Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Buckley's weekly interview with Gerard Whateley in 2019

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:47 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

What'sinaname wrote:

It showed a complete and utter lack of judgment and, unfortunately, a lack of class.

Maybe if MM had shown some class, it never would have happened.
Pebbles Rocks 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:21 pm

Ideally Bucks would have flat batted the questioning like he has for years when baited about MM. He finally retaliated. Ideally he should have kept the moral high ground, but frankly I can't blame him.
Does it distract our players, I highly doubt it....

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:29 pm

Poindexter Whateley set Bucks up with the timing of this?
MagpiesTheGreat 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:55 pm

Mick started it and threw a punch. Bucks just replied back with dignity and humor.

Let's end it here. Let Bucks focus on winning a few flags, and could someone pls wheel Mick back to the nursing home?
bally12 Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:53 pm

I'm more proud of Bucks today after he made those comments, for his genuineness and honesty. I'm proud that this man is leading and representing our club.

Mick, it says a lot that when you climbed the summit in 2010, and stood there on the podium, and chose to make it all about yourself.

And Robbo, how predictable that you use any opportunity to attack Bucks. You are a real sllime ball.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:01 am

Cam wrote:
Poindexter Whateley set Bucks up with the timing of this?

Gerard seemed fairly contrite about it all on AFL 360. Said he felt "culpable" for the minor uproar, by asking Bucks the question about his relationship with MM in the first place, but they were discussing the Hall of Fame night and he felt the timing of the question was relevant in view of MM's induction.
Who knows if it was a deliberate attempt to create some headlines??

However, Bucks could've said there was no relationship and left it at that, but he seemed to want to embellish his answer further. I interpreted that as Bucks finally having lost patience with the narky old man. Smile
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:18 am

Mr Miyagi wrote:
Absolute media beat-up, Bucks didn't instigate the talk and he answered the question pretty diplomatically and assertively. Muck-raking journalism at its worst.

100%. All of this narrative that gets built up around it is just rubbish. I listened to the interview. It's not a "feud", and Buckley isn't "standing up to him" or "retaliating" or "taking a shot" or anything else that's being suggested in this thread. He just answered the questions honestly and candidly, without malice. No wonder, as he said elsewhere in the interview, he has such little regard for the media sometimes.

scoobydoo 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:27 am

What'sinaname wrote:
Mr Miyagi wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
Just watched 7 news.

Buckley comes off pretty badly with what was shown.

oh rubbish, he does not.

Personally, it's good to see Bucks honest and not reading from the officially sanctioned club script.

It was shit....just as it would be shit if, say, Lumumba or Jolly spoke up about their relationship with NB the day after he was inducted in to the HoF.

It showed a complete and utter lack of judgment and, unfortunately, a lack of class.

Your comparing Bucks with lumumba & jolly 😂😂. No one is asking them
Bucks was asked & he answered. If you don’t like it whoopy
K 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:37 am

MM on afl.com.au:

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-06-04/mick-malthouse-afl-hall-of-fame-the-three-best-players-i-coached

The high interchange rotation thing started with Chris Connolly at Freo, not with our club.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:37 pm

David wrote:

100%. All of this narrative that gets built up around it is just rubbish. I listened to the interview. It's not a "feud", and Buckley isn't "standing up to him" or "retaliating" or "taking a shot" or anything else that's being suggested in this thread. .

Can't agree with this David. Bucks is an extremely smart person and he would've been well aware of the media consequences of speaking honestly, openly and at length about his view of MM. He's never done that previously and I think that some here have suggested valid reasons (not "rubbish" as you call it) for the change in his approach.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:21 pm

Buckley's regret over Malthouse coverage

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/buckley-s-regret-over-malthouse-coverage-20190606-p51v4l.html

"I agree with Mick. The focus on this one relationship is disappointing at this point in time given Mick's induction.

"The focus should be on his significant contribution to the game as a player and a coach. What I would do is direct people to the context of the comments and to actually go and see them in their entirety to understand it was about an understanding of Mick as a driven person and how that drive has pushed him to success in his career.

"Ultimately you break a few eggs along the way and some of those are broken relationships which in actual fact ours is but I don't think that should be the focus of what came out of that conversation, there was actually a lot of positivity and positive comment in what I said that not a lot would be aware of."
K 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:25 pm

Mick Malthouse responds

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/mick-malthouse-responds-to-buckley-s-master-manipulator-sledge-20190607-p51vpa.html

"It's had a massive effect on my family.

"There's a lot of quotes in there that I'm bewildered with and I just don't get some of the things he's remotely talking about quite frankly."
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:29 pm

I love how Bucks said, "I regret how it's played out in the media."

Nice swipe at the gutter journalists. Wink
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:45 pm

K wrote:
Mick Malthouse responds

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/mick-malthouse-responds-to-buckley-s-master-manipulator-sledge-20190607-p51vpa.html

"It's had a massive effect on my family.

"There's a lot of quotes in there that I'm bewildered with and I just don't get some of the things he's remotely talking about quite frankly."

Poor Mick. My heart bleeds for him. Bucks has ruined his whole HoF induction for the whole family. Gimme a break. What a sook. Someone finally gave this bully a dose of his own medicine and he’s folded up like a pricked balloon.

Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:50 am

A brief interview by phone with Buckley this morning …

What happens with the Bye? Buckley: A compacted review process today then players are released for five days. Have run mid-season player interviews during last few weeks with info flowing both ways. Process highlights the concordance (or not) of expectations between players and match committee. A more settled process, with greater clarity, these days than a few years ago.

What does 9 wins and 3 losses mean for the Pies? Strong first half of season. Still a lot of growth to come. Buckley recounts recent close wins against competitive teams that have beaten other top four sides (eg. Carlton beating Lions). Feels need to continue to judge by own internal club standards.

Where did the Demons game sit in the body of work to date?. Buckley: Sides have gone end-to-end against Pies too easily this year. Will continue to work on defensive processes.

Studs-Up decision against Howe. By the rules? “No”. AFL needs to publically clarify the grey area around the rule.

Score review system. Have faith in it? Buckley: Presume work going on behind scenes. Been a few stuff ups in a row. Will never be perfect but needs to be done better. Currently is better than not having a review system at all.

Personal break during Bye? “Yes”. Coaching and conditioning staff need breather as much as players. Need to renew energy levels.

Audio podcast at: https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=383160
(Note: A long intro monologue by Whateley. Buckley interview starts at 4:45.
Also, SEN has labeled the podcast with the wrong date of 10 June (instead of 11 June). If the station corrects this later on the hyperlink posted here may go dead).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 5 of 12   

Jump to: