Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies down to Eagles. All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:15 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

No. The coaches rated West Coast midfielders as the four best players on the field:

9 Andrew Gaff (WCE)
8 Jamie Cripps (WCE)
7 Luke Shuey (WCE)
4 Dom Sheed (WCE)
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:15 pm

THE AFL has ticked off the controversial free kick paid against Collingwood wingman Tom Phillips for contact below the knees against West Coast forward Jamie Cripps on Saturday night.

"We see the Collingwood player elect to go to ground, and what the umpire then has to make a decision on is to whether or not he's responsible for forceful contact made to the opposition player," Kennedy said.

"Our belief in this one is that he's responsible."

R.I.P. AFL football. What we have today is a shell of its former glorious self. A f**inf mess of a sport. What a predictably embarrassing response.

K 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:22 pm

^ Don't worry. The AFL's ridiculous self-justification is good enough for David. Wink
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:59 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:
THE AFL has ticked off the controversial free kick paid against Collingwood wingman Tom Phillips for contact below the knees against West Coast forward Jamie Cripps on Saturday night.

"We see the Collingwood player elect to go to ground, and what the umpire then has to make a decision on is to whether or not he's responsible for forceful contact made to the opposition player," Kennedy said.

"Our belief in this one is that he's responsible."

R.I.P. AFL football. What we have today is a shell of its former glorious self. A f**inf mess of a sport. What a predictably embarrassing response.

Not surprised, but what a joke. They went nuts about it on Talking Footy tonight (and made it clear they're not normally allowed to discuss umpiring decisions, hmm I wonder why). Absolutely farcical. They want the contact taken out of a contact sport. I guarantee you the umps were under instructions to do what they did, it was no coincidence Hocking was at the game watching closely. It's absolutely disgraceful they experiment and f*** around like that when the boys on both teams are busting their guts to win 4 points. It's insulting and offensive, and the sooner certain people at AFL HQ **** off, the better. We need more than a Talking Footy panel getting angry about it. We need more than Bucks getting angry about it in the presser. We need a unified response from all coaches and presidents, or as many of them that have the balls to do so. For the greater good of the game, it needs to be done.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:21 pm

^ This is interesting Mr Miyagi, because the four commentators "On the Couch" said it was the correct decision, in that Phillips should not have gone to ground when trying to win the ball. The Eagles player was still on his feet and was apparently trying to avoid injury by doing the flip over the back of Phillips.

I don't often agree with Roos, but he highlighted that the umpiring mistake was awarding the fifty. He said that the umpire should've shown some common sense and understood that our players were not deliberately trying to hold up play.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:27 pm

On The Couch is AFL-sanctioned TV, they know who pays for their lunches. And Roos always sides with everyone but us. Talking Footy panel talked about it because they knew there was no way they could keep Carey quiet about it.

As Tim Watson said tonight, things will happen in our game. We can never, ever eradicate them unless we umpire the game to the point we're getting to now. A sanitised, non-contact sport that is not AFL.

Last edited by Mr Miyagi on Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
K 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:34 pm

These people who get jobs at AFL HQ, like Gillon & S. Hocking... It's like they won the lottery. It's not that they necessarily all do their stuff terribly, but you can't really work out why they got the job in the first place and not one of a hundred other people. It just feels so unprofessional.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:41 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:

As Tim Watson said tonight, things will happen in our game. We can never, ever eradicate them unless we umpire the game to the point we're getting to now. A sanitised, non-contact sport that is not AFL.

Yep, such as discouraging players from going to ground in an effort to grab the ball, which is totally contrary to the way the game has always and forever been played.

Or as Bucks apparently said on SEN today, a choice needs to be taken between protecting the head or protecting the legs, but you can't have both.
Well, I guess you could have both, if we wanted the game to look more like soccer!!!
What a mess this rule is!!!
K 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:46 pm

Here is Hayden Kennedy:

https://www.afl.com.au/video/2019-04-08/contact-below-the-knees-right-or-wrong-call

They say Billings should not have been penalised for dropping the mark and having Cerra go over the top of him.

Distinction between contact below the knees and sliding.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:03 pm

K wrote:
Here is Hayden Kennedy:

https://www.afl.com.au/video/2019-04-08/contact-below-the-knees-right-or-wrong-call

They say Billings should not have been penalised for dropping the mark and having Cerra go over the top of him.

Distinction between contact below the knees and sliding.

Thanks K.

Hmmm..... so it came down to Phillips electing to go to ground in his desperation for the ball, even though he didn't actually slide into the Eagles player. He broke the "contact below the knees" rule rather than the "sliding" rule. I didn't even realize they were two separate rules!! Embarassed

It's sad though isn't it. As a coach then, you'd be tempted to instruct your players to go after the loose ball on the ground like a soccer player would ie with his feet. But, of course, don't kick in danger in the process!!!

Either that, or run after it, bent over at the waist, increasing the risk of a head injury.

I think Bucks may have the best answer for this one. It's either protect the head or protect the legs. It's not possible to do both.
K 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:08 pm

And Talking Footy:

https://7plus.com.au/talking-footy

Starts from ~17:30.

Carey: "This is a rule that can be changed right now."

[The Pies-WC game is talked about from ~38:30.]

Last edited by K on Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:13 pm

^ Thanks again K. I'm also waiting to hear what "Footy Classified" says about it, if anything. With Caro on the panel, they are likely to talk about Dustin Martin for the first half hour!!!
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:22 pm

I bet Caro won't say peep about Dusty! haha

This is the third WC game in a row we've been dudded by the umps, what's going on? I had a feeling after the Richmond game that we'd get some harsh calls, we had a good run against the Tigers. And it's the timing, why do we always cop the contentious free kicks when we had momentum?
ronrat 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:47 am

As I often said when the germ was umpiring" They shot the wrong kennedys" And Shocking is running around like a bloody tin god. I would rather take a point of reference from the likes of Buckley, Carey and Dangerfield than some polo playing amateur footballer and a bloke who never actually played the game but umpired it ,badly.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:10 am

Raw Hammer wrote:
"We see the Collingwood player elect to go to ground...

I'm reminded of the famous response from Willie Sutton: "I rob banks because that's where the money is". He went to ground because that's where the ball was

Having said that, the job of the umpires is to enforce the rules as they are, and according to the instructions and interpretations they are given - not to make them up

I'd rather look at why Stevo handballed to Cox; why Cox tried a banana from the pocket; why Phillips and DeGoey missed relatively easy kicks; and so on. You know: things that are actually in our control - not yet another "we wuz robbed by the umpires" rant

Last edited by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 on Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 13 of 14   

Jump to: