Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies trounce Tigers. All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:10 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

swoop42 wrote:
It worked well enough for Hawthorn 3 years running.

Worth a try.

Very true.
But you have to have a high skill level.
Obviously, Bux thinks we do.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:17 am

Bucks to me is a very futuristic coach —extremely analytical

This in it’s infancy was not working then they introduced new faces
into the coaching and these guys do the day to day function

Bucks plans —if he is what I suspect he is he will stay ahead of the game’s
trend / movement

simon tonna 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:36 am

[quote=" Fancy playing jack in the ruck![/quote]

Still beat mason😪

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:23 am

swoop42 wrote:
If I was to raise one slight concern about last night it would be that despite dominating possession and dictating the manner in which the game was played for large periods Richmond were still in touch early into the last quarter.

You feel we ultimately didn't get the best value for all our effort across the first 3 quarters and it could have proved costly on another night.

Why did this happen?

I'm thinking despite only being a few goals down into the last quarter, they still backed their processes; that is, wait until we coughed up the pill playing the chip-it-around game, then take possession and try to out-sprint us into their F50 on the slingshot. Now that tactic did work for them multiple times in both the 2018 H&A games, securing several junk time goals when they over ran us late in the half-week after Anzac Day, and in the next game when we were maybe 2 rotations short to injury, both times the scoreboard did not reflect how close we got to them. They played their cards early.

swoop42 wrote:
I guess you have to give credit to Richmond who were tenacious in the face of the overwhelming discrepancy in numbers, the injury to Riewoldt and absence of Rance, Caddy and Houli.

We simply had to strike while the iron was hot, with these critical players missing. I'd suggest we'll see a way closer contest next time we play them.

swoop42 wrote:
I guess we shot ourselves in the foot giving up 3 red time goals in the 2nd quarter while we found new and unusual ways to ruin a goal scoring opportunity with that last play inside f50. We hit the post a few times also.

The junk time goals were avoidable in the 2nd, I'm sure they'll be looked at by our strategists. As much as I love the effort Sidey makes to get deep into D50 late in the terms to help the defense out, he needs to be looking at giving the pill off 1st option, rather than trying to evade opponents. Just farm it off quickly, run on and demand it back; keep it simplez. That's one goal we leaked, and perhaps should have been another in the third.

swoop42 wrote:
We were good but far from perfect.

But that's the beauty of it, we were still rusty, slaughtered many I50 targets and chances at goal by foot, BUT still claimed a big scalp, and tipped over 100+ points for the match. Think we might kick some 2011 type scores this year, if all the cattle stay on the park and we click into gear after round 6.

swoop42 wrote:
If you believe the coach we wanted to implement this style last week.

If so we did a poor job of it.

....Nice work Mr. Buckley.

Okay so we should be W2/L0, yet that is still two top eight teams out the way for the time being. No issues with the coaching to date in 2019.
We were sloppy last week and paid the price; but it was corrected quickly.
Geebung was a teething problem; let's see what we bring to the table against the Umpires Untouchables next saturday, and which three inept dickheads are allocated to Roger us.

Abdul The Bull wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
I thought that Greenwood (aka the Pig!) was important tonight too, because he added some grunt to the mid-field. We need that, as evidenced by its lack last week. Too many sprinters otherwise.
Can't wait to see what Tay will bring.

Couldn't agree more. Levi was sensational by owning Martin. One wonders what the result might have been last week if Levi was doing his thing against Geelong's mids.

Viva Le Pig!! Smile

Abdul The Bull wrote:
I'm trying to be more reserved and less emotional this year and, despite the result, I wasn't too concerned about last week's performance as I thought the structures were fundamentally sound. This week I'm not getting too excited as our execution wasn't perfect. The litmus test will be playing our way against all of WCE, Bulldogs, Bombers and particularly Brisbane at their home.

All this and more, looking forward to the ride this year, without the annoying company of our co-pilot of many recent season: Mr.Anxiety. Confused

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:23 am

Damien wrote:
Greenwood is potentially gunna be a ‘horses for courses’ selection throughout this season. That’s fine cos if we remain relatively injury free, some quality players will be playing VFL every week.

Anyone who thinks Tom Phillips isn’t best 22 and one of the first picked clearly doesn’t know much about footy, or what’s important to a footy team; or how much work and runnng is required to do your job.

Aish is the questionable one. He has courage; he has a crack; but unlike Phillips; his numbers aren’t high enough to make up for some serious skill deficiencies. He would be the first to make way for Adams IMHO.

WHE might have to come back via the VFL I reckon.

I agree with you Damien. While I think Aish is a gutsy and skilled player, I've surprised sometimes at his poor decision-making, in disposing of the ball - especially for a player who comes from such great football pedigree. Atm, he's still in our best 22, but he needs to improve to hold his spot imo.
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:10 pm

Following are selected snippets from The Mongrel Punt’s review of the game.

(I may not always agree with the Mongrel, but to me he creates some of the best written match reviews there are, better than anything from the mainstream media's print journos. So well observed, and written in the language of footy and within hours of the game so it captures the game day mood).

“Watching Jack Riewoldt up forward was interesting tonight. Whenever he was opposed to Moore, he was shut out of the game, and it was only when he was moved into the ruck (Alan Jeans used to say you don’t throw your thoroughbreds in with the brumbies, but what would he know, right?) that he started to get some touches.”

“I’d love to see him [Pendlebury] get back into the All-Australian side this season so they can stop handing out the captaincy to people who aren’t actually club leaders.”

“… Martin appears to not give a rat’s ass about the defensive aspect of the game (zero tackles), as soon as a player gets a little win against him, they can turn it into a big win by capitalising on his reluctance to chase… Dusty’s tackling stats for 2019. Two games, no tackles.”

“I’m not sure there’s a player in the league that leads as hard at the ball carrier as de Goey. He doesn’t half-lead, hoping the ball goes in his direction – he screams your name, runs right at you and commands your attention. I watched Steele Sidebottom ignore his lead to the pocket in the first quarter, and de Goey gave him a spray. Every time he leads, he believes he is the best option. That may or may not be because he usually is the best option… There aren’t many genuine match winners in the game, but de Goey is one of them.”

“For the second week in a row, Langdon has demonstrated exactly why the Pies were so eager to keep him. He reads the ball beautifully … to the point where he’s the only one capable of marking a ball because every other bloke in the area has run under it, following their man, or completely misjudging it.”

“Richmond had too many passengers. They had 16 players with one or less tackles. Yep, you read that correctly – 16 players did not reach the lofty heights of holding onto more than a single tackle. Six players had no tackles at all.”

“…I like a bit of the rough stuff, but Dylan Grimes’ raised forearm to the face of Jamie Elliott in the last quarter was absolutely stupid. With their number one defender sidelined for the season, Grimes will be relied upon to carry a heavy load. He dropped that load at the first opportunity, tonight.”

“The Collingwood field kicking was incredible in this one. Brayden Maynard’s long 55 metre pass to Jaidyn Stephenson on the wing in the third quarter opened the game right up, allowing Mihocek to run into an open goal.”

“The Mason Cox goal in the last quarter, faking one way, then the other, then snapping… how did he get that sort of time to move amid the celebrated Richmond defence? Is he covered in poo or something? Does no one want to touch him?”

“If you can execute well enough to move the ball before the pressure comes, the Richmond structure falls down. That’s what the Pies did tonight, and goals followed.”

https://themongrelpunt.com/afl/2019/03/29/gbupiestigers
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:33 pm

swoop42 wrote:
It worked well enough for Hawthorn 3 years running.

Worth a try.

Agree. The switch play / possession game did work well for the Hawks but I think it goes deeper than that.
The Eagles won the flag off the back of the chip around possession game and it looks like the Giants are following a similar game style in 2019.

There is nothing more fundamental in footy than when you have the ball, the opposition can’t score.
The possession / chip around / switch play style of footy isn’t for every team but if you have decent list in the first place, then it’s a good start.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:39 pm

A lot of that chip / switch game firstly is practice but in the heat of a game your complete confidence in your team mate is crucial to avoid turn over and loss of pocession

High risk —hi profit

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:42 pm

I hate it when other teams employ that game style against us, it's bloody frustrating to watch but pretty damn good watching the way we did it. I like our usual run and gun style but it's nice to know we can switch it up completely as we need. Gives me great confidence heading in to the season
John LEWIN 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:02 pm

I thought the Nicksters' concerns about the omission of Greenwood against Geelong were validated. I think that result would have been different with him in. He's the sort of player that helps in a tight game, particularly against a team which values physical strength.

The other takeaway I would add is the interesting game Mihocek had. Two things about that; I think he looked more at home at AFL level and also more mobile ( mind and body) in the role the coaching staff had him playing, which was a world away from what he was doing at Port Melbourne and more varied than his game last year. Credit to him and them for the development. Early days but I hope he can continue like that.

K 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:29 pm

John LEWIN wrote:
I thought the Nicksters' concerns about the omission of Greenwood against Geelong were validated. I think that result would have been different with him in. ...

They were sort of validated just by his selection alone, in that there wasn't a clear reason why Levi would be more suited to R2 than R1 in terms of match-up.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:36 pm

Watching AFL Live full replay and Greenwood was like a dog chasing a bone mate—-was into contest after contest

Whats the media guys name that was North President (forget name)

Well he was saying Greenwood 28 yrs old and if so with a few seasons left a definite weapon in a tough GF or two

K 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:40 pm

Which (so Nicksters believe) would have happened if he'd been selected in R1. (And then, so the argument goes, we might have won that game.)
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:04 pm

The chip kicking and keepings off game style we played was reminiscent of the way the Hawks (2013-2015) sides used to play. The Eagles played a similar style last year to counter Richmond and it also troubled us at various stages. It will be interesting to see how it holds up next week against the Eagles.

Richmond's known for their tackling pressure and love the ball being on ground for their smalls to mop up, but we denied them at every opportunity essentially making the likes of Castagna, Butler and Rioli useless for the most part. It also helped that Martin's been in decline since his career best season in 2017 so the biggest midfield threat was nullified. The introduction of the 6-6-6 rule will hurt weak centre clearance sides, which Richmond was last year (17th in the competition).

Last year, our rise up the ladder was exciting and unexpected but there was a sense of uncertainty of whether our strong form could be maintained. Now, I feel a sense of confidence within the playing group that we can just about beat anyone and do it in style. There will be challenges throughout the year, but the optimism has returned from the whole club (players, coaches, supporters and alike).

K 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:43 pm

Jezza wrote:
... It also helped that Martin's been in decline since his career best season in 2017 so the biggest midfield threat was nullified. ...

That's a strong claim. I'm not sure we can conclude that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 12 of 14   

Jump to: