Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Buckley's weekly interview with Gerard Whateley in 2019

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:32 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Woods.

This is interesting:
Quote:
Sliding rule - “Once again, you can’t tell the difference between what’s deliberate and what’s accidental, so it makes it pretty tough to adjudicate”. AFL needs to “prioritise which one’s more important to you - the head contact and potential trauma or the leg contact and potential trauma, because I don’t think you can have both”.

Assuming that players continue to go to ground in an effort to possess the ball, as it has always been, that's a very clear cut and logical statement!! Well done Bucks.
K 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:10 pm

This is not Buckley, nor is it Whateley, but it is Josh Thomas & Damian Barrett:

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=358917

"Probably should have won back-to-back premierships."

Well thanks, Josh, for reminding us...

"Even on my ban, I'd watch 2-3 games a week."

Topics included:

Working in a garlic-bread factory; Lachie K.; the challenge playing high half-forward; looking young and being mistaken for Jamie; studying for a business degree; player interest in shares and investment; S. Murray; patchy team form to start 2019.
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:48 pm

Sam McClure standing in for an absent Whateley for this morning’s interview with Buckley.

(Note: seems the interview has settled into a Monday morning spot this year, instead of Wednesday morning as it generally was last year).

Topics covered included:

Tiger Woods’ comeback win in the Masters. Is Buckley a golfer? “I find there’s better ways to spend five spare hours than go round the golf course. So no”.

Pies game style on Friday night against Dogs: “Yeah, we went about it pretty well. Really rate the Bulldogs and their capacity to win ground ball and contested ball”, and “the 2016 flag was built on a swarm mentality, outnumber at the contest, and they’re so clean with their hands, flick it around then get it in their front half then lock it away”. “Strong elements of that coming back early this year”, and “had some pretty solid wins”. Pies showed will to win especially in last quarter.

Were Pies “seduced” into playing a game style of slow, deliberate build-up off half-back and a possession/mark/kick style? Trying to play perfect footy that worked against Richmond? Buckley: “Seduced is an interesting word for it, but I think we’ve fallen into it a little bit“ and "We’re still tinkering”.

“Coaching our boys is something like driving an F1 car, they’re very responsive”. Players sometimes over-react to coaches’ messages. A good thing but something Buckley is taking steps to manage. Players are free to express themselves on the ground and adjust play. “Still looking for that balance.”

"We’re not playing as freely as we did towards the end of last year… remember that Home-&-Away for us is about evolution and we’re still trying to impose a game style for us that is going to be consistent against any opposition.”

Buckley says Pies started season slowly but have played some decent footy and pretty happy with progress.

Reaction to Hawthorn coach Clarkson that the game has become “lost” as a result of the new rule changes: Buckley: Coaching philosophy can change. Eg. Geelong and St Kilda are playing a more surge style of footy. “I don’t think rule changes have had as significant an impact as some people would suggest”.

But why is scoring down across the comp.? Buckley: Early season games are high intensity with fit players. Then after several rounds some players start feeling “banged-up” for the first time, and need to go through to the next level of game conditioning. Right now there have still been too few games played to make “rash calls” (but offers deference to the great man Clarkson).

Hoskin-Elliot close to return? - Buckley: Yes, expect him to possibly play VFL in two weeks. Then a matter of when is the right time to introduce him into the seniors.

Why aren’t taggers more in vogue?: Buckley: Need to be sure the tagger “can do the job” on their opposition target. “Having a stopper in your squad is definitely a necessity” and “Tagging in the mid-field is no different than defending - a back playing on a forward. Its designed to blunt their offensive capability”. “There’s a few things against it [tagging] but… we’ve had Levi run-with at times, Chris Mayne has done it, James Aish has done it, Pendles did it on Cripps last year and played on Bontepelli at the weekend and they went head-to-head at stoppage.” So others tag apart from Greenwood.

Greenwood’s primary position is as a high back “and he understands that”. Other players have been in front of Greenwood to play that role - eg Crisp, Aish, Maynard, Langdon. “We chose not to go with a run with against Geelong”. Still trying to work out if an “absolute negater” like Greenwood should be a permanent part of the mid-field mix - “it does change our dynamic a little bit and we have time to work that out”.

On Chris Mayne’s injury - “He’s really sore”. A few cracks in bone causing painful muscle spasm. “Will miss a couple of weeks” His return will much depend on how long before the spasm subsides and how freely he can move over next few weeks. “It’s a significant knock” but “he’s a pretty tough character”.

Pressures of coaching, eg Bolton after Carlton’s loss. “There is an over-focus on the senior coach” when things get tough at a club. Internal processes more important that external assessments. “People that aren’t AFL coaches think they know better”.

Audio podcast: https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=360329
(Buckley interview starts 3 minutes in)

Last edited by Woods on Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:55 pm

Whateley interview with Buckley that went to air at 9:00am this morning.

Interview covered:

Good to have win over Lions. Now all eyes on Essendon - a very quick side, playing with dare and kicking big scores. “Fortunes change really quickly. Are they a premiership contender again? … They’re playing some of the best footy in the comp at the moment.”

Buckley’s review of Port beating Eagles: Port play best when just hacking the ball forward and trusting their players to win the contests. West Coast lost ability to control the footy. Every team will analyse how Port beat the reigning premiers. (in-depth discussion on strategies teams have used against Eagles and how coaching staffs at clubs react to surprise wins).

Similar in-depth analysis focusing on St Kilda’s win (and Melb’s loss).

Is there a “mode of footy” that is proving most effective in 2019? Buckley: Freo’s offence is quite expansive. They and St Kilda have had the least scores kicked against. Good defences. Able to move the ball then defend behind it. “The truisms of footy will always remain - and that is that if you’re cleaner and harder at the contest you’re generally going to give yourself first crack at it”. Rest of game falls into place after that.

Will be looking at Hawthorn/Geelong game later today, but focus will be on Essendon.

Things to take from win over Lions into the game against Essendon: “We defended a lot better”. Pressure around the ball is seen as the Pies’ brand and “we were able to dial it up a bit further” in slippery conditions. “Were prepared for 2nd, 3rd, 4th effort if required - up for the fight in that regard.“

What about Mihocek? Buckley: He runs hard. Selfless. Breaks space. Creates opportunities for other forwards. Pays attention to the fine detail of his role. Courageous and greatly respected by team mates. “His growth and importance to us has been startling”. And early days - has only played 21 games in the AFL. “He’s such an uncomplicated guy, and so grateful”. He was on the Pies’ rookie draft list for many years. “He’s a pleasure to coach.”

ANZAC Day reflections for Buckley, and what goes on within the club during the week.

Interview ends with banter about why Buckley wears a smart watch on game days.

Audio podcast: https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=362362
(Buckley interview starts 3 minutes in)
K 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:58 pm

Our coach will appear on The Front Bar tomorrow night.
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:21 am

K wrote:
Our coach will appear on The Front Bar tomorrow night.

I bet Mick Molloy presents him with a jar of fig jam.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:22 pm

He's just been on. They asked about it. He said it was J. Anderson who gave that name.

Pang asked whether it's true North offered him $10,000.
Buckley: "They just gave it to me."

They also asked if he had any regrets from playing days.
He said it was that he didn't enjoy it enough because he was so focused.
The Average Tourist 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:28 am

Interested with the interview this week
Bucks is and has always been all class
Unlike the poor mans dawks from moonee ponds way

Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:49 am

Topics covered in this morning’s interview:

How to build a premiership squad - topping up, rebuilding etc. Can you short-cut the phases of list management? Sydney’s unspoken ‘rebuild’. Role of club culture and spirit eg. the Shin-boner spirit at North. What does Side-by-Side mean for Collingwood, then and now? The Bloods culture at Sydney.

Buckley’s ‘shame’ comment in reaction to booing on Anzac Day. “I was booing them”.

Reaction to story in today’s Australian that says the biggest sport in the country is also the angriest.

Umpire’s public review of five controversial Anzac Day decisions. “I like that the umpires can have a voice”.

The living legacy of Scott Pendlebury. He has attributes that bleed into others.

Wells return from injury - “there is time” remaining in this season.

Audio podcast: https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=365313
(Buckley interview starts at 4:45)
K 

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 12:07 am

Not Buckley, not Whateley, but Andrew Krakouer & Damian Barrett:

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode/365471

"There were no other factors but my own doing."

"It almost broke me."

"Up to half time, I was thinking things were going really well."
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 1:17 pm

Buckley on air with Whateley this Wednesday morning.

Interview topics included:

Liverpool’s big come-back win over Barcelona overnight and reaction of coach Klopp.

Buckley’s favorite overseas sports - mostly give attention “at the pointy end”, eg. NBA, NFL play offs, “when the whips are cracking”.

Value of AFL professional development trips overseas - if you come back with one or two small things is a win, but it’s very difficult to transfer what you learn back home.

Concept of destiny in competitive sport - “I’m a believer in belief”. Talks on effect of strong belief and “worthiness” on playing through finals.

Belief at Collingwood today - “As strong as its been”. Compares to 2002-03 years. Players are feeling like they are going to be rewarded for their efforts.

Carlton game next up - Buckley expecting rebound effort from Blues to make amends for poor performance. Their good footy earlier this year (eg. JLT game vs. Pies) is being overlooked.

Is Carlton/Collingwood rivalry still relevant? Yes, can’t be ignored. Game is national now and not as suburban as it once was. Still, “You put black and white stripes in with navy blue and you generally get a mix that’s compelling to watch”.

Whateley raises Eddie’s controversial comments on 3AW that Carlton should be looking at recruiting Hawthorn coach Clarkson. Buckley gives Eddie a bit of a slap saying that he’s glad Eddie made the comment wearing his media hat, “because if it was with his Collingwood hat on it would have been inconsistent with the way we want to carry ourselves and the way that we view our respect, and understanding of the fact that competition is important and we’ve got places and things to talk about and things to let go.”

Bit of quick-fire Q&A when Whateley ponders aloud whether Eddie ever made a similar call to Clarkson when Buckley’s job was on the line in recent years.
Buckley: “You’ll have to ask him”.
Whateley: “I might do that”.
Buckley: “Go for it”.
Whateley: “Do you think he might have [made the call to Clarkson]?”
Buckley: “Do you think you’ll get an audience to ask him?”
(Buckley invents a new word “supposian” in further discussion)

Whateley runs an audio clip from Fox Footy’s ‘AFL 360’ show last night of Mark Robinson asking whether giving up reading and watching the footy media has made Buckley more content; and Buckley responding “How honest do you want me to be?” Whateley asks what Buckley meant. Buckley: “A part of my distain for the media was through dealings with Mark at different times, so I had to be honest about that.”

Interview ends with a light-hearted discussion about Goldsack’s story in the press about coaches having pet players, and Buckley saying “a senior coach doesn’t and can’t have them”.

Buckley’s final comment was that Mason Cox won’t play on Saturday.

Audio podcast: https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=369098
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 8:41 am

Just watched one (no idea of its vintage) but it was engrossing

Bucks and Robbo less frosty and I have to say football is only one part of our man Buckley,s fabric

He is your complete modern man across many subject,s that deal in life’s journey

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:48 pm

BazBoy wrote:

He is your complete modern man across many subject,s that deal in life’s journey

For sure BazBoy - an extremely "evolved" individual (to use one of his own favourite terms Wink ) with a wisdom beyond his years.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:52 pm

What a great quote from Bucks - when asked by Gerard if he believes in destiny for a sporting club, he says "I believe in belief".
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 2:01 pm

Very intense —possibly too much thru early coaching years!!

That’s not a put down but every one on here and who watch his interviews
are seeing a more adaptable man

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 2 of 12   

Jump to: