Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

New Zealand terror attack at mosque

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:42 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Say something bad about Islam and you get leapt on like Egg Boi but anti semetic stuff, particularly when it comes from a Muslim, slides straight through to the keeper. Dare to call it out, like Chelsea Clinton did, you get branded Islamaphobic and a hate speech peddler.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:52 am

Just some food for thought.

This is an interesting article about the 3 different kinds of Islam and the knife edge Europe currently sits on.

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2018/05/akbar-ahmed-islam-europe/559391/

Other interesting facts. New Zealand has been rightly praised for it's inclusiveness and how welcoming they are to people of different cultures. Yet, it's refugee intake has been less than 25% of Australia's per capita.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/calls-for-new-zealand-to-increase-dismal-refugee-intake

They have also had in place since 2009 quota restrictions on taking refugees from the middle east and Africa.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refugees_in_New_Zealand

So their approach seems to have been to allow in very few refugees from "trouble spots" but for those they bring in, they throw their arms around them even trialling a community sponsorship approach.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/108889889/govt-urged-to-make-refugee-community-sponsorship-pilot-programme-permanent

I don't have particular point here, New Zealand's approach seems to have worked well, but if everyone copied it there would be millions of refugees awaiting settlement.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:19 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Just some food for thought.

This is an interesting article about the 3 different kinds of Islam and the knife edge Europe currently sits on.

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2018/05/akbar-ahmed-islam-europe/559391/

The three kinds to which the interviewee refers are in fact three sociological variations common to most groups. In any Christian denomination, for example, you get literalists (i.e., fundamentalists), spirituals (i.e., those who don't hold to fundamentalist boundaries, but find meaning in received practices and the religion as is), and modernisers (i.e., liberals).

To varying extents, these sub-groups can be found in model train clubs and beer tasting societies at one end of the scale, and political parties, cultures and nations at the other.

For the literalist who hangs his hat on dubious certainties such as original documents, original rights, distinctive in-group marks, purity of membership, and punishment and reward, the mortal enemy who must be eliminated is always and ever the modernist. The successful existence of the modernist is a dire threat because it proves that the fundamentalist fear mongering is false, and challenges the false certainties.

Needless to say, the hatred of modernisers and their success is an old theme, but one worth reflecting on. It offers a potential explanation why those of few means might vote away their own healthcare or choose to decrease their own protections; the price of punishing the moderniser is always one worth paying.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:16 pm

Yeah, slightly different context here. The Islamic literalist's are a short step removed from the extremeists which give birth to ISIS and al qaeda and if present history is any guide, the literalists are winning.

Islamic societies are tracking more toward literalism and fundamentalism than modernism. Just look at the evidence.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:37 pm

A guy charged with posting on social media supporting the Christchurch massacre, police found a loaded unlicensed fire arm and a couple of flick knives in his house, released on bail on the condition he doesn't access the internet.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-02/alleged-christchurch-supporter-fails-to-overturn-internet-ban/10963092

How the **** do you enforce that?

Yes, Police could monitor his known social media profiles to see if he posts anything, but it would be easy to create new ones.

If he has internet at home, they could monitor it or order it turned off and they could probably track his mobile internet use on his phone, but getting a pre paid sim card is piss easy.

So, I repeat, how do you really enforce that and, if it's not enforceable, why order it?

Watching Netflix requires accessing the internet, so does internet banking, online betting, the Centrelink App, etc. Wouldn't it be smarter to be more specific like ordering him to not post anything regarding the Christchurch Massacre or Islam in general, give him rope and monitor his and his friends social media accounts?

I don't have any sympathy for this tool if he actually wrote things supporting the massacre of innocent people, but breaching bail because the missus put on Netflix and you watched it is a bit rough. If he's that big of a threat, just don't give him bail.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:32 pm

Why the hell would you post that stuff if you have an unregistered firearm? It was pretty common knowledge that police and intelligence services were coming down hard on anything that looked like someone who was going to copycat this guy so why would you red flag yourself? Dude was either already on a watchlist or someone dobbed him in, either way despite the obvious issue of over surveillance and questionable policing this guy is a moron.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:58 pm

^

Him being a moron is, I think, not up for debate. It's a given.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:29 am

This dickhead can quite easily pay a third party internet provider to run his website and forward emails in written form etc. But I doubt anyone will want to employ him anyway.
K 

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 12:52 pm

Kiwi media agree to avoid ideology in reporting trial of Christchurch accused

https://www.theage.com.au/world/oceania/kiwi-media-agree-to-avoid-ideology-in-reporting-trial-of-christchurch-accused-20190502-p51jcg.html

"But free speech advocates have argued that New Zealand's Chief Censor David Shanks went too far when he banned Tarrant's manifesto soon after the attacks. The ban means anybody caught with the document on their computer could face up to 10 years in prison, while anyone caught sending it could face 14 years."
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 1:02 pm

Yeah, that doesn't sit well with me either.
K 

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 7:34 pm

"And Danish journalist Claus Blok Thomsen, who ... covered the trial of Norwegian right-wing extremist *** ... said in March that there were dangers in censoring ***. He said media agreed to similar restrictions ..., which pleased many so-called experts but angered some of the families of victims.

"They said when we start to censor ourselves, we just make him into a martyr," Thomsen said. "We are not able to learn how mad this guy was, what his thinking was, until everything is out in the light." "

How is that a good argument? The people who might hope to "learn how mad this guy was" are not the general public. For the general public, it's at best just voyeurism.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 7:34 pm

Guess I'm not taking my PC to NZ then, I downloaded a copy of it to get an insight into what motivated him to do this, and I suspect I wasn't the only one who did that.

Having a copy of Mien Kamph doesn't make you a Nazi, having a copy of that manifesto doesn't make you a white supremacist.

I also have a copy of the Unabombers manifesto, but haven't blown anything up. recently.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 7:52 pm

You have the manifesto and the bush shack so you're on your way.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 8:18 pm

I also have an attic in the bush shack. Wink
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:08 pm

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-09-11/brisbane-mosque-vandalised-with-christchurch-references/11501684

Among the symbols plastered on the exterior walls was a Nazi swastika and the words "St Tarrant" and "Remove Kebabs".

Holland Park mosque president, Ali Kadri, said he was devastated but not surprised by the attack.

"Obviously St Tarrant is a reference to Brenton Tarrant, the terrorist who killed people in Christchurch," Mr Kadri said.

"And 'Remove Kebabs' was written on his gun when he was shooting people at the mosques."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11   

Jump to: