Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post-match: Cats beat Pies in armwrestle. All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:56 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

piedys wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:
We missed Adams and his clearance skills
WHE always pops up for a goal or 2 and balances our forward line

Should be glaringly obvious by now that Adams is now our important player behind Grundy; both these blokes are our barometers.

Not likely to sight either Adams or WHE for a few weeks, ....

Shows the talent of the GWS list, doesn't it?

GWS have just had lots of injuries. (Otherwise they could have saved the AFL from unworthy premiers like Rich.)
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:16 pm

Of course they're talented - they have Shaw and Keeffe.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:18 pm

The fact that the dreamons got belted and scoreless in the last quarter, took the edge off our loss.

www.facebook/the hybernators
K 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:43 pm

^ A bit of a worry when we need to look to others' games for pleasure.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:25 pm

While I've come to the conclusion it's unwise to make any hard and fast rules linking tackle count to performance our total of 49 against Geelong was well down on our 2018 season average of 68.

Last season we only fell below that mark twice with 48 tackles against Essendon on Anzac Day that concluded with a win and 42 tackles in our loss against West Coast in round 17.

Interesting perhaps that in our round 8 loss to Geelong last season we recorded our second highest tackle count for the season with 84.

Our season high tackle count of 104 came in the Grand Final.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:25 am

^ Interesting numbers, Swoop.

I think across the board, round 1 produced some strange and unexpected results. Many sides including us seemed well off the pace. I just wonder whether the removal of the third JLT game has contributed to this whereby sides with longer pre-season preparation had a distinct advantage.

Only three of the top eight sides of the previous year won on the weekend. The last time that happened in the first round was in 1997.

Also, only one side from the top 4 last year won this weekend which occurred for the first time since 2007. Though in 2007, two top 4 sides from 2006 played one another.

Therefore, this is the first time in decades where only one side from the top 4 of the previous year won their first round match despite playing opponents outside the top 4 of the previous year.

One way or another, this is the strangest opening round of football I can recall in my lifetime

K 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:30 am

Jezza wrote:
... I just wonder whether the removal of the third JLT game has contributed to this whereby sides with longer pre-season preparation had a distinct advantage.

I doubt that, because the clubs just put in their own practice matches (e.g. Coll v Melb). Far worse was last year, when all clubs had to do the AFLX rubbish. Our club should have been ruthless and pulled out our four AFLXers, none of whom played well in R1.

It may just be that all teams are mediocre, so there are lots of alleged "upsets" that are not really upsetting. Bris, GWS, Freo at home don't seem strange in retrospect. (Same for the Dogs, I'd say.) The interstate home-ground advantage looks huge. Haw have now won 10 out of their past 11 against Adelaide. No surprises there in retrospect. Port is my pick for the biggest upset, but at this time last year after they loaded up in trade period people were picking them for the premiership. Maybe everyone was a year out. None of the results on its own is really strange in retrospect.

It's different in e.g. EPL. EPL is very predictable, because so many teams have no chance at all of winning and a small group of very powerful, very wealthy clubs dominates every year, the only difference being which members of that group do it.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:35 am

swoop42 wrote:
While I've come to the conclusion it's unwise to make any hard and fast rules linking tackle count to performance our total of 49 against Geelong was well down on our 2018 season average of 68.

Last season we only fell below that mark twice with 48 tackles against Essendon on Anzac Day that concluded with a win and 42 tackles in our loss against West Coast in round 17.

Interesting perhaps that in our round 8 loss to Geelong last season we recorded our second highest tackle count for the season with 84.

Our season high tackle count of 104 came in the Grand Final.

I think that’s a very relevant stat as part of the overall performance.
Firstly, it was the lowest number for the entire round of footy and I’m guessing that will be highlighted in the meetings ( as it should )
That number would be well below all clubs KPIs ( pre 6 6 6 at least )
I think it further highlights the loss of Adams is significant in a number of areas. His attack on the ball sets the tone ( and would have at least got us closer to Essendons tackle count on the weekend )
I posted in the game day thread that we weren’t sticking our tackles often enough. It wasn’t that we weren’t interested in tackling, more that we weren’t fully prepared for occasion. That may seem unacceptable but again, we see this so often in round one.
We will know more after Thursday night. You would imagine we will be ferocious and I would expect a much higher tackle count, win lose or draw.
Medieval 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:38 am

ANNODAM wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Treloar 10 clangers. Really?

I HATE HATE HATE Treloar, I wish he would fk right off!

I don't know about hate, but I've never put Treloar on the same pedestal that others have by labelling him "a gun" or "a champion". How? What has he ever done? He looks lazy at times and jogs a lot. Sure, he has a burst every now and then and updates his highlight reel with a long, running goal from 50, but that isn't the stuff that wins games consistently. He disappoints me a lot. I want to love him, but he needs to earn it. He needs to show me he deserves all of the praise some people give him. He needs to show me he's worth the two first round picks we gave up to get him.

K 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:42 am

It's not his fault we paid two first-rounders for him.
Just as it's not Tay's fault we paid Heater for him.

If you must blame people, blame our trade guys.

Why would he "need to show" anyone anything?
simon tonna 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:42 am

Isn't funny how people insist on taking things as minor as a bad game of footy personally and then posting there feelings for all to see behind their alter ego avatar.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:31 am

simon tonna wrote:
Isn't funny how people insist on taking things as minor as a bad game of footy personally and then posting there feelings for all to see behind their alter ego avatar.

Talk about some massive uber reactions to game 1.

We lost a match (that we should have won) by........ wait for it........7 points

Imagine if we'd lost by 8

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:42 am

Big Dan wrote:
Round #1 last year we played the Hawks, got flogged and everyone thought "here we go again".

Last nights match actually deserved a draw. Neither side could kick a goal to save themselves. Both had ample chances to put each other away but didn't.

IMHO positive is I don't believe they could not have played any worse.

Pendles set shot choke, De Goey's brain fade handball, Howe's direct kick to the opposition towards the end of the 4th - 3 goal difference. Disregard not putting them to the sword in the first half - should have been 6+ goals up then.

Would have preferred the win but not overly despondent with they way they lost.

Well said and "nice" perspective big Dan. Agree with your views here.

WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:15 pm

I think we also lost we failed to get the basics right and instead pissed around with the ball and didn't use it effectively. We tried to be too cute and clever with little dinky kicks and taps to keep the ball in play when it was unnecessary to do so. Jdg's handball to Thomas should not have happened - not when you're 20 out from goal directly in front. Phillips running into an open goal and kicks a nana and misses. Seriously, drop punt the bloody thing. Tackles went missed. We were out muscled and out hustled. No awareness. We looked slow and underdone.
Medieval 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:33 pm

K wrote:
It's not his fault we paid two first-rounders for him.
Just as it's not Tay's fault we paid Heater for him.

If you must blame people, blame our trade guys.

Why would he "need to show" anyone anything?

It's called "earning your spot", K. If he wants to stay in the team, he "needs to show" that he is desreving of a start in the 22. If we're going to play him simply because we bent over backwards to get him, we're playing with mediocrity.

It's not that I don't think he's worth the two first rounders, because I think he is. I just think that his great games are too few and far between. Maybe he's unfit, who knows, but after two top 3 finishes in our B&F and then not making the top 10 last year after still playing 17 games, I want him to have a big year, and he won't get there by jogging.

Last edited by Medieval on Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 16 of 19   

Jump to: