Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

MOTY and GOTY

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:43 pm
Post subject: MOTY and GOTYReply with quote

We have two candidates this week to vote for:
https://goaloftheyear.afl/vote/round/2
https://markoftheyear.afl/vote/round/2

In theory, I don't like this system where the public determines who wins these special awards, but hey, if there's a Pies player nominated, I'll support them.

As an example of how ridiculous the system is, Seeds kicked an absolutely sensational, long goal for Adelaide in their game and it wasn't even nominated.

Just editing this post, as it seems last year, the AFL introduced a new system for deciding these awards and it is assumed that the same will apply for 2019. This followed the absolute debacle of Jeremy Howe not winning Mark of the Year in 2017. Evil or Very Mad

I got this from afl.com.au, in regard to last year's winners:
Quote:
The All Australian committee used a 5-4-3-2-1 voting system to narrow the nominations from all 23 rounds to the final three in each category.

In a change from last year after the uproar to Collingwood high flyer Jeremy Howe being snubbed in the Mark of the Year award, the 10-member committee then voted on the overall winner, with the fan outcome counting as an 11th vote.

Last year, the fan vote decided both awards.

The 10-person AFL All Australian committee consists of Gillon McLachlan (chairman), Steve Hocking, Kevin Bartlett, Luke Darcy, Danny Frawley, Glen Jakovich, Chris Johnson, Cameron Ling, Matthew Richardson and Warren Tredrea.

Last edited by PyreneesPie on Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:00 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Ridiculous that Seedsmans goal was not nominated.

How can you take these seriously after all their debacles; Howe 2017, Walker 2011, Lloyd heel kick winning....

It's just an advertising tool... previously for Hungry Jacks and now for Coates Hire.

It's all wrong. The public shouldnt be voting and all the great goals and marks should be included in any discussion. What if 4 of the seasons best marks were taken in one round?

Anyway, it's become a mediocre award with mediocre winners.

K 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:10 pm

^ You failed to mention the most ridiculous one of all: a clearly illegal goal being awarded.

I am still trying to work out what MOTG means. I think I'll ask the bot. I think the TG stands for "Toby Green".
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:21 pm

Presti35 wrote:
Ridiculous that Seedsmans goal was not nominated.

I'm shocked by that.

K 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:34 pm

Was the Bradshaw predecessor nominated? (Need a very good memory.)

Last edited by K on Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:53 am; edited 1 time in total
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:37 pm

Can’t agree more about Seedsman being robbed. Loved Cox’s goal, but no way was it among the best three goals of the week.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:39 pm

Well, vote for it anyway. Club allegiance overrules all else.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:35 pm
Post subject: Re: MOTG and GOTYReply with quote

PyreneesPie wrote:
We have two candidates this week to vote for:
https://goaloftheyear.afl/vote/round/2
https://markoftheyear.afl/vote/round/2

In theory, I don't like this system where the public determines who wins these special awards, but hey, if there's a Pies player nominated, I'll support them.

As an example of how ridiculous the system is, Seeds kicked an absolutely sensational, long goal for Adelaide in their game and it wasn't even nominated.

Those 3 goals.... wow wee, I think Coxys is the best. 2nd & 3rd are really good...

How about that!!!.... HOW ABOUT THAT!!?!?

Look at this bloke!!!! racing away... streaking awayhhh!!!

JDG wins Mark of the round by a week!

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:41 pm

David wrote:
Can’t agree more about Seedsman being robbed. Loved Cox’s goal, but no way was it among the best three goals of the week.

This has to be some sort of attempt at humour?

That goal is incredible for anyone,... let alone someone a long way over 2 metres tall. Serious question, Height, weight, games & goals for David?

K 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:54 am

The defence was not very good, so its degree of difficulty was decreased. It has the virtue of being legal, though, always something that the clueless AFL and public need to be reminded of.
K 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:48 am

For those who have not been reading the classic thread "A forward pocket disaster" (you are missing out),
K wrote:
What about this set shot from Seedsman? ...

https://twitter.com/AFL/status/1111559118077124609

Bradshaw comparison:
https://twitter.com/AFL/status/1111568726137044992
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:28 am

K wrote:
Well, vote for it anyway. Club allegiance overrules all else.

Nope, voted for Petruccelle – easily the best of the three, I think (but I still think Seedsman’s was better). Likewise, Bruce’s was the best mark and should win that category. Not sure if you’re being serious, but what’s the point of voting if you’re just doing it out of club loyalty? Surely you actually want to see the best mark/goal rewarded?

Skids wrote:
David wrote:

This has to be some sort of attempt at humour?

That goal is incredible for anyone,... let alone someone a long way over 2 metres tall. Serious question, Height, weight, games & goals for David?

Haha, well, since you asked, 178cm, about 72kg now, something like 65 games (across U16s and various low-grade and half-serious competitions) and only 1 goal – but it was a good one! I mostly played full back and back pocket over the course of my "career", so very rarely got any chances to score (one time, in a Nick’s BB vs BomberBlitz match – anyone remember those? – at Vic Park, I had a set shot 30m dead in front but did the unselfish thing and passed it off to Witty 35 Daicos Magic instead, who almost spilt a soda in the forward pocket, balked a couple and slotted it Razz). Anyway, one time in the last quarter of another game that my team was already well and truly out of, I was following my opponent up the field when one of their players kicked the ball out on the full just beyond the intersection of the 50m arc. As the closest, I took the kick, and – not really having many clear options – wheeled around and torped it. My intention was to set one of the forwards up, but the ball spiralled 50 metres, hit the ground around the goalsquare and dribbled through. So that’s the story of my own GOTY contender. Cool

Last edited by David on Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
K 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:02 am

Just watched Petruccelle's goal. Very vanilla. Not much football skill there.
There just happened to be an acre of space in front of him at half forward.

Is there a "yawn" emoticon? I feel like the emoticons offered by Nick's BB do not cover the full range of human or animal emotions.

Apart from that, Petruccelle deserves a penalty for appearing to be too cocky. If I hear him tell us once more how fast he thinks he is, I'm going to puke.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:55 am

Let's face it, though – a lot of the excitement about Cox's goal is because he's, well, Cox, and I think we were all just amazed at how mobile he was in that play. If any other player had done that it'd have been a highlight, but nowhere near a goal of the week nomination I wouldn't have thought. I take your points on Petruccelle, but it's rare to see a running goal from the wing and it does take composure to run that distance and finish well. And don't forget he burned off several opponents in order to take possession in the first place.

On the other hand, how many times do we see a torp from 60m out after the siren nowadays? Once every two, three years at most? And that does take a lot of skill and confidence to pull off.

K 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:03 am

I think I was the first one to highlight Seedsman's goal on this forum -- but that's probably because it was ex-Pie Seedsman.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: