wrote:
think positive wrote:
burnsy17 wrote:

But this has been a problem for a long time (so they must have been working on it for a long time, so maybe it's not so easy to fix).

Nothing that a couple of decent midfielders who can read the play and help out Pendlebury and Sidebottom couldn't fix. Ask yourself, if West Coast can read his hitouts and get telling clearances, what's wrong with our guys that they can't? It can't be that it's like the Get Smart cone of silence, so that everyone except Collingwood players can get the ball, surely?
K 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:54 pm

Where were the WC mids positioning themselves at centre bounces? I have to watch it again (the horror) to see.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:36 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
K wrote:
burnsy17 wrote:
think positive wrote:
burnsy17 wrote:

Nothing that a couple of decent midfielders who can read the play and help out Pendlebury and Sidebottom couldn't fix. Ask yourself, if West Coast can read his hitouts and get telling clearances, what's wrong with our guys that they can't? It can't be that it's like the Get Smart cone of silence, so that everyone except Collingwood players can get the ball, surely?

Why the automatic assumption that the mids weren’t in the right position.
I would assume it’s easier to be positioned in the right spot than it is for a ruckman to jump against an opponent and then have him deftly tap a moving ball to a pre planned spot. Grundy for all his brilliance, has never been overly competent at tapping to advantage, so why would that have changed overnight.
As I said earlier, centre clearance work is a combined effort by both the mids and the ruckman. If one area falls short, it makes it very difficult for the other area to function effectively anyway.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6   

Jump to: