Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Are our Expectations Realistic?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:07 am
Post subject: Are our Expectations Realistic?Reply with quote

Oh how I wish that we could stop loading up our players with unrealistic, huge, unattainable expectations. How I wish we could see them for what they are - actual human beings who are simply amazing in what they can do - how about JDG when he shrugged off that tackle with supreme strength to kick a goal against the Cats!!! How about Jamie Elliott, fighting god knows what demons, to get himself back on the park?

Why can't we rejoice in what our players can do, rather than expecting them to always gratify our every wish? They are there simply to make our loves whole, are they???? Get a life then, I say.

Why do some of us love to rubbish our team if we judge that they have turned in a weaker performance against our oh, so high standards?

Why do we expect that just because we made it to the big dance against all the odds, that we will automatically get there the next year?

So many players are suffering from mental health issues, because we the supporters like to to sit comfortably and anonymously behind our keyboards, dealing out the criticism. Those who dished out on Adam Treloar tonight. Do you realize he suffers from anxiety issues????

Our players and coaches are human - they make mistakes, don't always perform at their best, although they always try to. Get off their backs!! They are capable of doing things that 99.9% of us will never do, with gut-busting courage that is admirable.
Adz 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:37 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

We generally adore them.

As fans we don’t think of it rationally. The moment they run onto the field they are super hero’s. We admire, adore and we place so much of our own personal fulfilment on the success of the team.

I’m passionate about Collingwood. They are a part of me and I don’t know why.

We barrack, not observe. We cheer we don’t nod our heads.

Sport provides us an outlet.
It’s just a ball being kicked around by men we don’t know but we religiously follow it.
Why? Because it’s exilerating and awe inspiring. It’s plain fun in a world of mundane.

Dealing with last years GF loss was like being broken up by someone you love. That’s how it felt. It still hurts.

We’re emotional beings and we wave to feel good. Our team winning releases those endorphins.

Right now. Collingwood aren’t bringing much joy. To the point where I’m wondering is it healthy to put myself through this again and again. Supporting a purpetcual loser club.
But I can’t stop.

I’ll angry. I’ll get sad.

I just hope we can get joy again in my lifetime.
A natural high that’s hard to replicate.

We love them. We love our club. We just are a little crazy. But you kind of have to be right.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:20 am

Adz wrote:
We generally adore them.

As fans we don’t think of it rationally. The moment they run onto the field they are super hero’s. We admire, adore and we place so much of our own personal fulfilment on the success of the team.

We love them. We love our club. We just are a little crazy. But you kind of have to be right.

But is this good for the players' mental health (and the club's on-field performance)? It's a very fickle and conditional "love" you're describing there. Sounds more like emotional abuse the fans are inflicting on the players.
Johnno75 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:06 am

Let’s get to Round 4-5 and then we can be judgemental. Our game last night was not dissimilar to last year. Panic, panic, panic and a shitfest of fumbles, turnovers and costly misses. Somehow we have to keep the ledger even before a better run after the first month.

Get Adams back and Sier into last years form and we will be better at the coalface.

kymbo5@yahoo.com.au 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:22 am

No disrespect to this post but I don't like the word "realistic" means you are just limiting what you can achieve. Clearly, from last year and many seasons gone past, any team can win the flag, not just a favourite. We are in the flag race up to our ears.
swooper 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:52 am
Post subject: Re: Are our Expectations Realistic?Reply with quote

PyreneesPie wrote:
Oh how I wish that we could stop loading up our players with unrealistic, huge, unattainable expectations. How I wish we could see them for what they are - actual human beings who are simply amazing in what they can do - how about JDG when he shrugged off that tackle with supreme strength to kick a goal against the Cats!!! How about Jamie Elliott, fighting god knows what demons, to get himself back on the park?

Why can't we rejoice in what our players can do, rather than expecting them to always gratify our every wish? They are there simply to make our loves whole, are they???? Get a life then, I say.

Why do some of us love to rubbish our team if we judge that they have turned in a weaker performance against our oh, so high standards?

Why do we expect that just because we made it to the big dance against all the odds, that we will automatically get there the next year?

So many players are suffering from mental health issues, because we the supporters like to to sit comfortably and anonymously behind our keyboards, dealing out the criticism. Those who dished out on Adam Treloar tonight. Do you realize he suffers from anxiety issues????

Our players and coaches are human - they make mistakes, don't always perform at their best, although they always try to. Get off their backs!! They are capable of doing things that 99.9% of us will never do, with gut-busting courage that is admirable.

Well said
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:36 am

Disagree; they had an entire pre-season campaign to work on flaws in our game, same as every other club, all of which manifested tonight. Which isn't a bad thing, if those problems are identified, which shouldn't be hard, then corrected over the next few weeks.
On the down side, this is the type of template that shows that we are beatable, regardless of what the media says about our midfield.

Somebody mentioned in the post-match that the supporters really wanted a win first up as some consolation for losing the 2018GF; fair enough.

K 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:38 am

From other thread...

K wrote:
People's expectations of both [MC, BM] are probably too high. ...

Pies4shaw wrote:
It's not just expectations. It's imagination run riot in many cases. And people become illogical when they want to assign blame.

Not helpful to the players, is it?
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:39 am

Quote:
On the down side, this is the type of template that shows that we are beatable, regardless of what the media says about our midfield.

Of course, we're beatable. Every team in the competition is. This is because the players are mere mortals.

Quote:
Somebody mentioned in the post-match that the supporters really wanted a win first up as some consolation for losing the 2018GF; fair enough.

Yep, I'm sure we would've all wanted that. However, not getting it, doesn't mean we should automatically get abusive and trash our team, in a similar way to spoilt children.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:54 am

PyreneesPie wrote:
... However, not getting it, doesn't mean we should automatically get abusive and trash our team, in a similar way to spoilt children.

The opposite might also be harmful: not behaving as fans like spoilt children, but turning the players into spoilt children. Some of the fans' behaviour at club training in GF week, etc. is seriously weird...
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:11 am

kymbo5@yahoo.com.au wrote:
No disrespect to this post but I don't like the word "realistic" means you are just limiting what you can achieve. Clearly, from last year and many seasons gone past, any team can win the flag, not just a favourite. We are in the flag race up to our ears.

Thanks for your reply kymbo5. I appreciate what you're saying. I too hope and believe that we are capable of giving the premiership a shake.

Expectations are, to my mind, a different beast to belief, which is why I questioned whether those held by many Collingwood supporters are realistic. Expectations are about what we think "should" happen, whereas belief is about what we think can happen, what we are capable of.

If we expect that the Pies should win every game, play brilliantly all the time to the best of our capabilities, win the premiership and thereby satisfy our every emotional want of them, then we're setting ourselves up for a fall and by default, putting too much pressure on the team.

I think this is a distinction which Bucks is trying to make the Collingwood community understand. Yes, it's great, essential even, to have high hopes and believe we are capable of the ultimate. However, to expect that this is what should happen is what leads to feelings of anger and disgust, even over the loss of just one game. It leads to us aggressively berating our team unfairly and adding to the already considerable pressure that the players and coaches are already under.

We live in reality, not some alternative utopian universe, where what we expect will happen always does. Better for everyone I think to tone down the expectations, but maintain the belief and to get some joy along the way about the incredible feats our players can perform.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:18 am

Maybe ideally fans should have zero expectations, good or bad. Everyone laughs about coaches and players saying, "We're taking it one week at a time," but it's a cliche because it's true that that's how they should approach things. Why shouldn't fans do the same?
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:18 am

K wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
... However, not getting it, doesn't mean we should automatically get abusive and trash our team, in a similar way to spoilt children.

The opposite might also be harmful: not behaving as fans like spoilt children, but turning the players into spoilt children. Some of the fans' behaviour at club training in GF week, etc. is seriously weird...

Good point K. This happens I guess when we unrealistically elevate them to beings who can provide for our own emotional well-being, turning them into demi-gods. This must seriously mess with their own reality about who they are.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:39 am

K wrote:
Maybe ideally fans should have zero expectations, good or bad. Everyone laughs about coaches and players saying, "We're taking it one week at a time," but it's a cliche because it's true that that's how they should approach things. Why shouldn't fans do the same?

Yes, yes!! Why not? I'm sure the coaches and players would appreciate the supporters being in synch with their approach and perhaps, we could even enjoy supporting our team more! Smile
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:48 pm

The problem for supporters these days is that we know way too much about the game. When I was a kid, if the team was in a rare poor patch, you just go along next week and have faith that they’d “come good” soon. Now we know why they’re in a bad patch and understand the statistical likelihood of them getting out of it and we just get depressed. It was much more fun when we could just say,”Daics will get us up next week” - now, so much effort goes into ruining the spectacle that the guns don’t much matter and can’t really ever have the “star” impact of former times.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6   

Jump to: