Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post-match: Cats beat Pies in armwrestle. All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:33 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Our media guys have chosen Moore:

https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2019-03-25/player-of-the-week-darcy-moore
Medieval 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:35 pm

K wrote:
Our media guys have chosen Moore:

https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2019-03-25/player-of-the-week-darcy-moore

Good, he earned it. Played well and with the flair we've been lacking in the backline. Laughable that most footy journos gave Treloar BOG when he had 10 clangers. 10!

35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:25 pm

Ah we've already found players to bash in Lieu of Smith & Blair. Wasn't sure how it would go, but I gotta say I wasn't expecting Treloar.

WHEN will you people learn about football. Its a TEAM game. All THIS team has to do to win, is play our best footy for 25-45 minutes. (in a row!) Not Treloar, or Trav, or any other player, the TEAM.

This team didn't put 6 minutes of its best footy on the park, they just seemed to take it too easy, sounds insane in Rd.1, but there was a certain amount of (GOD I hate saying this) Posing. Showing off. Pissing about if you like.

A couple of guys worked hard to show their skills, in particular Moore & Billy, but it wouldn't have mattered if they were 3x better than they were, the SIDE had an attitude of "Look how clever I am", No ONE player can cause that. When we're playing the game the way we did last year against Melb., Port, In the Prelim, or the first qtr of the GF, we WIN. And when the side is doing that, NO one guy can kill us, even if he's spending the quarter seeing if he can climb the point post, others will cover.

It felt like everyone was thinking about climbing SOMETHING on Friday, just not the damn ladder. This was the SAME attitude we had against Carlton, WHERE did it come from???

I still tip us to win it all, but THAT crap has to GO! Kick the 20 goals we need each week, THEN you can fart-arse round!

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
Medieval 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:17 am

35forever wrote:
Ah we've already found players to bash in Lieu of Smith & Blair. Wasn't sure how it would go, but I gotta say I wasn't expecting Treloar.

WHEN will you people learn about football. Its a TEAM game. All THIS team has to do to win, is play our best footy for 25-45 minutes. (in a row!) Not Treloar, or Trav, or any other player, the TEAM.

This team didn't put 6 minutes of its best footy on the park, they just seemed to take it too easy, sounds insane in Rd.1, but there was a certain amount of (GOD I hate saying this) Posing. Showing off. Pissing about if you like.

A couple of guys worked hard to show their skills, in particular Moore & Billy, but it wouldn't have mattered if they were 3x better than they were, the SIDE had an attitude of "Look how clever I am", No ONE player can cause that. When we're playing the game the way we did last year against Melb., Port, In the Prelim, or the first qtr of the GF, we WIN. And when the side is doing that, NO one guy can kill us, even if he's spending the quarter seeing if he can climb the point post, others will cover.

It felt like everyone was thinking about climbing SOMETHING on Friday, just not the damn ladder. This was the SAME attitude we had against Carlton, WHERE did it come from???

I still tip us to win it all, but THAT crap has to GO! Kick the 20 goals we need each week, THEN you can fart-arse round!

Oh, 35forever... Let me put my sarcastic hat on for a second.

Wow, is football really a team game? I thought I supported individuals all of my life.

Ok, done with the sarcasm. Now get off your high horse and don't presume that others know nothing about football, it makes you sound like a goose. It's not panic stations yet and no one is saying trade/delist Treloar, so calm down. Treloar also didn't lose us the game last week. You could blame almost every player for contributing to the loss, but no one payer is responsible. JDG had a horror moment in front of goal that he won't forget soon and Flip twice shanked shots at goal from directly in front while being a smartarse.

I agree that the team needs to get better if we are to win, but given that a team is the sum of its players, wouldn't you agree that players need to get better if the team is to improve? That means doing the basics, like sprinting to tackle/chase an opponent, hitting your targets, kicking the goal the team needs when they need it.

I'm hoping last Friday is an abberation and we got the wake up call we needed. Flashy play and cute handballs don't get you in the 8, winning games does, and that's what we need to do. Forget the good looking stuff for now, and let's do the stuff that matters.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:25 am

On the other hand, 10 clangers is a lot in one game, even by Treloar's lofty standards.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:33 pm

^ Don't tempt QM67 to look up the most clangers Langers has had in a game.
Medieval 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:34 pm

K wrote:

LoL. it's 6. He's done it twice.

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:25 pm

THE WRAP

Despite the pain of last year’s Grand Final loss lingering like a bad smell due to the incessant footage of that damn goal being broadcast all pre-season (you know the one, his name rhymes with ‘f**k you Dom Sheed’) a buoyant Collingwood entered the new season with an optimistic spring in its step.

It had just added 2010 premiership hero Dayne Beams to its already impressive list, and with both Jamie Elliott and Darcy Moore feasting on a strict off-season diet of German calves’ blood, most pundits declared the Magpies a lock for deep September action, with some going so far as to predict the ultimate success for the men in black and white.

However, after Friday night’s shockingly lacklustre performance that ended in eerily similar fashion to that fateful day just six months prior, the premiership race appears as wide open as it has ever been.

During a laughably sluggish opening stanza from both rust-affected squads, Elliott reminded the football world of his elite talent by kicking three of Collingwood’s four first half goals. Remarkably, his primetime cameo was enough for an 11-point lead at the main break, as Geelong struggled its way to a paltry three majors. The Cats’ inability to break through Collingwood’s stingy defence was due in large part to the rock-solid Moore, prompting many to again contemplate what might have been had the prodigal son been declared fit during the 2018 finals series.

The third term provided more of the same error-riddled football as “Benny Hill” began trending on Twitter, before the Cats managed to slam through three unanswered goals, including one after the now customary Joel Selwood head high free kick. But like a shambolic game of tug of war, the Magpies responded with three of their own, two via the clearly underdone Jordan De Goey who remarkably could have finished with five if not for the cobwebs and brain farts. At three quarter time, scores were locked. Oh boy, here we go again.

Like a bad record on repeat, both teams continued to butcher the ball and squander a litany of chances by making the seemingly simple look ridiculously hard, with De Goey the main offender just twenty metres from goal. But his goalmouth gaffe was soon forgotten when Beams kicked his first ‘real’ goal since 2014, and when Callum Brown snapped truly from the pocket just moments later, the Magpies had regained the lead heading into time on and the “Cooolliiingwooooood” chant was unleashed for the first time in season 2019.

However, without being able to push numbers behind the ball due to Steve Hocking’s satanic masterstroke, two quick centre square clearances all but sealed Collingwood’s fate, as Geelong nailed a pair of cheap goals in as many minutes to silence the Magpie Army and break their hearts all over again.

In keeping with the theme throughout the blooper-laden night, a Jeremy howler was easily picked off in his own defensive arc to all but snuff out Collingwood’s last gasp foray forward.

THE GOOD

Welcome back Jamie Elliott and Darcy Moore.

Oh, what might have been! There’s little doubt that a fit Elliott and/or Moore in 2018 would have likely secured Collingwood’s 16th piece of silverware. It’s a painful “what if?” scenario that still keeps members of the black and white faithful up at night, even more so after the duo’s successful return to football on Friday night.

It took less an hour into the new season for Elliott to prove his A-grade credentials, kicking three of Collingwood’s four first half goals, including a crafty effort while hemmed in tight on the boundary. Elliott only knows one speed: full throttle attack on the pill. While it makes for an explosive highlight reel, it must be hell on the body. Every time the pocket dynamo launches himself into a contest, you can sense thousands of Magpie hearts in as many mouths waiting with bated breath for “Billy” to get back on his feet unscathed. Let’s hope this fan favourite stays injury-free, because he is electric to watch.

At the other end of the ground, Moore reminded everyone why he was taken with the ninth pick in the 2014 draft. Last year and still unsigned, a chorus of so-called experts debated whether he was even good enough to break into Collingwood’s best 22. After a couple of JLT games and just one round into 2019, that argument already has not aged well, with some already declaring him a likely challenger to the All Australian CHB throne. Despite his lack of playing time over the past twelve months, his reading of the ball is still as good as any, he has strong, sure hands, and is a mostly long, reliable kick. A welcome addition to an undersized defence and a standout performer on Friday night, Moore was the only Magpie to receive votes from both coaches.

Here’s hoping Dr Hans-Wilhelm Müller-Wohlfahrt fixed their ‘strings good and proper.

THE BAD

No Greenwood. No chance.

What were the match committee thinking? With in-and-under bull Taylor Adams out, Brayden Sier (aka The Bear) underdone, and man-child Rupert Wills not yet ready after missing a heap of footy, Collingwood opted to back its much vaunted and offensively-minded midfield vs the bigger-bodied Geelong midfield. Greenwood, serviceable without being remarkable throughout the JLT series, has an impressive recent record sitting on Joel Selwood and in hindsight his omission was a head scratcher. Although he won’t pick up any Brownlow votes, the Geelong skipper popped up enough times on Friday night to ultimately influence the end result, and although Callum Brown did put the Magpies in front late in the game with a peach of a snap, Greenwood would have been the safer round one bet for what is historically a sloppy first-up scrap.[/img]

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:17 am

Medieval wrote:
K wrote:

LoL. it's 6. He's done it twice.

10 was a big return for Treloar. His "top 10" are now 10, 8, 7, 7 and 6 6s. It was a career outlier for Adam, which is why I mentioned it.

Brodie and Adams are joint clubhouse leaders amongst current Collingwood players, though, with their 11s (Brodie v Gold Coast in 2016; Adams v Hawthorn in 2017).

To put a "10" in perspective, Adams is the only Collingwood player ever to average over 4 clangers per game over a season - he has done it in each of the last two seasons and, with his special effort in 2018, is the only Collingwood player ever to top the ton. Even then, his worst clanger-per game average over a season is only 4.78.

We know that Adams is occasionally quite hopeless with ball in hand, so it isn't really a cause of concern when he butchers the ball in a big way in a game or two, especially when he works as an inside mid. It happens.

Treloar, though, averages just over 3 per game over his entire career so 10 is a very bad return by his standards. It is especially problematic for the team when its classiest outside gun coughs it up every third time he has the ball in hand in one game. 21 of his 33 possessions were uncontested, so it ranks, statistically, with Phillips' momentum-killing effort against Richmond in round 19 last year.

The team "total clangers" number last week was 73, a figure "worsed" only twice last year (first, in the fantastic win against Adelaide in round 4, when Collingwood had 432 disposals in a dominant display, so that the high total clangers number - 75 - is a bit misleading; secondly, against the Wiggles in round 17). Hopefully, it is just an unfortunate outlier for Adam and the team, born of a rusty start to the year.

Tellingly, Geelong also had 73 clangers, so the stat tends to reinforce the impression that many of us had watching the game, namely that it was a sub-par game of football that failed to reach any great heights.

Langdon had 1. Only Pendlebury had none. Nevertheless, Qld probably has a persuasive argument for why the Future Captain's single clanger last week cost us last year's Grand Final.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:15 am

Callum Brown apart from a goal kicked made little impact against Cats

Is Tyler a better option to make the AFL side

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:27 am

Not at this stage, now. Tyler will likely be the better of the two in the medium term.
K 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:49 am

The media are talking up the possibility. They claimed he was good as an inside mid against Geebung VFL.
K 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:50 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
Langdon had 1. ...

I guess that must have been the OOF kicked from HBF.

The falcon was only a clanger from his face's perspective. (Maybe Langers was awarded a one-percenter for that.)

https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2019-03-22/highlights-langdon-falcon
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:54 am

He’d be down the pecking order methinks—asked on Sier Bucks made the usual “he’s in the mix” thing but mentioned Wills without being prompted

Tyler was impressive in JLT —-his time will come IMO before Cal

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:37 am

Callum Brown did not have a good game, but at some stage we have to blood these young players, otherwise we will never improve. While Greenwood is a hardened warrior, he’s clearly near the end of his career, so should not be spoken of as our saviour. If a hard inside mid is required, I’d prefer to see Wills come in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 17 of 19   

Jump to: