Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Are our Expectations Realistic?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:35 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

PyreneesPie wrote:
Well, I'm pleased to hear that according to "On the Couch", the Weagles are now the team to beat in 2019 for the flag. Excellent! Better that they carry the media's expectations, rather than us!!

On sb now, the flag odds are: WC 4.50; Collingwood 5.00; Geelong 5.50; GWS 6.50; Richmond 13.00; Melbourne 15.00; ...

BetEasy (Tuesday): WC 4.50; Collingwood 5.25; Geelong 5.75; GWS 6.50; Richmond 11.00; Melbourne 15.00; ...
K 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:56 am

3rd degree wrote:
Port are still flag favorites.

And Corey Gault the Brownlow favourite?

They have a miss-top-8 market. Port is 1.47. Maybe Richmond is best value there at 3.10. They're saying Richmond have a 70% chance to make the 8. It depends a lot on Lynch. If he goes down, the ship may go down. If he kicks 6 every week...

The Pies they're saying have an 88% chance to make the 8.
E 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:46 am

so we will easily handle Brisbane and essendon and will be either second or third. We'll likely stay there the rest of the seaosn.

Top 4 is looking like it will be WC, Collingwood, GWS and maybe Geelong (although Melbourne or Richmond could still come through). Melbourne are a lot more talented than they have shown to date.

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:32 pm

E wrote:
so we will easily handle Brisbane and essendon and will be either second or third. We'll likely stay there the rest of the seaosn.

Geez, I admire your optimism E, or are you succumbing to unrealistic expectations!!! Wink
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:50 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
E wrote:

Geez, I admire your optimism E, or are you succumbing to unrealistic expectations!!! Wink

I think at some point, we’ve all been guilty of the occasional premature expectation 😉
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:17 am

Pies2016 wrote:

I think at some point, we’ve all been guilty of the occasional premature expectation 😉

Laughing Good one Pies2016. Very good!!!
E 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:40 am

PyreneesPie wrote:
E wrote:

what has happened to Collingwood supporters. We are all such defeatests. what is the point of building an AWESOME frick'n team if you dont have the bravery and the courage to enjoy that awesomeness.

I have already booked my flight home for the grand final (and believe me, i come from far away). Last year, i bought my ticket only after the Tigers game!

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:12 pm

E wrote:

what has happened to Collingwood supporters. We are all such defeatests. what is the point of building an AWESOME frick'n team if you dont have the bravery and the courage to enjoy that awesomeness.

I have already booked my flight home for the grand final (and believe me, i come from far away). Last year, i bought my ticket only after the Tigers game!

I think you can still have "the bravery and the courage to enjoy that awesomeness" , when you're not automatically expecting a GF appearance. They aren't exclusive of one another!! Nothing defeatist about such an attitude at all in my book.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:49 pm

I expect us to win the flag this year. Is that realistic? We'll know by the end of September.
K 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:53 pm

From lots of these threads, it sounds like many supporters believe the only way to enjoy football is to make wild projections about the team.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:05 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
I expect us to win the flag this year. Is that realistic? We'll know by the end of September.

Well RudeBoy, I hope you're right, but I can't say that (in my view only of course) you're being realistic, simply because maybe you're under-estimating just how hard the bloody things are to win? Wink

From a very small sample of four games, it seems that the AFL's desire for evenness across the competition is finally coming to fruition after doing all in their power for years to prevent the teams with the bigger following (mainly us) from exerting their influence. More than ever, I think winning the flag will be about luck and relying on luck is not realistic. Very Happy

I hope, but I never expect.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:12 pm

K wrote:
From lots of these threads, it sounds like many supporters believe the only way to enjoy football is to make wild projections about the team.

Yeah, it's interesting K, that's for sure. After the grief and pain of last year, I am vowing to enjoy following the Pies for its own intrinsic value, independent of results. Hope springs eternal though, but that's entirely different from projecting about and predicting the future!!
E 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:32 pm

K wrote:

Projections? These are not projections. They are facts!

Still, having spent years worrying that we weren't good enough (and then finding out that last year you were actually wrong and we had a great side right under your nose), i guess worrying now whether the goodness is really good is something you were born to do.

Go and pour the half half the the water out of your glass mate, and i'll go fill the other half of mine!!!

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:48 am

E wrote:
Still, having spent years worrying that we weren't good enough (and then finding out that last year you were actually wrong and we had a great side right under your nose), i guess worrying now whether the goodness is really good is something you were born to do.

Go and pour the half half the the water out of your glass mate, and i'll go fill the other half of mine!!!

Where do you get the notion from that not predicting a flag win after the fifth round of the season is being a pessimist or not appreciating our team??? There's absolutely no correlation between the two at all.
You don't seem to be understanding what having realistic expectations is all about.
From the dictionary:
" Having or showing a sensible and practical idea of what can be achieved or expected ".

You can crow all you like, but there's no need to make personal judgments about others who don't feel comfortable about doing that, nor see the sense in doing it so early on in the season.

Last edited by PyreneesPie on Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:01 am

We will win the flag easily this year. Lock it in. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6   

Jump to: