Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

New Zealand terror attack at mosque

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:32 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Erdogan really centre-right? I thought he was pretty far-right (in the Putin/Bolsonaro/Orban authoritarian model), to be honest.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:54 pm

David wrote:
Is Erdogan really centre-right? I thought he was pretty far-right (in the Putin/Bolsonaro/Orban authoritarian model), to be honest.

PTID is being particularly generous.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:04 pm

David wrote:

He's been moving further right to win elections in that great Republican and Tory tradition, garnering powers for an unchecked executive in the American mould.

The people to the right of him to which he is opportunistically kowtowing are far more extreme – in the same way evangelical apocalypticists, gun wavers, women's right underminers, conflagration preparers, and impure race purgers are more extreme than Trump.

All he's trying to do, after all, is Make Turkey Great Again.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:17 pm

I read somewhere that with him in charge, Turkey is no longer considered a democracy under several indicators including free and fair elections and freedom of the press. He's apparently been putting journos an opposition in gaol.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:33 pm

stui magpie wrote:
I read somewhere that with him in charge, Turkey is no longer considered a democracy under several indicators including free and fair elections and freedom of the press. He's apparently been putting journos an opposition in gaol.

In the Turkish context, he's far more moderate than you imagine. In fact, he started as a moderate hope, but then the economy slowed and he turned to the far right for votes, much like the Anglo-Americn right and Trump over his lifetime. Erdogan too hates fake news, bullies journalists, uses extremist rags to spread his views, and applies executive vetoes to resolve imaginary crises.

But no matter how far right you imagine he is, no one has the misjudgement to blame Turkish progressives for badgering Turkish extremism into existence. Like all fundamentalism it's just there, ready for an economic downturn or nationalist moment.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:45 pm

Does Turkey even have any living progressives who aren't incarcerated or in exile?
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:51 pm

The analogy is startling though, isn't it? Trump simply has years of wealthy democracy around him.

Even the attempted bullying of New Zealand was reminisce of Trump's ranting and raving about making Mexico pay for a wall, and threatening it economically.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:54 pm

When he does it on Twitter i'll acknowledge the similarities. Wink
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:01 pm

Arden has announced changes to the NZ gun laws, but as they seem to being misreported, I'll hold fire on commenting in detail.

Despite reports they will ban all semi automatic weapons, it seems like the ban only applies to Military style ones which, under their definition (MSSA) leaves a fair loophole still potentially.

Not banning semi auto shotguns was sensible, but I'm unclear on rifles.

Still, regardless of whether she's gone far enough, she has spiked debate in the US. AOC made a comparison between the US 6 years after Sandy Hook and NZ a week after Christchurch.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:26 pm

I’m beginning to think that opinions like Anning’s – that the Christchurch victims brought it on themselves – aren’t really a fringe view in this country in any way. Look at the YouTube comments on the video of Scott Morrison being interviewed by Waleed Aly, or just snatches of conversation you catch on public transport or the shops. If you think this terrorist act will be some kind of wake-up call to the right or the general public, think again – if anything, it’s being interpreted as further justification of their anti-Muslim views.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:30 pm

David wrote:
I’m beginning to think that opinions like Anning’s – that the Christchurch victims brought it on themselves – aren’t really a fringe view in this country in any way. Look at the YouTube comments on the video of Scott Morrison being interviewed by Waleed Aly, or just snatches of conversation you catch on public transport or the shops. If you think this terrorist act will be some kind of wake-up call to the right or the general public, think again – if anything, it’s being interpreted as further justification of their anti-Muslim views.

People are, legitimately, afraid of Islam. I mean, can you give me one example where Islam has brought any good to anywhere it's spread?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:05 pm

I could, as could anyone with an inkling about global history and the complexities of colonisation, cultural integration/assimilation and empire, but thanks for backing up my comment – you’re definitely the kind of person I’m thinking about.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:59 pm

Skids wrote:
David wrote:

People are, legitimately, afraid of Islam. I mean, can you give me one example where Islam has brought any good to anywhere it's spread?

Skids, you're afraid of god knows how many things you work yourself up into a lather over, consuming as you do one alarmist meme or talking point after another.

Doing this to yourself is the equivalent of being a hypochondriac hunting for new symptoms and diseases every night on junk medical sites. Some extreme hypochondriacs eventually snap, mortgaging everything they have their to pay for full body scans in a bid to eliminate all possible risks.

The internet gives all kinds of disassociated thoughts a false sense of validation, fooling otherwise sane people into thinking that other fine and healthy citizens hold the same ideas. This eventually turns throwaway mental wanderings into go-to thought patterns and routines. The mockery which follows only serves to reinforce the patterns, encouraging greater commitment through the taking up of arms against enemies — all still abstractions, but given false grounding through the use of real events and characters, and a smattering of genuine fears and grievances.

Then, having committed so much of themselves for so long to this disassociated mental arena, and with this immature defense mechanism now habituated in both thought and behaviour, it becomes impossible to let go. And besides, the person now has little alternative life beyond this.

Of course, we know that people become addicted to poisoning themselves in this and many others ways because it brings short-term pleasure and relief, distracting from whatever other life crap is going on. Needless to say, many of us here including yours truly have fallen into this trap to varying extents.

Or not. But it's worth considering the pitfalls.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:07 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
Cam wrote:
People are radicalised by hate speech. Doesn't matter what colour or creed they are. It's hate speech that needs to be eliminated. 'Fighting back' means you just become what you are hating in the first place, a killer of innocents, a terror creator, a terror-ist.

Yes - and Nick's is making its own small contribution to that process. The racist Yiannopolous is not now allowed into Australia and Franus is told, repeatedly, by politicians from all sides (including One Notion) that his comments have no place in our political discourse but posts of that same general tenor are permitted here, over and over again. The Mods need to take a good hard look, lest the Feds ban this site.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/journals/ANZCompuLawJl/2014/4.pdf

https://law.unimelb.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0014/2471000/Mason-and-Czapski-411-Advance.pdf

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-28/facebook-to-ban-white-nationalism-and-white-separatism/10946990
Yes, folks - a good, hard look.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:57 am

Here we go again. Muslim clerical anti-semtitism has no limits FFS:

"....Last Saturday, Ahmed Bhamji, chairman of the Mt Roskill Masjid E Umar, gave a speech at a rally for the victims in Auckland's Aotea Square.

In his speech, Bhamji said he suspected the gunman got his funding from Mossad and "Zionist business".

"I stand here and I say I have a very, very strong suspicion that there's some group behind him and I am not afraid to say I feel Mossad is behind this," he can be heard saying in video footage...."

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12217016

I heard the Mossad caused the selction committee to omit Greenwood from last weeks side against Geelong Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11   

Jump to: