Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What should or shouldn’t be shown on TV?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:19 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

K wrote:
Skids wrote:
I don't think AWFL is worthy of being on TV, not on a pay TV station anyway.

Does it predispose you to violence?

No, just extreme bouts of sexism, it seems!

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:55 pm

I had to do a double take when I realised there was a thread split.

To answer the question in the title, TV is a broad medium with lots of FTA stations, streaming platforms and other pay TV options and people are a broad audience with lots of variety in tastes.

So basically, TV shows what they think will get an audience and therefore attract advertisers /subscribers.

We already have a censorship board that classifies film and TV programs, they seem to do a decent job overall, so I don't see what the problem is.

As for the question about depicting Rape, I really doubt that any item of media whether it be movie, TV or doco that was seen to be supporting Rape as a fun family activity would even get made let alone get past the censors. As far as depicting it at all, I point to the 1988 Jodie Foster movie, The Accused as a class movie that had a fairly graphic depiction of a rape.

In regards to Skids comment about the AFLW, I see you and raise you Married at First Sight and the Batchelor/batchelorette series.

Given the choice of watching MAFS or AFLW for 12 hours straight or shooting myself in the head, I'd watch AFLW but ask them to leave the gun.
Razz Wink

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:02 pm

nah, they have better fights in MAFS!! (i watch in fast forward, and just slow the good bits, its hysterical!!)

David, sorry but i have to disagree, its not sexism, its just bloody terrible to watch! ive tried, ive really tried, but its just awful. not helped by the fact that our team could get done by a little league team, OMG so bad.

K 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:53 am

David wrote:
K wrote:
Skids wrote:
I don't think AWFL is worthy of being on TV, not on a pay TV station anyway.

Does it predispose you to violence?

No, just extreme bouts of sexism, it seems!

But you don't believe it tipped anyone over the edge.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:50 am

Certainly not!
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:00 am

The celebrations after the 2018 grand final, seriously **** off with that, put me in gitmo but set me free from that memory, talk about tip me over the $£$%^%%$ edge, GRRRR
K 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:26 am

David might like this ("What kinds of movies, video games, and music are we making?"):

A similar one (but this is getting away from the thread topic):

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:52 am

I dunno, I actually hate this genre of meme because pointing out double standards and hypocrisy on the other side is the easiest thing in the world (because you don't have to look far in any ideological grouping to find hypocrisy and double standards), but it's not actually a replacement for an intellectual argument. In this case, the meme designer is pointing out the way racial prejudice affects responses to violence – and fair enough – but what are they suggesting to us about the straw mainstream/conservative response to the white shooter they're offering? Is it good? Is it bad? Would it be okay if we were treating those shootings as simplistically as we are treating those committed by minorities, or should we be using the lower response for all such shootings? Ultimately we aren't given any indication, and that's probably because the person designing the meme hasn't even seriously considered these questions – "the other side are hypocrites" is about as far as it goes for them.

That's just oneupmanship, ultimately – a glorified pissing contest. We can do better.

K 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:22 am

Re. the latest shooter, the tabloid is running with the story that he became obsessed with "violent video games". (I have not seen details.) Of course, if that's true, we still don't know what is causal and what is symptomatic.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:38 am

Yeah, like Marilyn Manson caused Columbine. The media are pathetic.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:15 pm

I dont know anyone with that opinion in the meme, everyone ive spoken to says the same thing, damn shame he didnt swallow a bullet. (I havent had a private conversation with David about it so thats still true!!) thoughts and prayers are for the victims in every situation. id be hoping we dont have enough moronic people who would think thats a viable defence, to make any kind of ripple.

i would really like to see a complete survey done in the US, im not convinced the gun lobby would win. certainly not for the full weapon range they have.

on video games while i dont think you cam blame them, certainly they make it easier to imagine firing a real gun, and its target practice. combine that with drugs and its not good. you can say the same for yippee kayak mother £$%$er movies too, which i admit to devouring. problem is we are passed solving that problem, because they aint going away.

i dont accept excuses such as childhood trauma, blah blah blah, because i do believe in free will, but i do think a lot of the problem is as simple as not enough done to identify and cure or at least assist with mental illness. and chucking ADHD drugs at kids, in epidemic quantities, is not helping.

Is the Port Arthur killer getting mental health assistance? i believe hes virtually in solitary confinement for his own safety.

I watched a show this morning called kids that kill, in Florida they are trying to overturn a mandatory life sentence with no parole for kids who kill. It was really hard to watch and really thought provoking. A 14 year old boy killed an 8 year old, because he accidentally hurt her with a baseball, and he was scared of his fathers reaction, so he killed her with the bat, and stabbed her for good measure. and then plunked the poor girls body in the base of his water bed, where his mum found it a few days later. this was 19 years ago. And a girl who helped her boyfriend kill an old man for his car. they were the test case for new laws. but neither was granted the chance for release anytime in the future. After listening to the girls family talk, i understand why, but then adults get out after x amount of years for murder 2 and manslaughter. Is it fair to put a life long judgement on a 15 year old? but then how can you be 100 percent certain they wont go troppo again? The James Bulgar case is a prime example of what if.

I do believe some people are just born bad, but just as someone who ends up that way through an horrific childhood, its still a mental illness. how do you fix that and keep the public safe?

I admit I hope this killer expires in some way quickly, in my mind hes given up his right to life, and while hes alive he has the chance to cause further distress to the victims and their families. the waste of money housing him is secondary. And i konw that goes against what you believe David, and i fully respect that. I actually admire that you find good in everybody.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:18 pm

those bloody question marks might ip me over the edge!!!
K 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:40 pm

think positive wrote:
I dont know anyone with that opinion in the meme, ...

Well, those two jpgs clearly originated in the US. The quote I'm guessing is the real word-for-word quote from the WH at the time after the last high-school mass shooting, when there were (by their standards) some calls for gun control.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:55 am

K wrote:
think positive wrote:
I dont know anyone with that opinion in the meme, ...

Well, those two jpgs clearly originated in the US. The quote I'm guessing is the real word-for-word quote from the WH at the time after the last high-school mass shooting, when there were (by their standards) some calls for gun control.

I’ve had this conversation with a lot of people in the states, taxi drivers, mums in the hotel laundry, I talk to everyone! They all want some level of gun control, but th3 worry is that criminals will still hav3 the high powered stuff.

I have to admit I see where the memescomes from though.

K 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:50 pm

Government urged to revisit consumer advice for suicide scenes

https://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/movies/government-urged-to-revisit-consumer-advice-for-suicide-scenes-20190319-p515ho.html

"... New Zealand's classification board updated its consumer advice for Oscar-winning film A Star Is Born. The government body added a suicide warning to the film, which stars Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga..."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8   

Jump to: