Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

2019 VFL R1 vs Coburg (Sat 6th Apr,2pm @Piranha Park Coburg)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barrackers 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:49 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

That last minute was way too tight and edge of my seat to give live updates.

Lions fan gave it to the umps as they came off, but the game or decisions didn’t reflect that.
Doc63 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:52 pm

Great result.
Born to Pie 

Born to Pie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:10 pm

Thanks barrackers (Magpierobin) Cheers
roar 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:17 pm

Umps were terrible. We weren't great but will be better for the run.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:21 pm

barrackers wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
What ever happended to Gus Borthwick? I really liked him in our team.

I would have assumed he's gone back to local footy, but there's no club next to his name on the Ins & Outs VFL page
https://vfl.com.au/2019-vfl-ins-and-outs/

Here's our full squad for 2019
https://vfl.com.au/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2019/04/All-2019-VFL-squad-lists.pdf

I can't get pics to work here, but I posted an image of just our list (not the whole comp) over at bigfooty
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2019-list-changes-for-vfl-pies.1207612/page-8#post-60165849

In: Campbell Hustwaite, Sam Glover, Alex Spencer, Jackson Williams, Adrian Karatzas, Baxter Knight, Adam Oxley, Joel Madden, Patrick Marks, Nick Kempe, Mitch Cotter, Riet Pal, Nick Dodge

Out: Borthwick, Hore, Jok, Tahana, Close, Beveridge, Starcevich, Sing, Jack Blair, Reeves-Smyth*, Hopkins*, O'Sullivan*

Gus has moved to Old Melbournians. He's part of the leadership group, with Jackson Paine. All the best to him - I loved watching him, too.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:28 pm

If we're honest our VFL form in the preseason has appeared pretty poo and Coburg in recent years have been poo but it's still nice to get the chocolates.

Sure beats poo.

K 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:29 pm

Why would Gus do that? Is VFL "worse" in some way? Or too much work?

He was a mainstay of the VFL side.

If we have as much depth as everyone claims, why is the VFL side struggling?
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:36 pm

Thank you, Barrackers! Smile

Good to start the season with a victory. Who were the standout players in your opinion?

ronrat 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:25 pm

Thanks from Thailand. Waiting for rain to stop so I can walk the dog around halftime of the Tiggers game.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:29 pm

Was listening on radio—think they said Reid kicked. 3gl 5pts
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:35 pm

K wrote:
Why would Gus do that? Is VFL "worse" in some way? Or too much work?

He was a mainstay of the VFL side.

If we have as much depth as everyone claims, why is the VFL side struggling?

There are very good reasons but they have nothing to do with our team and they don't reflect badly on Collingwood.
barrackers 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:08 am

Back from the seniors; some mostly positive thoughts before bed

6 Goldsack - typical Goldsack game as a forward. Presented well, but never really has sticky enough hands to take enough grabs consistently. Can't fault his effort though and we know he's capable depth to plug into the seniors when needed.

17 Callum Brown - Played in the centre. A lot more outside footy today and his spread was good. Can see why he was preferred at senior level in round 1. Kicked a nice long goal too.

20 Reid - played forward. Started slowly, but he was superb thereafter with sticky hands. Only shame is his goal kicking let him down; he would have had 6-8 shots on goal and should have got a much bigger bag than the 3 goals he kicked.

26 Daicos - played between half forward and wing. Looks so classy when he gets front and centre whether that be clearing defence or up forward. Better than solid game, without being dominant.

28 Murphy - injured in his first contest. Looks set to spend time on the sidelines with an ankle

29 Broomhead - I suspect he was on managed game time. Played between wing and half forward. Had a real purple patch on the wing in the second half of the third term where he was involved in several strings of play, outside of that he didn't go a lot. What I expected from his frst game back and will need another month before consideration for the seniors.

31 Appleby - some nice defensive efforts, but didn't get much footy.

33 Wills - was invisible as a forward in the first quarter. Moved into the centre at quarter time where he had the next two centre clearances. Spent the rest of the game in the midfield where he dominated and put his name forward for a recall. It's a funny one though, if we're committed to developing him as a forward moving into back into the centre isn't going to help that development.

34 Tyler Brown - played a little bit of wing, but spent most of his time in the centre. At this stage of his career I suspect he'd have more impact and easier footy at half back, but if we see him a mid longterm it's the right decision to set him that harder challenge now. Still done though nice things (one centre clearance comes to mind) though. Plus how good was that leap and mark!

35 Quaynor - wasn't the best defensively, although he did take a couple of nice intercept marks. Looks classy enough and his kicking was clean when not under pressure. Will debut this year.

39 Crocker - continued his new role on a wing, plenty of footy and often dropped back to help out. A couple of clanger kicks, but also a couple of pin point passes. sr36 summed it up well, playing the Mayne role at VFL. Done it well too and was our best on despite Reid's impressive showing.

40 Bosenavulagi - looked off the pace in the first half where he wasn't able to do much clean, I could see what he was trying to do he just didn't quite pull it off whether that be a mark, tackle or run. His last quarter was a lot cleaner though where he got involved on the wing as we came out of half back on a few occasions. Provided a pretty handy link and on one occasion successfully took the game one, which was good to see. Probably won't debut this year, but there's enough to like.

44 Madgen - looked better after switching from FB to CHB with LeGrice. At CHB he was better able to peel off to impact and clear contests and get back to some of his better form.

45 Lynch - best game I've seen him play and better yet the most complete game I've seen him play. By that I mean his tap work was at times outstanding, he dropped back into the defensive hole well where more often than not he marked or at least brought the ball to ground and presented well on the wing. Nice goal after intercepting a lions kick out of defence too.

Last edited by barrackers on Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:15 am

^ Thanks, Barrackers.

Great report. You've certainly filled the void left by MB beautifully.

barrackers 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:28 am

Jezza wrote:
^ Thanks, Barrackers.

Great report. You've certainly filled the void left by MB beautifully.

Cheers Jezza. Having relied upon this site off and on for VFL updates since early in our Williamstown days it's kind of good to give something back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5   

Jump to: