Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Are our Expectations Realistic?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:27 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

We just had a real shitty game, where nothing went right, nothing, Cats were crap, but we were worse. I expect a huge effort next week v tigers, we may not win, but by crikey, I want a vastly improved effort, on all fronts.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:50 pm

A nice sentiment PP, but you are wasting your breath. I try to be thankful and supportive of all our players, but every now and again, my emotions get the better of me...especially after an unexpected loss.

For supporters, footy is all about emotion plain and simple. It's the release valve for dealing with all the other shit in the world and in our daily lives. That's why fans will always over-hype or over-denigrate our team's performances. It's always been so and so it will always be.

Only coaches can be balanced, logical and rational in their analysis. After all, that's their job. It's why fans often dislike coaches like Bucks, because they sound so clinical and unemotional in their analyses.

So PP, well done for pointing out the human side of football, but don't expect any real change in the style of rants by the keyboard warriors, me included. Confused
derkd 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:21 pm

I am probably repeating myself from last night, but i really think we have little to be worried about from last night's match.

- Yes, we played badly, we lost by 7 points (hardly a blowout). Our flaws were not confined to our team Geelong were just as poor.

- We managed something we failed to do most of last year, get through a game without a major injury. The players that returned were outstanding. The midfielders who were poor are unlikely to play two bad games in a row.

- We are four weeks behind almost every other club on fitness.

- We lose some of the pre-season hype....I for one hate it...say what you will this club in modern history has never handled media or fan hype well (2011) ...we drop a game early and watch West Coast or Melbourne or the Crows pick up the hype. fine by me, lets the lads get on with the job.

Lastly, do we want to be playing our best footy in round 1? or from round 1? nope.....look at Richmond last year, or Collingwood 2011 ....play your best footy too early, you will only fall over in the finals.

We need to build into the season slowly, if we can come out of the first month just inside the eight, keep within striking distance of the top four. I for one will be happy.

And to keep this post on topic, no will not be loading the team with undue expectation ....or calling the team "weak"or telling our coach to get F*&Ked in the match thread because we lost. that is what fair weather supporters do.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:37 pm

My realistic expectation is that we have a red hot go every weekend of the footy season.
You simply won’t win every game you play and as long as we continue to have a go with the talent on our list, the rest will look after itself come September.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:21 pm

I certainly agree with your first sentence.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:45 pm

derkd wrote:
I am probably repeating myself from last night, but i really think we have little to be worried about from last night's match.

- Yes, we played badly, we lost by 7 points (hardly a blowout). Our flaws were not confined to our team Geelong were just as poor.

- We managed something we failed to do most of last year, get through a game without a major injury. The players that returned were outstanding. The midfielders who were poor are unlikely to play two bad games in a row.

- We are four weeks behind almost every other club on fitness.

- We lose some of the pre-season hype....I for one hate it...say what you will this club in modern history has never handled media or fan hype well (2011) ...we drop a game early and watch West Coast or Melbourne or the Crows pick up the hype. fine by me, lets the lads get on with the job.

Lastly, do we want to be playing our best footy in round 1? or from round 1? nope.....look at Richmond last year, or Collingwood 2011 ....play your best footy too early, you will only fall over in the finals.

We need to build into the season slowly, if we can come out of the first month just inside the eight, keep within striking distance of the top four. I for one will be happy.

And to keep this post on topic, no will not be loading the team with undue expectation ....or calling the team "weak"or telling our coach to get F*&Ked in the match thread because we lost. that is what fair weather supporters do.

Great post, Derkd, with which i concur. I think in the final 10 minutes of the first quarter, I saw the signs of the huge talent and power our list has the capability of producing. I thought, in those 10 minutes, that we were about to steamroll Geelong. Unfortunately, that hint of sheer domination disappeared for the rest of the game, which I think was due to rust/cobwebs/ etc. Why are we four weeks behind in fitness, by the way?

Tezza23 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:23 pm

The last 10 minutes of the 1st is what Coll are capable of, not of what Coll deliver. The majority of the rest of the 110 minutes was a mixture of laziness, ineptitude, carelessness, and a downright lack of any system and cohesion.

If that game last night was the exception to the rule you could use any argument you wanted to justify it.

However go back over the last 15 games (the last 14 of 2018 after the bye) and you will see that the trend of Collingwood performances is mainly made up of the bad 110 minutes of last night. Apart from a couple of belting against sides not in the finals ie GCS, PTA and NM, we struggled in everyone of our other 12 games, with the two exceptions being the first half of the prelim and the first 20 mins of the GF.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:44 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
A nice sentiment PP, but you are wasting your breath. I try to be thankful and supportive of all our players, but every now and again, my emotions get the better of me...especially after an unexpected loss.

For supporters, footy is all about emotion plain and simple. It's the release valve for dealing with all the other shit in the world and in our daily lives. That's why fans will always over-hype or over-denigrate our team's performances. It's always been so and so it will always be.

Only coaches can be balanced, logical and rational in their analysis. After all, that's their job. It's why fans often dislike coaches like Bucks, because they sound so clinical and unemotional in their analyses.

So PP, well done for pointing out the human side of football, but don't expect any real change in the style of rants by the keyboard warriors, me included. Confused

Well Rudeboy, I certainly do agree that being a supporter, especially of the Pies, is an emotional business. It's just interesting why some of us react to a loss with anger and derision of the team, coaches and individual players. Why can't we just feel disappointed and a bit sad/down, review the game and argue about what went amiss, then get back on the horse? (Oh no, I mentioned a horse!!! Laughing Laughing ).
My answer to this is that we expect a group of mere mortals to always perform as we think they should. That's not realistic.

I picked up on this in your post:
Quote:
my emotions get the better of me...especially after an unexpected loss
. It's the expectation not being met that seems to spark such extreme negative reactions, rather than the loss itself.

Anyway, whatever.... I would just like to see more of us being unconditional supporters, rather than fair weather ones, but have no expectation of that happening!!! Laughing
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:45 pm

derkd wrote:

Thumbs up to you derkd and I thought your expression of "fair weather supporters" was so good, I borrowed it!! Laughing

Last edited by PyreneesPie on Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:49 pm

Tezza23 wrote:
The last 10 minutes of the 1st is what Coll are capable of, not of what Coll deliver. The majority of the rest of the 110 minutes was a mixture of laziness, ineptitude, carelessness, and a downright lack of any system and cohesion.

Sigh. Rolling Eyes
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:01 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
The problem for supporters these days is that we know way too much about the game. When I was a kid, if the team was in a rare poor patch, you just go along next week and have faith that they’d “come good” soon..

I reckon this is a really valid point. Back in those days, we went to the game with hope and if we lost, we let our faith in the club carry us onwards to the next game.

These days we approach a game with elevated expectations, borne of information that comes through online pre-match discussion and 24/7 media commentary, analysis and predictions. Sometimes, uninformed ignorance, as in having no idea of what to expect, really is bliss. Smile
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:20 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
The problem for supporters these days is that we know way too much about the game. When I was a kid, if the team was in a rare poor patch, you just go along next week and have faith that they’d “come good” soon.
Now we know why they’re in a bad patch and understand the statistical likelihood of them getting out of it and we just get depressed. It was much more fun when we could just say,”Daics will get us up next week” ...

That's kind of true, BUT it was a much simpler time back then.
No TV saturation, no social media rubbish, less teams in the comp, no salary cap crap, and the vast majority of the players played for a pittance, nowhere ever near the current minimum VFL wage.
Plus most of them had a job or trade in the real world back then, even if their hours were limited. So we cut them some slack if they had an off week or two.

Thus our expectations of the current players is to really earn their money and perform much more consistently, as they are effectively living the dream previous generations would have killed for: professional footballer.

K 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:00 pm

Yeah, there is a lot of unprofessionalism in the AFL, but it's not just the players and Boards. Gillon & his folks are just ... <fill in the blank>.
K 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:34 am

It must be fun being Clarkson, sometimes. To be able to say with a straight face before the game that Adelaide's midfield is "much more superior" and have the media lap it up, when you've won 9 of the last 10 games against Adelaide (now 10 of 11). Footy clubs have always liked playing the underdog and talking up their opponents.

They can play these clips at the Hawthorn Christmas party, while drinking champagne out of their three recent premiership cups.

(Maybe it's fun being J Gibb, too, but that's another story.)
K 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:00 am

One week, one of our players yet to debut is declared to be Nat Fyfe. The next week, another player is declared to be G. Ablett Sr. The next week, another player is declared to be Peter Knights.

If only wins came as easily as the hype.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6   

Jump to: