Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Are our Expectations Realistic?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:22 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

K wrote:
One week, one of our players yet to debut is declared to be Nat Fyfe. The next week, another player is declared to be G. Ablett Sr. The next week, another player is declared to be Peter Knights.

If only wins came as easily as the hype.

Yeah, I had the eyebrows raised by the suggestion on the commentary that JDG was being considered as an up and coming Gary Ablett Sr!!! FFS, just leave the boy alone I say!! He's already trying to carry the whole forward line!!

I have no evidence for this apart from incidental observation, but it seems we tend to play better when expectations are lower. We like being the under-dogs. i I was amazed that we started such clear cut favorites with betting agencies for the game against the Weagles tonight. Hope the players and certainly the supporters take no notice of such nonsense!
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:05 am

The Gary Ablett Sr comparisons are nothing new.

A few years ago they were saying Jake Stringer was the next Ablett Sr, now it's De Goey.

K 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:38 am

I didn't hear that about Stringer. I'd be shocked to hear that about anyone. The last time I heard any comparisons to GAS was in the prime of GAJ's career (and the comparisons were for obvious non-footballing reasons), and when that happened and was put to GAS's former teammates they had looks on their faces that said "You must be completely insane".
K 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:43 am

PyreneesPie wrote:
... I was amazed that we started such clear cut favorites with betting agencies for the game against the Weagles tonight. Hope the players and certainly the supporters take no notice of such nonsense!

It was stunning... but the supporters, far from taking no notice of such nonsense, have to be the ones driving the lunacy. The bookies were not making an extended April Fool's joke. Their odds are driven by the punters. It could be that non-Pies punters are lunatics, but you'd have to guess that much of the punter lunacy was Pies punter lunacy.

(And we're still flag favourites, equal with Geebung, ahead of WC even after the loss.)
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:51 am

K wrote:
One week, one of our players yet to debut is declared to be Nat Fyfe. The next week, another player is declared to be G. Ablett Sr. The next week, another player is declared to be Peter Knights.

If only wins came as easily as the hype.

Neither Fyfe nor G Ablett Snr were as good as people like to imagine. I am not interested in such comparisons but it is fair to say that JDG is better than Ablett was at the same age. But, of course, age-based comparisons are fraught with difficulty - when Daniel Barenboim was playing Beethoven reasonably authoritatively at 16, plenty of people thought he was the best thing since sliced bread. Now, with the benefit of hindsight, we know that he never quite reached the heights (as a pianist) forecast from his early promise.

Peter Knights, though, was an absolutely amazing player and it defies belief that any defender playing the modern game could be compared to him. I haven't ever re-watched the 1978 Grand Final but I was at the ground that day and watched the greatest centre-half back I have ever seen stroll down to full-forward and turn the game in the second half. There's not too many defenders today that you would even imagine might have that sort of capability. Certainly, no-one on our list does.
K 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:08 pm

"At the same age" arguments count for very little. Look at the high points. Is anyone going to have a finals series like Ablett's '89 one?

I wonder which of our players is going to be compared to Leigh Matthews.

(Is there a "sigh" emoticon?)
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:37 pm

K wrote:
"At the same age" arguments count for very little. Look at the high points. Is anyone going to have a finals series like Ablett's '89 one?

The world is full of players who lost Grand Finals. I don't want any more of those "greats" in Collingwood jumpers. I'm sure, eg, that the wonderful Billy Picken would happily trade all his "best player in finals" awards for "hopelessly outclassed in every game except one - but that day he won a Grand Final".
K 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:34 pm

Sounds like you're saying you're sick of supporters "elevating players to demi gods" (as others put it).
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:42 pm

Well, yes. Only the Future Captain is immortal and ineffable.
Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:00 pm

K wrote:

Someone did it with JdG on the weekend, I think. And I'm pretty sure that Bruce has done it a couple of times too.

Also, the Fyfe reference from Buckley was more a "style like" than "ability like" comparison.
K 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:32 pm

"Did it" meaning compared him to LM? Sad

The draft kids are also asked that, but of course "style like" becomes blurred with "same ability as" and they come off sounding arrogant. It's hard for them, because they can't afford to be too modest until they've been safely drafted.

People should know the media and public will make no distinction and should just avoid comparisons that invite hype. (With the Fyfe stuff, their skinny teenage frames was obviously part of it.)
K 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:23 pm

Of course, the start of this problem may have been when Brereton said that one of his Pies teammates could be "better than Wayne Carey". Brereton later denied over-hyping the poor kid, pointing out that his full quote included "if he gets fit". Yes, yes, ... "If he gets fit" makes all the difference...

(Said player ended up kicking 25 goals in 54 games total, with an average of just under 9 disposals and 3 marks per game.)
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:11 pm

Well, I'm pleased to hear that according to "On the Couch", the Weagles are now the team to beat in 2019 for the flag. Excellent! Better that they carry the media's expectations, rather than us!!
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:26 pm

Port are still flag favorites.

www.facebook/the hybernators
eureka 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:10 pm

can not see the pies in the gf this time around more like a west coast v cats gf at this stage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6   

Jump to: