Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Buckley's weekly interview with Gerard Whateley in 2019

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:28 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

On the MM parts:

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-06-05/im-an-enemy-in-his-eyes-buckleymalthouse-feud-erupts-again

"I'm one of the bodies on the side of the road.

"I've got great respect for Mick in some areas. He's always been himself. He's never really cared for what people think of him. Rat cunning, a master manipulator and got success from that and all credit to him …

"Mick and I don't get on.

"He doesn't want to know about me because I'm now an enemy in his eyes, and he will rewrite history to make sure that was always the case.

"But I think I understand Mick. He was a young kid scrapping to put that next meal on the plate and that drove him. That was his attitude through his whole life.

"I think, understanding that, I can see the positive in who he is and what he has been able to do, let alone the numbers."
Deja Vu 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:37 pm

To be honest, it’s a fair assessment of Malthouse by Buckley. I get why Mick left when he did and the way he did. Confrontation and conflict were Mick’s forte and it was a successful formula for him. He’s a legendary coach and a Collingwood hero.

I remember Mick talking about having to “break” Buckley as a player when he first arrived because he felt he had too much influence over the group. That was his style.

Buckley has done well to hold his tongue this whole time. It’s a shame in a way but as Buckley says - it is what it is

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:42 pm

Sad that 8 years on this still festers. But anyone with an ounce of a brain knew it wasn't going to work

MM didn't want to go, We didn't want NB to go elsewhere = TROUBLE

Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:55 pm

ffs we don’t need these side distractions right now
just ignore him bucks
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:04 pm

Woods Of Ypres wrote:
ffs we don’t need these side distractions right now
just ignore him bucks

Agreed I haven't heard the interview in the context , but its time to move on.

www.facebook/the hybernators
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:17 pm

Absolute media beat-up, Bucks didn't instigate the talk and he answered the question pretty diplomatically and assertively. Muck-raking journalism at its worst.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:51 pm

Just watched 7 news.

Buckley comes off pretty badly with what was shown.

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:06 pm

Bucks has summed Malthouse up perfectly. He’s been silent on it forever and he’s now just come out and said what he thinks cos he’s clearly at peace with the whole situation. I’d hardly call it a feud. It’s all be one sided. I doubt Bucks hates Mick but Mick hates Bucks. No question, cos he took something that was his.
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:16 pm

The Hall of Fame induction for Malthouse has been coming for a long time - its not a surprise. In the lead-up I suspect that go-betweens (eg. Eddie) have tried to resolve the outstanding friction between Malthouse and Buckley. After all, this is the event at which to clear the air. It is the final milestone on Malthouse's AFL career. And his acceptance speech was a golden opportunity to acknowledge all those who helped him along the way. But Malthouse was silent on Buckley, and his silence was a loud message to the Who's Who of the AFL who were present at the dinner.

For a long time Buckley has been nothing but neutral (or indeed complimentary) when asked about the Malthouse legacy and the "transition" that Eddie engineered. Last night was the last time that Malthouse had the opportunity to say 'thanks, Bucks" along with thanking many others.

But no, he didn't. So now Buckley can say what he honestly feels in the knowledge that Malthouse will never bury the hatchet and will remain bitter till the day he dies.
tbaker 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:50 pm

Woods wrote:
So now Buckley can say what he honestly feels in the knowledge that Malthouse will never bury the hatchet and will remain bitter till the day he dies.

But why now while he's still at the helm at Collingwood? Should've waited until his reign as coach is over. Now it's just going to be over-scrutinized and is a distraction we don't need, especially in a season where we're one of the few teams with a realistic prospect of winning the flag. That should be the sole focus - not getting baited into slanging matches with a past club dignitary - there is absolutely nothing to gain from it (from a club's perspective).

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:53 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
Just watched 7 news.

oh rubbish, he does not.

Personally, it's good to see Bucks honest and not reading from the officially sanctioned club script.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:56 pm

mountain..... mole hill.

ffs, how pathetic does it get?!

Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:20 pm

tbaker wrote:
Woods wrote:
So now Buckley can say what he honestly feels in the knowledge that Malthouse will never bury the hatchet and will remain bitter till the day he dies.

But why now while he's still at the helm at Collingwood? Should've waited until his reign as coach is over. Now it's just going to be over-scrutinized and is a distraction we don't need, especially in a season where we're one of the few teams with a realistic prospect of winning the flag. That should be the sole focus - not getting baited into slanging matches with a past club dignitary - there is absolutely nothing to gain from it (from a club's perspective).

Why Now? Because Malthouse, by his failure to a least give a nod to his successor at Collingwood insulted Buckley in front of all the AFL hierarchy and the footy media. All ears were waiting for it but it never came.

Buckley was then asked today about his relationship with Malthouse and he answered. But make no mistake, Malthouse engineered this quite deliberately. So if there is any angered by supporters, direct it at Mick. He started it.

Will the players be distracted? For all but a few it is previous to their arrival at the club. They have no skin in it. Indeed they might like the focus to shift on to the coach for a spell, rather than on them. For others who lived through the times (eg. Pendlebury, Goldsack) I think they are well mature enough to deal with it.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:31 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
Just watched 7 news.

oh rubbish, he does not.

Personally, it's good to see Bucks honest and not reading from the officially sanctioned club script.

It was shit....just as it would be shit if, say, Lumumba or Jolly spoke up about their relationship with NB the day after he was inducted in to the HoF.

It showed a complete and utter lack of judgment and, unfortunately, a lack of class.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:46 pm

Woods wrote:

Why Now? Because Malthouse, by his failure to a least give a nod to his successor at Collingwood insulted Buckley in front of all the AFL hierarchy and the footy media. All ears were waiting for it but it never came.

Exactly Woods - MM had the opportunity to be dignified and stately while delivering his thanks, but instead he ignited the fire again by apparently saying in interviews last night that he left the Director position because Bucks wouldn't allow him to play the role effectively. When it was his night to shine, MM chose to go down the path of revenge.

MM has sniped at Bucks continually ever since the change over and Bucks has buttoned his lip and remained dignified and stoic in his responses. Obviously, he's human and between last night and this morning he must have decided he'd had a gut full and it was time to reveal his honest views about the matter. Good on him I say, for standing up to a bully.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 4 of 12   

Jump to: