Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Players de-hydrated due to new edict on runners?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SwansWay 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:11 am
Post subject: Players de-hydrated due to new edict on runners?Reply with quote

I saw this on television last night and I am amazed that it's not getting more traction as it seems like a serious case of player welfare negligence. For an organisation that "claims" player welfare is paramount, I would've thought a measly drink of water could be vouchsafed them.

Could this have anything to do with some of the listless performances at the weekend? Discuss? I'd love to know what you all think?
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:24 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there much of a change for water carriers?

Runners and water carriers

•Team runners may only enter the playing surface after a goal has been kicked and must exit before play restarts.
•Water carriers are not permitted to enter the playing surface during live play.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-11/new-rules-revealed-nine-changes-for-2019

20 minutes of 'Live play'.... so there's at least 5 minutes a quarter where water carriers are giving out drinks, plus time players spend on the bench to grab one too.

I don't think it would be an issue.

Water stations are every 3.5k in a marathon.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:47 am

There is no doubt we haven’t heard the last of the rule changes relating to runners and for a number of reasons.
Your point is very valid and the other area of concern regarding player welfare is the inability of coaches / fitness staff to manage the minutes they want players to be on the ground. I was talking to a couple Richmond game day staffers on the weekend and they were extremely concerned about the inability to get players off because they had basically burnt themselves out on the ground.
The problem arises because runners get so little time on the ground, they are filled with so many tactical instructions and don’t get the time to reach players ( particularly deep in forward line ) and instruct them to come off.
That’s from the horses mouth and I guarantee Richmond won’t be the only the club to have had these issues.
I imagine there is a correction coming at some point but it should never have got to that stage. The coaches should have dug their heels in on this one and met them half way.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:36 am

Pies2016 wrote:
There is no doubt we haven’t heard the last of the rule changes relating to runners and for a number of reasons.
Your point is very valid and the other area of concern regarding player welfare is the inability of coaches / fitness staff to manage the minutes they want players to be on the ground. I was talking to a couple Richmond game day staffers on the weekend and they were extremely concerned about the inability to get players off because they had basically burnt themselves out on the ground.
The problem arises because runners get so little time on the ground, they are filled with so many tactical instructions and don’t get the time to reach players ( particularly deep in forward line ) and instruct them to come off.
That’s from the horses mouth and I guarantee Richmond won’t be the only the club to have had these issues.
I imagine there is a correction coming at some point but it should never have got to that stage. The coaches should have dug their heels in on this one and met them half way.

Wouldn't they have a pre game plan, can't the bench hold up boards with player numbers on them to get them off or relay messages?

I think the benefit of not having runners obstructing play, outweighs a few teething issues with getting the communication right.
Clubs just have to get smarter with this... maybe a buzzer on the GPS the players wear on the ground?
We see cricketers and AFL players (in pre-season games) 'Mic'd up', so progressing with that technology seems like the logical step to me.

We don't want a runner getting in the way... again!

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:37 pm

^^^^

I think there is a couple parts to this. Like anything that’s “ dramatically “ different, there is a teething problem and clubs will find a way to improve the communication. At the elite level, players are used to having their bodies managed from work load data. Data from the GPS goes into alert mode and the fitness people make calls on their elevated vitals.
The short term problem is because there are less resources available for coaches to relay tactical information, every remaining resource that is left ( boards, the runner ) is used on tactical information.
I’m sure that will improve over time but it’s a genuine concern right now.
As I understand it, the boards spend more time representing colours which represent certain tactics or plays. I’m not sure how successful it is to hold up a certain players number who is a couple hundred metres away and leave it up there until you know he’s seen it.
Surely the AFL could have met somewhere in the middle on this one. My personal opinion is they have used a sledgehammer to crack a walnut
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:09 pm

Skids wrote:
Is there much of a change for water carriers?

Runners and water carriers

•Team runners may only enter the playing surface after a goal has been kicked and must exit before play restarts.
•Water carriers are not permitted to enter the playing surface during live play.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-11/new-rules-revealed-nine-changes-for-2019

20 minutes of 'Live play'.... so there's at least 5 minutes a quarter where water carriers are giving out drinks, plus time players spend on the bench to grab one too.

I don't think it would be an issue.

It is an issue in a low-scoring game, as it was Friday night. Runners didn't get much of a chance to get drinks out in the heat.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:14 pm

Skids wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:

Wouldn't they have a pre game plan, can't the bench hold up boards with player numbers on them to get them off or relay messages?

I think the benefit of not having runners obstructing play, outweighs a few teething issues with getting the communication right.
Clubs just have to get smarter with this... maybe a buzzer on the GPS the players wear on the ground?
We see cricketers and AFL players (in pre-season games) 'Mic'd up', so progressing with that technology seems like the logical step to me.

We don't want a runner getting in the way... again!

Number 36, your Parma and chips is ready. Razz

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:14 pm

stui magpie wrote:

Number 36, your Parma and chips is ready. Razz

Laughing Laughing Absolutely hilarious, stui!! Love our Swanny.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: